OT ? ebooks, nooks, kindles et al

Old December 31st 10, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchystitcher

Default OT ? ebooks, nooks, kindles et al

My daughter bought me a Kindle for my birthday. My first thought was
that I would never use it - I am a book person. But I find myself
using it most of the time. I particularly like that I can use the
Kindle ap on my phone if I happen to get somewhere without a book and
need to wait. It knows what page I am up to and can adjust to that.
Then when I pick up my Kindle it syncs to that page.

I did download the free Calibre program so that I can convert to
Kindle from other formats. I haven't tried with Library Books though.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY
Queen of Boxtops
Old December 31st 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh my goodness. I have seriously considered all the opinions and reviews
offered by you all. Honestly. I feel like Doc's lab, Fudge. Doc mentioned
that thinking made Fudge's head hurt. I'm pretty sure I really don't need
color pictures. With some books, if you forget your book at home, you can
continue reading whatever wherever on your phone. Don't think I'll really
long for that ability either. Maybe I'll just hand my credit card to a
friend and say, "Go buy one for me". I am dithered. Polly

"Kate XXXXXX"
A friend got the latest Kindle for Christmas.

It's small (about the size of a paperback in area, and about half an inch
thick), VERY light, the batteries las for weeks, and it'll hold more than
you can read in a lifetime. While Kindle books are a bit more expensive
than paper books, there are also millions of free books available through
things like the Gutenberg project, so you need never run out of things to
read.

The display is totally non reflective, you can change the text size, and
you can add your own footnotes!

Me want!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old December 31st 10, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 22:14:12 -0600, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):

I used to have a sign in my office that said, in part, "We have studied the
question and have come up with questions at a higher level."
Me too.
I imagine I would like to have one of those. But there are so many
questions to consider. Such as, if I have a book on mine and want to share
it with my sister, can I?
Will my 'book' communicate with our public library? How in the Sam
Hill do you return a copy when the time's up?
I see that some of them come with ear pod somethings. Why would I need
them to read a book?
Just a personal problem, I expect, but I borrowed one from a friend, a
much older model ( the book, not the friend). I thought it was dim, slow
and heavy.
Are some models easier on old eyes? Are some easier for old brains?
Do you have one and have a ' I wish I could' list? Do you tolerate it
or love it? Polly

I have a Kindle which I love dearly. I can't borrow library books with it,
but that is not a problem for me as our library doesn't lend ebooks. I know
there is a way to "lend" one of your books to a friend, but I'm not sure how
that works. I haven't tried it yet.

One of the pluses of the Kindle for me is that it is not backlit. I find it
much easier on my eyes than backlit screens. But the downside is that to
read in the dark, you need a lamp or booklight. Just like with a paper book.

Maureen

Old December 31st 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 07:55:47 -0600, Jeri wrote
(in article ):

1. Lending books: Kindle - no, Nook - yes, once per book to one person with
another Nook. Whether you can lend or not depends on the book itself. Some
publishers allow it and some won't.

Actually, Kindle just announced a lending feature that pretty much works the
same as Nook. I haven't tried it yet though.

2. Borrowing books from the library: Kindle - no, Nook - yes, as long as the
books are in ePub format and the library uses OverDrive. From what I've read
the books just stop working when the time is up. Not sure if you can renew
before time is up or not.
3. Both have adjustable font size. Nook also has a choice of 3 different
fonts.
4. Kindle (except for the DX) is lighter weight than the Nook.
5. Both will play MP3 files so you can listen to music or audiobooks.

Old December 31st 10, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

10th grade english was a brand new home ec teacher doing one class of
english that year. I nearly dropped out of school altogether over julius
cesear. It was torture and she probably ruined any joy in reading classics
for a lot of people. I doubt anyone learned anything.
Good luck on your reader hunt!
Taria

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Now there's something I had not considered. We studied classics but there
was no pleasure in it. We were commanded to answer questions such as
'what if the secondary theme blah, blah,blah?'. I might have enjoyed them
if given the opportunity without the hassle. Polly

Old December 31st 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

DH just mentioned yesterday that Borders is having some very serious
financial problems. Might be worth looking into before you buy into their
brand.
Taria
"Louise in Iowa" wrote in message
I'm thinking about getting a Kobo. It's put out by Borders and comes
preloaded with something like 100 books. I think they're some of the
"classics" that are no longer copyrighted. You can download books from the
library with the Kobo, but it doesn't come with audio, so you can't listen
to audio books or music on it. According to the reviews, it isn't fancy,
but it's a good basic reader to start with (no internet, no keyboard, no
3G). It doesn't appear that you can share with others, but I don't plan to
buy books - I'll download them from the library. Oh, and it's very
lightweight - something like 8 oz. I think.

I've been listening to a lot of audio books this past year, and I really
like that. I'm just not sure about getting an ereader, because I know me
too well! With the audio books, I can do other things - quilt, knit, sew,
clean - but if I have an ereader, I'm afraid I'll spend too much time on
the couch reading!

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390 at mchsi dot com

Old December 31st 10, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 31/12/10 15:34, Taria wrote:
DH just mentioned yesterday that Borders is having some very serious
financial problems. Might be worth looking into before you buy into their
brand.

That was my thought too, Taria. Borders went belly up over here in the
UK just before Christmas last year :-( I really miss them, they had a
good selection of quilting books, a coffee shop and they carried US
import magazines at reasonable prices.

Lizzy
Old December 31st 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_7_]

Thanks - I'll check it out. I definitely don't want to buy something
that can't be supported/fixed down the line!

Old December 31st 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Lizzy, Baen books has been ahead of the curve with ebooks for several
years.
Most of Rick's books are available in e-format for not a lot of money,
as are many other out of print books. G
Rick does a lot of "kindle" books on his computer, neither of us has a
hand held reader yet, but I think they are in the not too distant
future.
A very tech savvy friend of ours told us back a couple of years that
the Sony was the way to go. With the changes and improvements he now
says that the Kindle is the best. It has the largest selection of
books available and the ways to use it are more intuitive. (Just a
review from someone out there...G)
Depending on when the back SSD money gets here and how much it is, I
may actually try to surprise Rick with a Kindle. That way I could also
read some of the books he has bought to read on his computer. G

Have fun,
Pati, in a cold, grey Phoenix

On Dec 31, 6:13*am, Lizzy Taylor wrote:

On an aside DH bought me Cryoburn, the latest book by Lois McMaster
Bujold, in hardback, for Christmas and it included a CD with all the
previous books in the series inside it. *On further inspection the CD
had printed on it "This disk and its contents may be copied and shared,
but NOT sold." So now I have the whole series on my e-reader and I can
introduce others to her wonderful world. Well done Baen books!

Lizzy

Old December 31st 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_7_]

I did a little checking - turns out Kobo is actually a Canadian-based
firm, and while it is sold by Borders (and others, including Walmart),
Borders has only 20% ownership. FWIW!!!