Aussie/NZ Block Swap: First call!

Old February 24th 04, 11:43 AM
RLW

Default Aussie/NZ Block Swap: First call!

Following hard on the success of our two round robins, we're having a third
go. This time we're doing a structured block swap.

I urge all Aussie and Kiwi quilters to join in the fun. Please email me
) with your name, address and group preference by March
1st if you're interested.

It's a great way to interact with other quilters and hone your skills at the
same time. Below are the details.

Rowena.

P.S. For anyone new who missed out on the last two round robins, Fran has
graciously put the pictures he

2003: http://community.webshots.com/album/69845366bgYPBO
2004: http://community.webshots.com/album/116049260lvUxyg

* Aussie/NZ Block Swap *
The idea is that each round, everyone makes enough identical 6" blocks of
the specified type for everyone in her group (including herself). She then
posts out a block to each other person in her group (a business size
envelope should be sufficient) and keeps her own. If there are six in her
group she should have a total of 36 blocks at the end of the swap.

Group 1 will be making blocks in neutral colours. Group 2 will be making
brights. I think that should give enough scope for everyone to use colours
they like while still having a reasonably coherent quilt top at the end of
it.

Everyone who is interested, please email me with your address and which
group you'd prefer to be in. If we don't get enough people for one group
then we can vote on alternative colour schemes.

Here's the order to make the blocks:

Round 1: Star blocks. Any kind of star you like. Due: 31st March.

Round 2: Nine patch. Could be a traditional nine patch or any one of the
many variations such as Shoo Fly. Due: 28th April.

Round 3: Log Cabin. Traditional or variation. Due: 31st May.

Round 4: Triangles. Try to create a block entirely out of triangles. Due:
30th June.

Round 5: Hearts. Pieced or applique. Due: 28th July.

Round 6: Anything goes. Due: 31st August.

Anyway, if everyone who is interested could email me by the 1st March, I
will release the address details for each group.
Rowena.

Old February 24th 04, 11:41 PM
nzl*

oh boy, Rowena,
postage from nz to other countrys is all by airmail and the smallest
envelope costs $2.50. sending one to each person, i count 30 mailings, if
they all go overseas thats $75 just for the postage. eeeeeeeeek! even half
go overseas that # still adds up real quick. its outside my budget.
i've no idea what overseas post is from oz but i'll bet its much the same.

if the swaps are a mix of local and overseas it might work to send all
overseas blocks to one local 'hostess' , she mails them to one overseas
'hostess' for dispersion. might take a bit of finagling to work out the
logistics so its all equal by the end of the rounds. unless someone has
unlimited funds at their disposal.

i also dont have the time this year. trying to get some hug blocks sent off
has been a mission and i missed a couple that i really wanted to be in on.

great swap ideas though, enjoy!!
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"RLW" wrote...

Old February 25th 04, 12:12 AM
Sharon Harper

Unfortunately, after going through my $$ I have come across the same
problem. Also, I am way pressed for time this year and don't want to commit
to something I may not be able to keep up with. With one DD in 1st grade
and the other in Kinder my life is spent running from one place to another
(then there is swimming 2 times a week and netball and friends playdates.
and....) Sorry.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old February 25th 04, 11:23 AM
RLW

Hi Sharon and Jeanne,

Your points are valid. It's not so bad for Australians. Last time I
checked you could get stamped business envelopes for $0.60. Times five,
that's only $3 -- less than what I spent on postage each month for the last
round robin.

However, with New Zealand it's a little bit trickier. Your solution is a
very good one, though. We already have two Kiwis in the group so that
helps, and I have written to one of them to ask if she'd mind being a
coordinator for NZ while I act as one for Australia. This will cut down on
postage a lot. Of course we could make the swap fully centralised, but I
think that a few smaller squishies are more exciting than one big one. )

If you do decide you have the time, please let me know. We'd love to have
you. )

Rowena.

u...

"nzl*" wrote in message
[...]