Nice Quilt Story

Old October 2nd 04, 05:19 AM
Sk8eraunt

Default Nice Quilt Story

This article appeared in yesterday's newspaper. I thought the story was too
nice not to share!

kaila

Woman, special quilt reunited after a year

Nancy Clark-Puffer
Special for The Republic
Sept. 30, 2004 12:00 AM

MESA - All the cynics and naysayers who said Kristi Allen would never find her
lost heirloom jean quilt after a year of searching were wrong. On Friday, the
30-year-old Mesa woman was reunited with her beloved jean quilt after a Tempe
woman saw the story of her lost quilt in The Arizona Republic.

"I couldn't believe it. I could not believe it," Allen said. "When I got to
work and they said, 'You've got to call this lady, Debbie, she thinks she found
your quilt,' and I about fell over."

Debbie Clegg, 52, of Tempe, found Allen's quilt more than a year ago at a camp
near Payson and has been storing it in a Rubbermaid bin at her home ever since.

"I just can't tell you how I felt when I saw that picture in the paper," Clegg
said, referring to the Sept. 20 article that appeared in the Republic's
Southeast Valley Monday section. "All you had to do was look at that quilt and
you knew that it was just someone's memories, all tied together in this quilt.
So it really, really bothered me.

"I just kept thinking, what do I do with this quilt? I can't just get rid of
it. It was clear that someone had put a lot of work into it. And I just kept
thinking someone has to really be sad about this quilt."

Indeed, the quilt was a family heirloom made from patches of the blue jeans
worn by Allen as a little girl and stitched together by her mother, Lonnie
Halls, 53, of Mesa. Allen received the quilt from her mother as a Christmas
gift when she was 13. All seven of Allen's siblings also have a one-of-a-kind
heirloom jean quilt made by their mother from their own childhood blue jeans.

In summer 2003, Clegg served as director for a church camp that met at the same
site where Allen had attended a separate church camp two weeks earlier. Another
group used the camp in between their two groups.

Allen's daughters believed they had packed the quilt in the back of their truck
when they left for home, but when they arrived it wasn't there. They thought it
must have tumbled out of the truck somewhere along Arizona 87. But the quilt
had been left behind at the camp, and someone later brought it to Clegg to
figure out whom it belonged to. She decided to just hold on to the quilt for a
while, storing it in her exercise room.

"I had debated, honestly for a year, because I walk on the treadmill all summer
long, and so every day there was that quilt and I thought a million times, and
I kept thinking, . . . 'How do you handle this treasure that you feel like
someone is looking for and someone is missing?' "

On Sept. 20, Clegg began clearing out her exercise room for remodeling. With
little time to read the paper that day, she nearly tossed it out but decided to
quickly skim over the front pages early next morning. That's when she saw
Allen's story and immediately set out to contact her.

Four days later, she delivered the quilt to Allen where she works at Dizin
Salon in Tempe, just a few blocks from Clegg's home.

"This lady has just been hanging on to it. It's crazy. She's just been
waiting," Allen said with disbelief. "I was so excited. I just really feel like
it was meant to be."

Old October 2nd 04, 03:34 PM
nana2b

What a lovely story to start the day. I warms my heart to know that there
are people out there that still do the right thing.

It is what I would have done. Linda