New Here

Old April 1st 05, 01:20 AM
Camden

Default New Here

Hello all (or as we say down here in SE Georgia, "Hey, all ya'all!")

My name is Tara. I've been lurking for about 6 weeks. As I've been part
of some negative newsgroups in the past, I always lurk so I can get a
"feel" for the group. This is such a friendly place, I figured I'd give
it a shot!

My eldest sister introduced me to stitching when I was 14 and living in
San Francisco. Today is my 33rd birthday so that means I've been
stitching for 19 years! My middle sister has also been stitching for
that long - but she took off many years while she pursued other
interests. She's been "back in the fold" for 10 years or so. I love
stitching on linen. I've just started to expand into other types of
projects - box tops, pillows, etc. It just gets toooooo expensive to
keep framing things! (Not to mention I have totally run out of wall
space - even though half my framed pieces are in the closet or were
given as gifts to friends and family!)

My most recent "big" projects have been two Mirabilia Fairies (Woodland
and Midsummer). I love them both - the husband picked out Midsummer
while Woodland is for me. We just sent them off the to framer's. It took
6 months to save up the money (and the nerve) because we wanted to "do
it right" the first time. With them went some Medieval Musical Angels I
did for my eldest sister's birthday. As her birthday was on Christmas
it's a bit late. Actually the stitching was DONE by Christmas - I just
couldn't get it framed till now!

I have a husband and a 13 year old son. As my son LOVES dragons I have
been collecting dragon patterns to stitch for him. We recently got to
meet Jennifer Aikman-Smith of Dragon Dreams. While my son usually dreads
my trips to the stitch store he loved getting a chance to meet the "lady
who creates dragons" and to pick out one of her patterns himself.

My husband is quite willing to pick out patterns and as he has good
taste I don't mind. He can't visualize a finished project just looking
at a photo or the pattern so he goes to my stitching store and looks at
the projects on the walls and picks one. I also did an ornate Geisha duo
based on his findings and it worked out very well. I like being able to
stitching things that I *know* he will like to look at.

I've been working on some other projects - I'm always stitching
something. I just made a couple of couch caddies for friends of mine. As
I wasn't using any particular pattern I made them differently each time.
I told them they were my guinea pigs so they had to give me feedback on
design ideas. Currently I'm stitching an ancient world map for my
husband (this one gets to go in his office - the first thing to go on
his walls and we've been in this house for 5 1/2 years)!

We have a lovely Cross Stitch store in Jacksonville, FL - about 45-60
minutes from my home. Nothing good closer. I go there whenever possible.

My most recent interests are "Mourning Samplers" - samplers created to
commemorate the dead. As I do cemetery research and documentation this a
natural progression for me. I have ordered a couple patterns but as they
are pretty rare any find is like Christmas! A friend of mine gave me a
good for my birthday that has a Mourning Sampler pattern in it. I am to
give a presentation on gravestone art and symbolism at my local
historical society in April and I will be bringing in my Samplers to
demonstrate not only the show that the symbolism is the same - but that
you can have gravestone art in your home without being accused of being
morbid or "Gothic"!

Hope I didn't run off at the mouth too much. I've been sick all month
and pretty much a homebody. I'm just starting to feel better and want to
socialize again!

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell.

I'm glad I found this group and I hope I can contribute to the group!

Tara

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-1, 03/30/2005
Tested on: 3/31/2005 7:20:52 PM

Old April 1st 05, 03:26 AM
gastitcher

hey tara,
I also live in south GA . In a town called Fitzgerald . Where do
you live? You are lucky to have a husband that is interested in your
hand work
mine just says I don't care Just don't tell me how much money you
spend.
take care
carol

Old April 1st 05, 04:14 AM
bungadora

Camden wrote:
Hello all (or as we say down here in SE Georgia, "Hey, all ya'all!")

(snipperoo)

My most recent interests are "Mourning Samplers" - samplers created

commemorate the dead. As I do cemetery research and documentation

this a
natural progression for me. I have ordered a couple patterns but as

they
are pretty rare any find is like Christmas! A friend of mine gave me

good for my birthday that has a Mourning Sampler pattern in it. I am

give a presentation on gravestone art and symbolism at my local
historical society in April and I will be bringing in my Samplers to
demonstrate not only the show that the symbolism is the same - but

that
you can have gravestone art in your home without being accused of

being
morbid or "Gothic"!

Is this mostly 18th century? I recall a Piecework article years ago on
this sort of thing, although I think was mostly quilted/applique work,
e.g. a little graveyard quilt with coffins for all of the family
members if I remember correctly.

We forget what it was like to have a high mortality rate.

Welcome, btw
Dora

Old April 1st 05, 04:46 AM
clancy

Welcome Tara - you're a very busy girl with a lot of interests - that's
great ... I cannot keep my hands idle either - I adore cross-stitch but also
love quilting and huck weaving (new love) plus a million more things ... I
cannot imagine how people get bored. Tomorrow the husband is going away for
the day so I'm going to sit down with some music and just stitch the whole
day .... welllll, maybe I'll make him a lasagne as a surprise when he does
get home - I'll get that over with first thing in the morning. :-))

Sharon (N.B.)

Old April 1st 05, 07:51 AM
Camden

I've heard of Fitzgerald - though I don't remember if I've been there!

I am in Camden Co. - extreme southeast corner. Tucked between
Jacksonville, FL and Savannah, GA on the coast. Nice area.

Do you have a good stitching store in your area? I travel across south
GA to go to my mom's house in Bainbridge. Always looking for a place to
go on the way to break up the 4-hour drive!

Tara

gastitcher wrote:
hey tara,
I also live in south GA . In a town called Fitzgerald . Where do
you live? You are lucky to have a husband that is interested in your
hand work
mine just says I don't care Just don't tell me how much money you
spend.
take care
carol

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-1, 03/30/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 1:51:44 AM

Old April 1st 05, 07:54 AM
Camden

Dora,

18th and 19th century. It lost popularity in the mid-1800s. After
embroidery was taken over by machines many of these types of samplers
disappeared.

Not only do we forget about the high mortality - but people had a
different mind set towards death. We fear it so much today - but at one
time people thought of death as a "relief" from a terribly hard life. So
people were remembered but death wasn't something to hide in the closet.

Tara

Is this mostly 18th century? I recall a Piecework article years ago on
this sort of thing, although I think was mostly quilted/applique work,
e.g. a little graveyard quilt with coffins for all of the family
members if I remember correctly.

We forget what it was like to have a high mortality rate.

Welcome, btw
Dora

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-1, 03/30/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 1:54:25 AM

Old April 1st 05, 07:57 AM
Camden

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the welcome! I don't get bored - just tired!

Saturday my husband is taking me "to the city" to hit a used book store
(lots of cross stitch books and patterns as well as history - yum!) And
I don't have to make him dinner as he's also taking me out! As I stated,
I've been stuck at home most of this month so I'm *really* looking
forward to the trip.

What is huck weaving? I tried quilting and must say I really stunk at
it. I leave quilting to my sister (who does all things beautifully,
curse her). :-)

Tara

Welcome Tara - you're a very busy girl with a lot of interests - that's
great ... I cannot keep my hands idle either - I adore cross-stitch but also
love quilting and huck weaving (new love) plus a million more things ... I
cannot imagine how people get bored. Tomorrow the husband is going away for
the day so I'm going to sit down with some music and just stitch the whole
day .... welllll, maybe I'll make him a lasagne as a surprise when he does
get home - I'll get that over with first thing in the morning. :-))

Sharon (N.B.)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-1, 03/30/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 1:57:28 AM

Old April 1st 05, 07:58 AM
Camden

Lucille wrote:
Welcome to our world. It's nice to hear from someone new.

Lucille

Thank you! You might hear from me more than you want - my family calls
me "motor mouth"! (Motor fingers?)

Tara

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-1, 03/30/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 1:58:59 AM

Old April 1st 05, 12:38 PM
F.James Cripwell

Camden ) writes:
Hello all (or as we say down here in SE Georgia, "Hey, all ya'all!")

My name is Tara. I've been lurking for about 6 weeks. As I've been part
of some negative newsgroups in the past, I always lurk so I can get a
"feel" for the group. This is such a friendly place, I figured I'd give
it a shot!

(snip)
[...]

Welcome Tara. Yes we are a friendly group, most of the time. If and
when we get fractious again, I hope you will just ignore such messages.
There are a few of us males who frequent rctn, and I notice your DH shows
some interest, but has not done any actual stitching. Could I direct his
eyes to my web pages at www.ncf.ca/~bf906? I would be interested in his
comments.
--
Jim Cripwell.