New Here

Old April 1st 05, 01:54 PM
val189

welcome aboard - I know your area - pretty - we cut thru Folkston, St.
George, Tarboro etc to bypass Jacksonville and the rest of the 95
nightmare when heading to the Northeast from SW Florida.

I understand about no wall space - I'm getting there too - now I work
on small pictures and pillows (needlepoint and petit point) plus gifts.

Ppl here can tell you where to mail order for supplies, if you are that
far from an lns.

val

Old April 1st 05, 01:58 PM
Gill Murray

Camden wrote:

Hello all (or as we say down here in SE Georgia, "Hey, all ya'all!")

My name is Tara. I've been lurking for about 6 weeks. As I've been part
of some negative newsgroups in the past, I always lurk so I can get a
"feel" for the group. This is such a friendly place, I figured I'd give
it a shot!

My eldest sister introduced me to stitching when I was 14 and living in
San Francisco. Today is my 33rd birthday so that means I've been
stitching for 19 years! My middle sister has also been stitching for
that long - but she took off many years while she pursued other
interests. She's been "back in the fold" for 10 years or so. I love
stitching on linen. I've just started to expand into other types of
projects - box tops, pillows, etc. It just gets toooooo expensive to
keep framing things! (Not to mention I have totally run out of wall
space - even though half my framed pieces are in the closet or were
given as gifts to friends and family!)

My most recent "big" projects have been two Mirabilia Fairies (Woodland
and Midsummer). I love them both - the husband picked out Midsummer
while Woodland is for me. We just sent them off the to framer's. It took
6 months to save up the money (and the nerve) because we wanted to "do
it right" the first time. With them went some Medieval Musical Angels I
did for my eldest sister's birthday. As her birthday was on Christmas
it's a bit late. Actually the stitching was DONE by Christmas - I just
couldn't get it framed till now!

I have a husband and a 13 year old son. As my son LOVES dragons I have
been collecting dragon patterns to stitch for him. We recently got to
meet Jennifer Aikman-Smith of Dragon Dreams. While my son usually dreads
my trips to the stitch store he loved getting a chance to meet the "lady
who creates dragons" and to pick out one of her patterns himself.

My husband is quite willing to pick out patterns and as he has good
taste I don't mind. He can't visualize a finished project just looking
at a photo or the pattern so he goes to my stitching store and looks at
the projects on the walls and picks one. I also did an ornate Geisha duo
based on his findings and it worked out very well. I like being able to
stitching things that I *know* he will like to look at.

I've been working on some other projects - I'm always stitching
something. I just made a couple of couch caddies for friends of mine. As
I wasn't using any particular pattern I made them differently each time.
I told them they were my guinea pigs so they had to give me feedback on
design ideas. Currently I'm stitching an ancient world map for my
husband (this one gets to go in his office - the first thing to go on
his walls and we've been in this house for 5 1/2 years)!

We have a lovely Cross Stitch store in Jacksonville, FL - about 45-60
minutes from my home. Nothing good closer. I go there whenever possible.

My most recent interests are "Mourning Samplers" - samplers created to
commemorate the dead. As I do cemetery research and documentation this a
natural progression for me. I have ordered a couple patterns but as they
are pretty rare any find is like Christmas! A friend of mine gave me a
good for my birthday that has a Mourning Sampler pattern in it. I am to
give a presentation on gravestone art and symbolism at my local
historical society in April and I will be bringing in my Samplers to
demonstrate not only the show that the symbolism is the same - but that
you can have gravestone art in your home without being accused of being
morbid or "Gothic"!

Hope I didn't run off at the mouth too much. I've been sick all month
and pretty much a homebody. I'm just starting to feel better and want to
socialize again!

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell.

I'm glad I found this group and I hope I can contribute to the group!

Tara

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-1, 03/30/2005
Tested on: 3/31/2005 7:20:52 PM

Welcom from me in Central Florida, also. It sounds to me that you must
be up at King's Bay or the St Mary's area, somewhere I know very
well!!Welcome aboard!!

Gillian
Old April 1st 05, 02:05 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Welcome Tara!
I have a almost 13 year old son too - aren't they fun.

My husband is really into genealogy, so we have spent time in cemeteries,
but mostly in Germany and not since DS arrived. I've seen a few of the
memorial samplers in some homes in Germany and England, but not locally.

I'm looking forward for more posts from you!

Cheryl

Old April 1st 05, 03:03 PM
Nadia Abbasi

Camden wrote:
Hello all (or as we say down here in SE Georgia, "Hey, all ya'all!")

My name is Tara. I've been lurking for about 6 weeks. As I've been

part
of some negative newsgroups in the past, I always lurk so I can get a

"feel" for the group. This is such a friendly place, I figured I'd

give
it a shot!

Hi Tara! I'm Nadia - down here in Houston. I've been stitching for
about 10 years.....not as experienced as many of the very talented
people you'll meet on this ng.

My husband is quite willing to pick out patterns and as he has good
taste I don't mind. He can't visualize a finished project just

looking
at a photo or the pattern so he goes to my stitching store and looks

at
the projects on the walls and picks one. I also did an ornate Geisha

duo
based on his findings and it worked out very well. I like being able

stitching things that I *know* he will like to look at.

My husband is so funny. He's never taken much interest in my cross
stitching - until I made one and had it framed last year. When he saw
it all pretty and stretched behind the glass - he was proud of me and
you should have seen him swell when I presented it to his aunt!! (She
had made me a beautiful quilt for my housewarming and I wanted to do
something special in return.) Now he's always asking who the next
project is for and when I'm going to make something for our house!

I've been working on some other projects - I'm always stitching
something. I just made a couple of couch caddies for friends of mine.

As
I wasn't using any particular pattern I made them differently each

time.
I told them they were my guinea pigs so they had to give me feedback

on
design ideas. Currently I'm stitching an ancient world map for my
husband (this one gets to go in his office - the first thing to go on

his walls and we've been in this house for 5 1/2 years)!

I'd love to know which pattern you used for this map! I've been
thinking of something similar for the study in my house - we just moved
in last year.

Tara

Nadia

Old April 1st 05, 05:40 PM
Camden

Hi Jim,

I noticed your posts before - male stitchers are somewhat rare so it's
good you're a part of this group!

This husband (James) isn't at all interested in doing any stitching
himself. Basically, if it doesn't involve networking or game play on the
computer he doesn't want to put the effort into it (yes, I use all the
power tools in this house)!

However, my first husband was a submariner and would bring a stitching
project with him to help pass the time. Now that he is retired he
doesn't stitch at all (similar syndrome to the 2nd husband - if it
doesn't grow grass or have a keyboard he's not interested anymore).

I don't mind - I like being able to contribute something to the family
that isn't taken for granted. :-)

I'm going to check out your web site and forward it to my husband.

Tara

Welcome Tara. Yes we are a friendly group, most of the time. If and
when we get fractious again, I hope you will just ignore such messages.
There are a few of us males who frequent rctn, and I notice your DH shows
some interest, but has not done any actual stitching. Could I direct his
eyes to my web pages at www.ncf.ca/~bf906? I would be interested in his
comments.
--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 11:40:21 AM

Old April 1st 05, 05:43 PM
clancy

Huck Weaving is a Swedish needleart - it can be done on a variety of fabrics
like monk's cloth, aida, evenweaves, etc. It's a surface embroidery which
looks lovely on afghans, tablecloths, placemats, clothing. It is so
relaxing to do and isn't hard at all - also a great carry along. If you'd
like to look at some examples, go to http://averyhill.com ... they have some
beautiful work on their site.

Have a great time at the used book store - they're fun places to loot thru.

Sharon (N.B.)

"Camden" wrote in message
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the welcome! I don't get bored - just tired!

Saturday my husband is taking me "to the city" to hit a used book store
(lots of cross stitch books and patterns as well as history - yum!) And
I don't have to make him dinner as he's also taking me out! As I stated,
I've been stuck at home most of this month so I'm *really* looking
forward to the trip.

What is huck weaving? I tried quilting and must say I really stunk at
it. I leave quilting to my sister (who does all things beautifully,
curse her). :-)

Tara

Welcome Tara - you're a very busy girl with a lot of interests - that's
great ... I cannot keep my hands idle either - I adore cross-stitch but

also
love quilting and huck weaving (new love) plus a million more things ...

cannot imagine how people get bored. Tomorrow the husband is going away

for
the day so I'm going to sit down with some music and just stitch the

whole
day .... welllll, maybe I'll make him a lasagne as a surprise when he

does
get home - I'll get that over with first thing in the morning. :-))

Sharon (N.B.)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-1, 03/30/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 1:57:28 AM

Old April 1st 05, 06:18 PM
Camden

Hi Gillian (love that name)

Yep - first husband was a sailor and that's how I ended up here. 2nd
husband is a local - I didn't want to go through being a navy wife again!

Tara

Welcom from me in Central Florida, also. It sounds to me that you must
be up at King's Bay or the St Mary's area, somewhere I know very
well!!Welcome aboard!!

Gillian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 12:18:10 PM

Old April 1st 05, 06:20 PM
Camden

Hi Cheryl,

Oh yeah, a teenager in the house. Puberty is such a great time (not)!

The memorial samplers are a lost art over here; however, I'm doing my
best to bring attention to them.

There is a relatively new pattern (can't recall the name or company
off-hand) that is for memorializing the passing of a baby. It was rather
sweet but not like the old samplers (in style) at all.

Tara

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Welcome Tara!
I have a almost 13 year old son too - aren't they fun.

My husband is really into genealogy, so we have spent time in cemeteries,
but mostly in Germany and not since DS arrived. I've seen a few of the
memorial samplers in some homes in Germany and England, but not locally.

I'm looking forward for more posts from you!

Cheryl

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 12:20:59 PM

Old April 1st 05, 06:21 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

clancy wrote:

Huck Weaving is a Swedish needleart - it can be done on a variety of fabrics
like monk's cloth, aida, evenweaves, etc. It's a surface embroidery which
looks lovely on afghans, tablecloths, placemats, clothing. It is so
relaxing to do and isn't hard at all - also a great carry along. If you'd
like to look at some examples, go to http://averyhill.com ... they have some
beautiful work on their site.

Actually, huck weaving is distinctive in that it's worked on huck cloth
- either cotton or linen. This cloth has floaters (aida also has
floaters) and none of the thread is on the back side of the work . . .
it is all on the front.

The weaving done on even weaves or monks cloth is worked differently,
since there are no floaters, and the stitches cross on the back side.
It's a modern-day version of huck (Swedish) weaving.

Yes, it can be quite beautiful. It's a simple darning process to
master. You'll be a pro with your first piece. :-)

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old April 1st 05, 06:30 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Camden wrote:

My most recent interests are "Mourning Samplers" - samplers created to
commemorate the dead. As I do cemetery research and documentation this a
natural progression for me. I have ordered a couple patterns but as they
are pretty rare any find is like Christmas! A friend of mine gave me a
good for my birthday that has a Mourning Sampler pattern in it. I am to
give a presentation on gravestone art and symbolism at my local
historical society in April and I will be bringing in my Samplers to
demonstrate not only the show that the symbolism is the same - but that
you can have gravestone art in your home without being accused of being
morbid or "Gothic"!

Welcome, Tara!

Don't know if you've seen this one: I call it the "morbid sampler." It's
not a mourning sampler, but has a Gothic/Gorey-esque feel to it and I
LOVE IT! It's called "The Houses of Hawk Run Hollow":

http://www.homespunsamplar.com/produ...ucts_id= 9530

Haven't started it yet, but it's in my mental queue. (If you know what I
mean....it'll be my "reward" when I finished two other works in progress!)

Sue