New Here

Old April 1st 05, 06:35 PM
Camden

Hi Nadia!

Hi Tara! I'm Nadia - down here in Houston. I've been stitching for
about 10 years.....not as experienced as many of the very talented
people you'll meet on this ng.

Houston is where my sister lives. I'll be there at the end of April for
Easter (they are Russian Orthodox so are on a different calendar). Have
you been to the stitching store in Richmond (about 10 minutes outside of
Houston). VERY nice place. I went there this past November with my
sister and found a "Paisley Cat" design I stitched for my best friend.

Tons and tons of patterns and two resident Cornwall Cats (real cats,
that is) that made me want to stay there for hours just to pet them!

My husband is so funny. He's never taken much interest in my cross
stitching - until I made one and had it framed last year. When he saw
it all pretty and stretched behind the glass - he was proud of me and
you should have seen him swell when I presented it to his aunt!! (She
had made me a beautiful quilt for my housewarming and I wanted to do
something special in return.) Now he's always asking who the next
project is for and when I'm going to make something for our house!

That's how my husband is! He picks out the patterns for his relatives. I
did a gorgeous Lavendar and Lace Angel for his sister. He picked it and
picked the mat and frame (and of course paid for it) so it really was a
gift from the both of us. His sister was awe-struck. I'm not sure what
impressed her more - the actual stitching or his good taste!

Now that I'm into beading he is picking designs for his sisters for
their birthdays!

I'd love to know which pattern you used for this map! I've been
thinking of something similar for the study in my house - we just moved
in last year.

The pattern is "Olde World Map" from Janlynn (#015-0223)
(http://www.janlynn.com/detail.cfm?ID=4064)

I got the kit but was going to stitch it on linen when the husband
stated that he liked the Aida just fine. Since it's going in his room I
didn't really care either way. I think it would look wonderful on a
sepia-colored linen!

Last night my husband gave me my last birthday present - a new scanner
for my computer! I have an overload of scanners - this makes 4; however,
they all have different purposes (desktop, laptop, etc.) This one is the
HP Scanjet 4600. It's not like a standard scanner. It can be placed on
TOP of documents. As I am always doing research in 200-300 year old
documents it's wonderful to be able to scan them without lifting them
off of the table. But what really prompted my husband to get it for me
was the ability to scan my finished cross stitch pieces. He wanted me to
have a way to scan them and not just take a distant digital photo of them.

What a considerate man!!

Tara

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 12:35:02 PM

Old April 1st 05, 06:57 PM
Gill Murray

Camden wrote:
Hi Gillian (love that name)

Yep - first husband was a sailor and that's how I ended up here. 2nd
husband is a local - I didn't want to go through being a navy wife again!

Tara

Welcom from me in Central Florida, also. It sounds to me that you must
be up at King's Bay or the St Mary's area, somewhere I know very
well!!Welcome aboard!!

Gillian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 12:18:10 PM

I had 19 1/2 years as a submariner's wife, until he died in 1981. Our
dearest friends were at Kings Bay; sadly they both passed away 8 years
ago, in their early 60s. The service in the Base Chapel was lovely!

Gillian
Old April 1st 05, 08:25 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen wrote:
http://www.homespunsamplar.com/produ...ucts_id= 9530

Haven't started it yet, but it's in my mental queue. (If you know
what I mean....it'll be my "reward" when I finished two other works
in progress!)

That's one huge - and gorgeous - sampler. :-) We will expect pictures
if you ever finish it! :-)
Dianne
--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old April 1st 05, 08:54 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Warning - Jim does rather excellent nudes.
Cheryl

On 4/1/05 11:40 AM, in article , "Camden"
wrote:

Hi Jim,

I noticed your posts before - male stitchers are somewhat rare so it's
good you're a part of this group!

This husband (James) isn't at all interested in doing any stitching
himself. Basically, if it doesn't involve networking or game play on the
computer he doesn't want to put the effort into it (yes, I use all the
power tools in this house)!

However, my first husband was a submariner and would bring a stitching
project with him to help pass the time. Now that he is retired he
doesn't stitch at all (similar syndrome to the 2nd husband - if it
doesn't grow grass or have a keyboard he's not interested anymore).

I don't mind - I like being able to contribute something to the family
that isn't taken for granted. :-)

I'm going to check out your web site and forward it to my husband.

Tara

Welcome Tara. Yes we are a friendly group, most of the time. If and
when we get fractious again, I hope you will just ignore such messages.
There are a few of us males who frequent rctn, and I notice your DH shows
some interest, but has not done any actual stitching. Could I direct his
eyes to my web pages at
www.ncf.ca/~bf906? I would be interested in his
comments.
--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 11:40:21 AM

Old April 1st 05, 09:46 PM
Camden

Hi Sue,

What a wonderful site! No, I hadn't seen that sampler before but it is
beautiful!

I did see a couple on this site that are remonisent of gravestone artwork:
http://www.homespunsamplar.com/produ...oducts_id=7766

(Phoebe Brown)
http://www.homespunsamplar.com/product_info.php?cPath=52_75&products_id=7765(Pati ence

Ivy)

The ones I just ordered from Wyndham Needleworks a
Mary Hunt Sampler:
http://www.wyndhamneedleworks.com/Go..._1767-1788.htm
The Olde Churchyard:
http://www.wyndhamneedleworks.com/De...churchyard.htm
And my FAVORITE - Sarah Hook Sampler:
http://www.wyndhamneedleworks.com/Ca...sarah_hook.htm
From this sampler: "When I am dead and in my grave and all my bones are
rotten; Remember me when this you see that I be not forgotten." 1824

I have a 3 ring binder I keep my "to-do" patterns in. That way I do them
in order based on their "due date" - otherwise I get too distracted by
the new patterns I can't help but buy!

Tara
(Is there a 12-step program for people like us?)

Welcome, Tara!

Don't know if you've seen this one: I call it the "morbid sampler." It's
not a mourning sampler, but has a Gothic/Gorey-esque feel to it and I
LOVE IT! It's called "The Houses of Hawk Run Hollow":

http://www.homespunsamplar.com/produ...ucts_id= 9530

Haven't started it yet, but it's in my mental queue. (If you know what I
mean....it'll be my "reward" when I finished two other works in progress!)

Sue

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 3:46:56 PM

Old April 1st 05, 09:50 PM
Camden

Hey Val,

My area of interest (cemetery-related) also extends into the Charlton
Co. area. Charlton used to be part of my county so I tend to cover both.

I have started to order from some online places such as Nordic Needle,
Vermillion Stitchery and now Wyndham Needleworks. I have not purchased
fabric from any of these places as I like to pick that out in person.

When I travel I'm going to check in with this group first so that I can
visit stitching stores on the way to my destination!

Tara

val189 wrote:
welcome aboard - I know your area - pretty - we cut thru Folkston, St.
George, Tarboro etc to bypass Jacksonville and the rest of the 95
nightmare when heading to the Northeast from SW Florida.

I understand about no wall space - I'm getting there too - now I work
on small pictures and pillows (needlepoint and petit point) plus gifts.

Ppl here can tell you where to mail order for supplies, if you are that
far from an lns.

val

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 3:50:48 PM

Old April 1st 05, 09:53 PM
Camden

Thanks for the web site - I'm going to look into it. I have a dear
friend who I'd love to stitch for but haven't found the "right" project.
This sounds perfect for her as her ancestry is Swedish. She still has
close relatives in Sweden. I think she'd love something that is
reminiscent of her homeland. She's an archaeologist and does not stitch
at all but loves the finished projects.

I knew I'd be introduced to new and fun things in this group. :-) !

Tara

clancy wrote:
Huck Weaving is a Swedish needleart - it can be done on a variety of fabrics
like monk's cloth, aida, evenweaves, etc. It's a surface embroidery which
looks lovely on afghans, tablecloths, placemats, clothing. It is so
relaxing to do and isn't hard at all - also a great carry along. If you'd
like to look at some examples, go to http://averyhill.com ... they have some
beautiful work on their site.

Have a great time at the used book store - they're fun places to loot thru.

Sharon (N.B.)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 3:53:37 PM

Old April 1st 05, 10:03 PM
Camden

My sympathies go out to you. I have a couple of good friends who are
Navy wifes - one is a homemaker and they are currently stationed in
Italy (lucky them). After their Italian tour they may be coming back to
our area. They are both Italian and have family in Italy so it was a
wonderful opportunity to have their young daughter spend some time
growing up over there.

The other friend is here in town. She hasn't been married long enough to
have her husband have a shore duty - she's afraid that if he's home all
the time their marriage will fall apart! Wouldn't be the first!

I had 19 1/2 years as a submariner's wife, until he died in 1981. Our
dearest friends were at Kings Bay; sadly they both passed away 8 years
ago, in their early 60s. The service in the Base Chapel was lovely!

Gillian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 4:03:12 PM

Old April 1st 05, 10:08 PM
Camden

My son has a crush on his cousin and she has a crush on him. They
haven't seen each other in 6 years but they talk on the phone and play
computer games online together (she likes "guy" games so she must be
good in his eyes - he is a "nice" boy so she likes him!)

I'm taking him with me to visit them at the end of the month. They are
both so giddy with excitement it's funny. Cousin crushes are normal.
I'll tease him until he turns purple (not hard to do right now). She's
already asked her mom the dreaded question, "Can cousins get married?"
As she is only 8 I have a strong feeling this will all pass. While they
are biologically different ages she's very mature and very smart (and
tall) for her age.

We'll be keeping a CLOSE eye on these two!

Tara

Hi Cheryl,

Oh yeah, a teenager in the house. Puberty is such a great time (not)!

NO, it is not. Though it is fun to see him attempt to shrink into
invisibility when:
A. Mom or Dad bump into a friend/coworker in a restaurant, store or anywhere
else.
B. Dad or Mom realizes he's being checked out
Or WORST
He's doing the once over.

The memorial samplers are a lost art over here; however, I'm doing my
best to bring attention to them.

GO FOR IT!

Cheryl

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 4:08:12 PM