Oh boy, I'm going to have fun with this

Old January 3rd 11, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Oh boy, I'm going to have fun with this

I've been dabbling with embroidery (hand, not machine, which I can't
wrap my brain around) and enjoying it a lot. I did a good bit of
crewel embroidery back when I was young, but stopped (abruptly as I
recall) when my first son was born. Sharp needles and babies just
didn't seem a good mix in my mind, as fumbly as I've always been.

So I took a crazy quilt class and loved it, dabbling in silk ribbon
work. And I bought a couple books with lots and lots of stitches which
I'm working on. And then I found this
http://www.amazon.com/Embroidered-Fl...024478&sr=1-18
I was keeping my head about me until I used the 'Look Inside' feature
and saw Page 11.

Suffice to say this book is now winging its way to me and I'm so
excited I could just scream. I'm finding that I like putting
embroidery bits on little pieces of fabric and then attaching them to
interesting things -- little boxes that I've started making, and
little fabric books with fabric pages that I'm making and .... life
has so many possibilities and I've just discovered one that captivates
me.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'll post something when I have one good enough
to post. Until then, I'm watching the mail with baited breath.

Sunny
Old January 3rd 11, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh boy, let me make it even worse. You need some books by Deana Hall West.
My special favorite is Birds, Butterflies and Blossoms but she also has one
on borders (which would be wonderful for crazy quilt) and one on Baltimore
Album ( if we feel any need to at least touch 'on topic'). I went over to
Abe Books where I buy used books and they are all available there. Her
designs are exquisite and her instructions (thorough) will just simply
knock your socks off. We will want pictures. Polly

"Sunny"

Old January 3rd 11, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Ohhhhh! Page seven grabbed me. I wish my hands would tolerate hand work-
I'd be all over this book, too. Have a blast with your project, Sunny!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 3rd 11, 09:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Yummy, yummy, yummy!

Did I say, "Yummy!"

Now I must write out 100 times, I do NOT need another project...

Nel
(GQ)
Old January 3rd 11, 10:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Looks fabulous! I love the owl. And the rabbits.
Have you tried Russian punch needle embroidery?
Roberta in D

Old January 3rd 11, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Let me add a big recommendation for just about ***anything*** by
Judith Baker Montano! I have four or five of her books on SRE (Silk
Ribbon Embroidery), crazy quilt stitches, general surface embroidery
stitches, small bugs and animals, etc. One of the books shows several
absolutely lovely art quilts -- usually small wall hangings -- where she
has either painted or printed a basic landscape design on good fabric.
Then she embellished the whole thing with exquisite hand embroidery done
in different flosses and silk ribbons. I've had dreams of doing this
same thing and using the piece as the center of a crazy quilt.
If you or anyone else is interested, I can get more specific info on
the books. I think a simple search for her name -- Judith Baker Montano
-- at Amazon or any other e-book store would result in plenty of info.
Regardless, enjoy your trip into the absolutely wonderful world of hand
embroidery. I think hand embroidery, in any and all of its forms, is
still my first love and always will be as long as my hands and eyes work
:-). CiaoMeow ^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old January 3rd 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

On 02/01/2011 10:18 PM, Sunny wrote:
[...]

So lovely!!! I don't think I could ever do it myself but I so want to
look over your shoulder and see what you make. Looking forward to your
pictures!!!
Allison

AD - These Beads are Fun and Fun is Good Kalera Beads 6 July 18th 06 05:18 PM
It's a boy Ray Almond Yarn 2 April 24th 06 06:41 PM
OT It's a BOY! Jeanne Burton Beads 5 June 10th 05 02:49 AM
Fun Ladies fun site Ellison Quilting 8 January 22nd 05 06:23 AM
OT TV alert! (fun fun fun) Dr. Sooz Beads 2 August 26th 03 10:27 PM