Electrofoming

Old October 28th 03, 04:43 AM
Don Wagner

Default Electrofoming

I would like some advice on electroforming. There is a lot of information
available, to the point that I am suffering from info overload - I just want
to keep it simple, and find a good technique (or a book to buy) and good
proprietary solutions that will get the job done, and avoid hours of
experimentation if possible.

What I am trying to do is this: Take a piece of jewelry, and press it into
a mold (warm wax or other substrate), then dust the inverse image on the
substrate with conductive paint, and use electroforming copper solution to
create a hollow-backed replica of the original piece.

Is this as simple as it sounds? What products would you use? I am confused
by copper versus silver conductive paints, all the varieties of mold-making
material, etc.

Old October 28th 03, 03:06 PM
Heinrich Butschal

Don Wagner wrote:
I would like some advice on electroforming. There is a lot of
information available, to the point that I am suffering from info
overload - I just want to keep it simple, and find a good technique
(or a book to buy) and good proprietary solutions that will get the
job done, and avoid hours of experimentation if possible.

You will need months or better years to get perfect results.

What I am trying to do is this: Take a piece of jewelry, and press
it into a mold (warm wax or other substrate), then dust the inverse
image on the substrate with conductive paint, and use electroforming
copper solution to create a hollow-backed replica of the original
piece.

Is this as simple as it sounds? What products would you use? I am
confused by copper versus silver conductive paints, all the varieties
of mold-making material, etc.

Coppersolutions are working best to get a solid form.

--
Heinrich Butschal
Forschung und Entwicklung, Goldschmiedemeister