Eyes -- an update

Old January 23rd 15, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Danny Breidenbach

Default Eyes -- an update

I got my fancy new "old man" glasses two days ago. Progressive lenses. Fancier than no-line bifocals, but they follow the same idea. So far so good on general usage about town, although I just generally feel more aware of my glasses than usual. The best I can describe it is as having sort of a goggle-like feel to them. That might be the poor peripheral correction, which is the nature of the beast, I'm told.

Last night I stitched with the new specs. Again: so far so good. I still squinted over the top for a couple of wee things (what symbol is that half stitch? threading blending filament, etc.), but in general, I felt like my old self (er, my younger self?) and could see what I was doing.

Happy ending so far, with no magnifiers. I do appreciate the many suggestions, though. There will likely come a day when I'll end up trying out some sort of magnifier.

--Danny
Old January 26th 15, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Danny Breidenbach

On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 8:57:26 AM UTC-6, Danny Breidenbach wrote:

Last night I stitched with the new specs. Again: so far so good.

Maybe I spoke too soon. I think it has a lot to do with how much light I have and how tired my eyes are. (Duh.) In three nights I have 1 good, 1 bad, and 1 in between. It's all the damn quarter stitches in this chart!
Old January 27th 15, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Danny Breidenbach

On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 2:18:30 PM UTC-6, wrote:

You could get one of those little LED type lights that clip on and
shone on your work would do a great job.

Ooo! I could have a stitching cap! I could get one of those base-ball type caps with LEDs in the brim and wear it whenever I stitch. It would be really cool when I'm stitching on an airplane and look up to tell the flight attendant what beverage I'd like! Fun!

I'm half kidding. And half not.
Old January 28th 15, 04:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:23:08 -0400, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:32:55 -0800 (PST), Danny Breidenbach
wrote:

On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 2:18:30 PM UTC-6, wrote:

You could get one of those little LED type lights that clip on and
shone on your work would do a great job.

Ooo! I could have a stitching cap! I could get one of those base-ball type caps with LEDs in the brim and wear it whenever I stitch. It would be really cool when I'm stitching on an airplane and look up to tell the flight attendant what beverage I'd like! Fun!

I'm half kidding. And half not.

A woman, in her 90s, who plays bridge at our club has a headband with
a lamp on it. Rather like an old fashioned miners lamp arrangement.
She just needs that extra light on her cards.

So whatever it takes ~ just try around until you find the solution.

I resemble that remark! (Actually, we live out in the country, and I wear one at
night when doing chores... much easier than carrying a flashlight around.)
I also use it when I'm checking our diabetic dog's blood glucose...
it's very difficult to see a tiny drop of blood on black dog elbows without it.

Another possibility, though heavy on the technology, is
using a webcam to either show your work on a monitor, enlarged,
or project an enlargement of the chart you're working on. Or both.

Kay
Old January 29th 15, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 1/27/2015 9:00 PM, Kay Lancaster wrote:

Another possibility, though heavy on the technology, is
using a webcam to either show your work on a monitor, enlarged,
or project an enlargement of the chart you're working on. Or both.

What an interesting idea, Kay!

Speaking of technology, my dad had been in declining health this past
year and communication was very difficult for him. My brother and I
were with him the night before he died (Jan. 18) and it finally dawned
on me to get a keyboard to him so he could type what he wanted to say.
I wish I had thought of it months ago. It would have made life much
easier for both him and Mom.

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

Old February 2nd 15, 08:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C

Joan Erickson wrote:
Speaking of technology, my dad had been in declining health this past
year and communication was very difficult for him. My brother and I
were with him the night before he died (Jan. 18) and it finally dawned
on me to get a keyboard to him so he could type what he wanted to say. I
wish I had thought of it months ago. It would have made life much
easier for both him and Mom.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader/Translator www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

WIP: MLI Gathering of Roses as birth sampler
Stitchers Days of Christmas
http://www.crossstitchjoy.com/catalo...oducts_id=3865
Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf

COPYRIGHT 2014 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEWGIRLS/INSPIREPOINT,
IT HAS BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
WHICH CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
Old February 10th 15, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Danny Breidenbach

On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 1:41:37 PM UTC-6, Danny Breidenbach wrote:
On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 8:57:26 AM UTC-6, Danny Breidenbach wrote:

Last night I stitched with the new specs. Again: so far so good.

Maybe I spoke too soon. I think it has a lot to do with how much light I have and how tired my eyes are. (Duh.) In three nights I have 1 good, 1 bad, and 1 in between. It's all the damn quarter stitches in this chart!

I bought a pair of $10 readers at CVS. I think +2.00 maginification. I perched those on the end of my nose, along with my regular glasses. I could look right over the tops at my TV and stuff, and without moving my head, look down through them at my chart and work.

Very nice. Especially if I don't care what I look like. Next time I'm on an airplane doing this ... we'll see if I screw up the inhibition.

Eyes Danny Breidenbach Needlework 27 January 17th 15 02:53 PM
OT Update on Son's Eyes Bobbie Sews More Quilting 6 September 25th 12 03:50 PM
my eyes are going.... betsey Needlework 22 August 15th 12 04:09 PM
Cat Eyes [email protected] Needlework 0 January 24th 08 10:59 PM
OT - cat eyes to die for bluemaxx Beads 30 September 26th 04 09:56 PM