what kiln to buy?

Old August 5th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
test

Default what kiln to buy?

I'm just starting out with making pottery and would like to get a kiln
for my home studio. I have no idea how to evaluate the various types and
brands before making a purchase. Can anyone offer guidelines or suggestions?

Thanks.
Karen
Old August 6th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
dkat

On Aug 5, 4:26 pm, test wrote:
I'm just starting out with making pottery and would like to get a kiln
for my home studio. I have no idea how to evaluate the various types and
brands before making a purchase. Can anyone offer guidelines or suggestions?

Thanks.
Karen

I have an L&L E28S. It has about the same cubic inches as a E23T but
is much easier to load than the taller and more narrow kilns and I can
get in very wide platters. This kiln is very easy to program and the
elements are protected more than other kilns. I really like my kiln.
It's rating is to cone 10 but you should fire below that. I fire cone
6 - cone 8 would be fine. Do a search because prices vary
considerably. This is not a minor expense so know what you are
looking for and what wiring you will need. Call the companies and
talk to them. They are all very friendly and have useful
information. Carefully follow the instructions - yes you really do
need to fire it the first time empty (for example). Good luck!

Donna

Old August 6th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
test

dkat wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:26 pm, test wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the reply. I'm registered for some classes this fall and
hope to learn a bit more before making the final decision but you've
given me something to start checking on.

Karen
Old August 6th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Dewitt

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 09:57:03 -0700, test wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I'm registered for some classes this fall and
hope to learn a bit more before making the final decision but you've
given me something to start checking on.

Karen

Also, consider a used kiln. Oftentimes, home kilns see very little
use before their owners move on to other hobbies. And while a
computer controlled kiln is convenient, a good old kiln-setter works
fine for most application. You can likely find a good used "hobby"
kiln with a kiln-setter for $350 - $400. And, if down the road, you
decide you want something bigger / fancier, you could probably sell
such a kiln for about what you paid for it.

As dkat mentioned, do check out the power requirements before buying a
kiln. You will likely have to have a special circuit installed, which
will cost a few $$'s. Insist on copper wiring! Kiln manufacturers
specify it. Aluminum tend to heat up and the connectors tend to burn
up.

deg
Old August 7th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
test

Dewitt wrote:
[...]

This sounds like a good plan. What's the power requirement... 220? That
could be a limiting factor. Better talk to my husband. Thanks!

Karen
Old August 8th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Dewitt

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 09:49:41 -0700, test wrote:

This sounds like a good plan. What's the power requirement... 220? That
could be a limiting factor. Better talk to my husband. Thanks!

Karen

Yes, most hobby type kilns in the US are 220 volts, though you should
be aware that some school / industrial kilns are 208 volts and you'll
want to avoid those. Your house wiring can almost certainly provide
220 volts. Likely more of an issue though is the number of amps that
the kiln will pull. You'll want to check to make sure your house
electrical panel can handle the amount of current (amps) that the kiln
requires. A typical smallish hobby kiln will require something like a
40 amp circuit and this will be specified by the manufacturer. If
your electrician isn't familiar with wiring for kilns, "remind" him
that the kiln will pull it's maximum amperage for an extended period
of time - as in 6 - 8 hours. Make sure to use the gauge copper wire
recommended by the manufacturer. Don't undersize it.

deg

Old September 12th 07, 07:10 AM
Nabeel Nabeel is offline
Junior Member

Hi, This post of mine is very beneficial and informative, however there are some specific facts or information that I require. If anyone can help me in this matter then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Last edited by Nabeel : April 3rd 14 at 08:35 AM.

Kiln cement and kiln repair Daniel Pottery 2 October 22nd 06 06:29 PM
FS: KILN - $125. Leo Lanthier Glass 8 May 20th 06 05:18 PM
kiln help please! Stephanie Coleman Pottery 0 June 20th 05 11:10 PM
Used Kiln parts and gas kiln build instructions Bri Pottery 4 August 10th 03 12:27 AM
New Kiln Bri Pottery 3 July 2nd 03 09:20 PM