what is it YOU really stitch

Old February 6th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default what is it YOU really stitch

On Feb 5, 10:38*pm, lewmew wrote:
On Feb 5, 1:51*pm, wrote:

On Feb 5, 8:04*pm, lewmew wrote:

.

You are a good crafter

Watch out! *I think you've just been dissed!

Since i am not only a fiberartist myself , but a curator as well, I am
very serious and proffessional when i look at anybody`s work ...
mirjam

But the fact that YOU consider yourself an artist does not give you
the right to call the rest of us "crafters" in an insulting way.
Many, if not most, of us consider this to be OUR talent. *There are a
few sticklers for the chart, but more often than not we change it, we
make it our own. *Look at Anne or Lula; look at all the designers
here, even if they only design for their own pleasure. *Certainly
creating with a needle and thread IS art of a sort, even if it isn't
sewing tatters together and trying to make a statement.

Excuse me Lady who doesn`t sign her post ! The words `You Are a Good
Crafter` are a Great compliment , i consider myself a Good crafter as
well. Being a crafter doesn`t minimize one`s talent, on the contrary
it enhances one`s work. I have curated exhibitions where i streched
the lines of Craft & Art, Becuase the Border between them is very
delicate, almost unseen , still it is there. You all are looking so
much for fights and ways to insult, that you are not able to see when
somebody tries to 1. keep discussions on the Fiberwork 2. try to know
you all better through your fiber works. It is interesting that
YOU decided it was an insult while i teach and lecture and write about
how we should respect our craft side, since this is the base of our
art side.
The saying it is all in the EYE of the beholder fits here ... i gave a
compliment from the Bottom of my heart and knowledge , i specified
what i liked more and less , i haven`t oohhed and Ahhed blindly ,
because i speak from what i believe ,, had i ooohed and aahed over all
the works or said :" i love your works ".....this means nothing..
because Normally we all feel differently about different works, we
don`t think the same about all. What a pity that Lucretia , didn`t
read my words and started a reasonable proffesional talk about her
various works, i had some questions, about some of them ...But she
decided to mock my words instead .... pity.
mirjam
Old February 6th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Feb 5, 10:50*pm, "Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)"
Since i am not only a fiberartist myself , but a curator as well, I am
very serious and proffessional when i look at anybody`s work ...

I'd be careful when speaking about being professional. The Titanic was
built by professionals, the Ark was built by an amateur (albeit with a
bit of high-powered help!) g
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

When it suits you , you are proud to be well read about your stuff ,
Joining the CROWD doesn`t suit you ,
mirjam
Old February 6th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

You've made a good point there - I was disheartened to see MJ bragging
about how she cut up some old lace - I could never bring myself to do
that. I have used old pieces of lace, crochet etc that perhaps had
some small holes, or marks, but used them just the same, for their
intended purpose. Who cares if they are not spot on perfect, their
maker made them perfect at the time. They can be admired for the work
they exhibit, I do not feel they are mine to destroy.

I am also of the "can't cut it up" group, although in theory I accept that
it might be better sometimes to save some bit of a piece of work. Just
can't pick up the scissors.
Funny how that it. It is like books; some people are comfortable writing,
underlining and adding comments, some never can.
I have been interested in the altered book thing, but couldn't find a
"victim" I felt comfortable with. I solved my problem (I hope) by picking
up a hardback book writting in Chinese for $1 at our Library's discard
table. (Still haven't started to try to mark it though).
Dawne

Old February 6th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Feb 5, 11:53*pm, "Pat P" wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 5, 8:04 pm, lewmew wrote:

.

You are a good crafter

Watch out! I think you've just been dissed!

Since i am not only a fiberartist myself , but a curator as well, I am
very serious and proffessional when i look at anybody`s work ...
mirjam

I fail to see what`s wrong with saying that someone`s *"Good crafter" -
there`s nothing insulting in that at all. *Dare I say that some may be
looking for trouble where none was intended?

Pat

Thank you Pat !!!
I really meant well , i am proud myself to be a good crafter, in
courses and lectures people are delighted to hear that Phrase ,,,,And
i really was surprised whenabout the above reaction.
mirjam
Old February 6th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Feb 6, 12:04*am, lewmew wrote:
I fail to see what`s wrong with saying that someone`s *"Good crafter" -
there`s nothing insulting in that at all. *Dare I say that some may be
looking for trouble where none was intended?

Pat

I generally stay out of these, but I recall Mirjam haughtily informing
us about craftsmen v. artists before. *We "crafters" were not
favorably reviewed.

Lady who doesn`t sign her post, That is Not true at all , Knowing
one`s craft [as in proffesion] , one should know how to define
objects... and there are delicate differences, I never spoke
Haughily , maybe you have troubles with what you make thus you Jump om
my words.
Curating needs selections and definitions. Creating needs selections
and definitions ,, Being one of the fiberartists who helped Break the
borders in Israel for other fiberartists and fibercrafters, was
possible only by careful studying, reading reaseaching.
All Over The World, Fiberartists [esp Females] could Show & Exhibit
only after they carefully studied some Art-Codes , and than adapted
those codes into their fiberart, only to exhibit and than widen the
rules , to include more craft sides objects.
mirjam
Old February 6th 08, 11:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Altered books was what is it YOU really stitch

On 2/5/08 11:52 PM, in article , "Dawne
Peterson" wrote:

[...]

Dawne - I'm in the same boat. Looks really neat, but I always think that
somewhere some one needs that book to read.

BUT - I've seen an alternative - book shaped boxes in wood or papier-mâché.

Cheryl

Old February 6th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

lucretia borgia wrote:

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 22:52:59 -0600, "Dawne Peterson"
opined:

I am also of the "can't cut it up" group, although in theory I accept that
it might be better sometimes to save some bit of a piece of work. Just
can't pick up the scissors.
Funny how that it. It is like books; some people are comfortable writing,
underlining and adding comments, some never can.
I have been interested in the altered book thing, but couldn't find a
"victim" I felt comfortable with. I solved my problem (I hope) by picking
up a hardback book writting in Chinese for $1 at our Library's discard
table. (Still haven't started to try to mark it though).
Dawne

I only make one exception in books - cookery books. If I do a recipe,
I make a note as to whether it was worth the trouble, what I altered
if I did, etc. For the benefit of my kids when they get the books.

I didn't used to feel comfortable writing in books, but one of our
professors insisted on it. "Pick up your highlighter and mark the
sentence beginning 'Whooozywatsis'" Sure made it easier to do research
when I had the important parts of the books highlighted.

Mom does like Sheena, she'll write "good" or "bad" next to a recipe and
note any changes, but that's the only time I've ever known her to write
in a book.

Like Dawne, I'm a member of the "what if it's the last existing copy?"
club. With our library book sales, we had one woman in charge who
insisted that any non-fiction book over 5 years old should go in the
trash, and any fiction book that was not almost pristine should join it.
A friend and I would always manage to have some excuse to stay a few
more minutes after she left, and would then rescue all the books that
didn't meet her criteria. Neither of us wanted to be responsible for
the extinction of a title, and, let's face it, some non-fiction is still
valid information after 5 years: I wrote one of my college term papers
primarily from "A Contemporary History of the Hanseatic League", which
was published in the 1500s in Latin.

No, I wouldn't rely on the prices and open hours in a 20-year-old
tourist book, but I've had obsolete information in brand new tour books.
Nonetheless, the castle that was there in 1985 is probably still
there, and was still built by Prince Cookoo von Klock, noted wealthy
eccentric. Once I arrive at the location, I can call and find out what
hours they're open that week. Which I would do even if the tour guide
were titled "Outer Backwater 2008", because I know how much lag time
there is between the information being gathered and the book hitting the
stores.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 1/19/08 - Sesame Street group picture

WIP: Isabella's Garden, MLI The Teacher (gift to the library),
Bethany Angel, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf