Does anyone own Erica Wilson's MOMA Needlepoint Book?

Old July 13th 04, 01:25 AM
sewingsusan

Default Does anyone own Erica Wilson's MOMA Needlepoint Book?

Hi!

I was cruising ebay and found a needlepoint pillow by Erica Wilson
called "french flowers". The copy said it was based on a design in
the MOMA's collection. The ebay listing is for a nearly completed
needlepoint pillow. I really like the colors in this designs, it's
the color scheme I am using in my living room.

I am wondering if anyone here owns the book Erica Wilson published
which includes needlepoint designs from the MOMA?? If so, would you
be so kind as to look up this design in the book. Does her book
include this design???

I would love to interprete this design into crewel embroidery, rather
than needlepoint. If it's in Erica Wilson's book I would have a head
start on the correct colors to use, not to mention the chart would be
in the book as well. Perhaps I could eventually do it in needlepoint
as well, to show off the difference between the two techniques.
(Erica has herself, at times, marketed the same design in both crewel
embroidery and needlepoint.)

I am not really interested in purchasing a needlepoint project which
someone else has all but completed (actually, I think it only needs a
pillow insert & one side sewn up, the stitching has been completed and
the backing is attached on three sides.) Although I think the opening
bid is low if you consider what the kit or canvas for this design
probably cost, not to mention the time which someone put into the
stitching.

Here's the link to the ebay auction I am referring to....

Thanks a lot!
Susan
Old July 13th 04, 03:25 PM
Bea

"sewingsusan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi Susan,
I have a copy of Erica Wilson's "Needlepoint Adapted from
Objects in the Collections of The Metropolitan Museum of
Art", copyright 1995, and did not find this pattern in my
book. I was under the impression there is another book by
Erica Wilson with charts from MOMA, but I was unable to find
a copy. Even did an inter-library search and couldn't find
it. Hopefully someone else may have more positive
information for you.

Bea

Old July 13th 04, 03:41 PM
BDS2pds

Yes it is in the book. It is called French Wall Hanging and on page 97.
Lovely piece. email me if need more info. Barbie

Erica Wilson's MOMA Needlepoint Book?

Old July 15th 04, 05:29 AM
sewingsusan

Bea & Barbie-

Thank you to both of you. I guess I am wondering the title of your
book Barbie, since Bea didn't see it in the book she has and was under
the impression that Erica had two book on Needlepoint from the Met
Museum.

Thank you!
Susan
Old July 15th 04, 01:06 PM
BDS2pds

The ISBN on this book is:
0810939800.
The exact title is Erica Wilson's Needlepoint Adapted from Objects in teh
Collections of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is a great book and wish
more would do museum piece work. I am rather infatuated with folk art (Abbey
Aldrich) right now and wish they did that too !
Old July 17th 04, 05:20 AM
sewingsusan

Barb -

Thank you, I've added this book to my never-ending wish list of
needlework books :-).

Your comment about museum-inspired designs made me think of something
I read recently in Ann Wallace's book "Arts & Crafts Textiles"
(ISBN0-87905-908-7).

Wallace profiled the textiles collection of Timothy Hansen and Dianne
Ayres. (The also wrote a book about American Arts & Crafts Era
Textiles.) I'll quote from Wallace's book.

"Ayres and Hansen's collection is an exceedingly valuable resource,
but they say they would be happy to see it dispersed back to the
public where it could be more accessible and useful than it might be
in a museum. They feel that most museums in THIS [emphasis in
original quote]country do not value things made by ordinary people and
do not think of themselves as research libraries, as do museums in
Europe."

Interesting comment. I have read about the V&A Museum in London
having "trays" of textiles which can be taken out and examined by
visitors to the museum.

Erica Wilson is a graduate of the Royal School of Needlework, and of
course a native Brit. I think she would therefore quite naturally
turn to museums for design sources.

Susan
Old July 17th 04, 05:23 AM
Meredith

Yeah, the V&A does have "trays" you can take out! And, they let you
take photographs (unlike most US museums). I wish more of mine had come
out better from my trip - I took loads of pictures of the whitework and
lace.

Meredith

Old July 17th 04, 12:06 PM
bdianeVA

Here at Colonial Williamsburg they open the drawers up often and you
can always make arrangements with the curator. The Abbey Aldrich
museum is a great place for the common man art. Do visit it when
possible. They are closing it and moving it to the Dewitt Gallery
location after the year end which is so sad to me. That building was
just wonderful.