OT ? ebooks, nooks, kindles et al

Old December 31st 10, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

Default OT ? ebooks, nooks, kindles et al

My other half got a kindle about a year ago, loves it.
Soo... we both got the new wifi only model about 3 weeks ago.
It's black/charcoal and we got the covers that have the lights in
them. We got the wifi because we have wifi here at home and wifi is
available everywhere. Ours are connected, we use the same account,
therefore we can share books, One thing that I have found is that we
do a lot of audio books on car trips and I downloaded one of the audio
books to my kindle and it plays the same as it does in the car. I
thought that it would use the synthesized reader voice that the kindle
uses. I was surprised. I get a lot of free books, I did buy one for
89 cents last night.

I hold it just like a book and find myself trying to turn the page.

We gave the older kindle to his sister and she is thrilled.

Just my two cents.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 22:14:12 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I used to have a sign in my office that said, in part, "We have studied the
question and have come up with questions at a higher level."
Me too.
I imagine I would like to have one of those. But there are so many
questions to consider. Such as, if I have a book on mine and want to share
it with my sister, can I?
Will my 'book' communicate with our public library? How in the Sam
Hill do you return a copy when the time's up?
I see that some of them come with ear pod somethings. Why would I need
them to read a book?
Just a personal problem, I expect, but I borrowed one from a friend, a
much older model ( the book, not the friend). I thought it was dim, slow
and heavy.
Are some models easier on old eyes? Are some easier for old brains?
Do you have one and have a ' I wish I could' list? Do you tolerate it
or love it? Polly

Old December 31st 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

I haven't heard of manybooks. I'll have to check it out. Same with you
about making a choice, although when extra batteries were available, we
bought two. Now, if we ever have to use them I have to be brave and open
ours up to replace them.

Thanks for the link.

Steven
Alaska

"IEZ" wrote in message

"Steven Cook" wrote in message
mmunications...
My sister just got a Nook for Christmas, and I echo much of what Kate has
said. I have a really old, about 7 or 8 year old, eBookwise, and while I
love it, it is heavy and I would probably go with a Nook now as well.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Have you explored manybooks?

http://manybooks.net/

I also have one of the ancient eBookwise units. It's not as pretty as the
newer ones, and it is heavy, but I use it all the time. I guess when it
finally dies, I will have a decision to make, but right now it does what I
want. That is, I can get all the free books I want! Manybooks actually
allows downloads in the rocketbook format, which is what eBookwise uses.

Iris

Old January 1st 11, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
bvolman

I am enjoying this tread about e-readers as my daughter gave me one for my
recent birthday. It is a Kobo and it is sold by Chapters, a Canadian book
chain. I love reading the old books, some of which I read long ago and many
others I never got to. Our library lends e-books, but with 100 to go I think
I am okay for a while. One of my Christmas gifts was a little light that I
can clip on to the reader when I am in a poorly lit area. I read mostly
lying down on the couch when I feel I have put in enough quilting time for
the day. The battery in the kobo is supposed to remain charged for a week
but I seem to need to recharge it sooner, even when I haven't read much. The
battery is supposed to be good for about two years, it cannot be replaced,
so when it gives up I might be tethered to my computer in order to read.
Maybe by then I will want a newer version.
Thanks to all who put in their experiencesw.
Larchie.
"Louise in Iowa" wrote in message
I'm thinking about getting a Kobo. It's put out by Borders and comes
preloaded with something like 100 books. I think they're some of the
"classics" that are no longer copyrighted. You can download books from the
library with the Kobo, but it doesn't come with audio, so you can't listen
to audio books or music on it. According to the reviews, it isn't fancy,
but it's a good basic reader to start with (no internet, no keyboard, no
3G). It doesn't appear that you can share with others, but I don't plan to
buy books - I'll download them from the library. Oh, and it's very
lightweight - something like 8 oz. I think.

I've been listening to a lot of audio books this past year, and I really
like that. I'm just not sure about getting an ereader, because I know me
too well! With the audio books, I can do other things - quilt, knit, sew,
clean - but if I have an ereader, I'm afraid I'll spend too much time on
the couch reading!

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390 at mchsi dot com

Old January 1st 11, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I use Kindle on my IPod (touch). It's not exactly like a book, but the
BIG advantage is portability. The gadget weighs next to nothing and
fits in my handbag. (and contains all the other nifty apps in case I
want a break from reading) The "page" is about the width of a
newspaper column, it has adjustable font sizes, good back lighting,
and it works well for anything that doesn't have pictures or charts.

Son-in-law the gadget king was here for the holidays and brought his
new IPad. It's about the size of a Kindle reader, has all the apps of
its smaller sibling, plus a touch-screen "keyboard" big enough for
human fingers. Go try one out, it's very versatile. There are other
readers you can load in addition to Kindle (e.g. Barnes&Noble has its
own, plus several "classic books" readers, E-Reader, etc.) He reads
his magazine subscriptions too.
Roberta in D

Old January 1st 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone[_2_]

I have an Ipad, had it for about 4 months.
Find it very useful when DH says just check me this out online. It saves
me going upstairs to do so and since DH bought me a new wireless printer
for Christmas and I can print from my Ipad.
I have had a few surprised looks from some of the younger generation.
When I had my eyes tested I explained I wanted glasses to enable me to
see my computer and Ipad better since progressive lenses were not ideal.
The young man was astonished that I had an Ipad and wanted to know how I
got on with it.

Then I went for a new cell phone and yet another young man. I chose one
with the QWERTY key pad. He said you can use a special pen with it. Oh
said I like the one with an Ipad. Yes said he have you got one. Oh yes
said I and his mouth dropped. He said he was surprised that someone my
age had got one. I shall be 75 on the 11th of this month.
I told him that since we were old did not mean we were gaga saying it
with a smile.

A Happy New Year to All
Hugs
Shirley

In message , Roberta
writes

--
Shirley Shone

www.allcrafts.org.uk

Old January 2nd 11, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 02/01/11 15:37, Sandy E wrote:
Howdy!

.. I'm concerned about dropping it in the bathtub...

That is the one place I don't read my ebook! I don't think all that
foamy water would do it any good at all :-)

Lizzy
Old January 3rd 11, 01:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 09:37:47 -0600, Sandy E wrote
(in article ):

Howdy!

.. I'm concerned about dropping it in the bathtub...

Love my library!

http://www.customquiltsbymarybeth.co...ry%20Quilt.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/folkbird/150247815/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31509596@N05/2953729928/

R/Sandy - Happy New Year!

The tub is the one place I don't use my Kindle. I use old-fashioned books
for that.

Maureen

Old January 3rd 11, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna in Alberta

I have a Sony ereader. An older additon but I LOVE, LOVE IT. Some of the
newer models do allow you to lend out your books. A lot of library's
also allow you to borrow ebooks now. A lot of problems with being dim
and harder to read have been fixed. But you just need to research what
ever model you are considering. The ear phones are for listening to your
music while reading. You can load it up with your choice. Some take
mp3's and some take cd format. Even my 7 yr old likes to use my ebook.
Also there are tons of books out there that are free. A lot of the old
classics. Personally I would not do the kindle. The sony one allows me
to get books from Sony, Barnes & noble and a few other places. The
kindle from what hear you can only get books from Amazon. So if the
price is double that of other sites too bad. I don't like being tied to
one source for books. In all I say go for it. You don't have to spend a
lot either. Maybe check Kijjii for a used one.
Take Care
joanna