Very quiet

Old February 7th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

Default Very quiet

ellice wrote:

Sounds like fun. It's just been cold here. Was about 12 F yesterday most
of the morning, and never seemed to get past the mid 20s. Today, not as
cold - nice in the afternoon - about 40-45 here, but as soon as the sun
started to drop, the house got really cold. It would be nice to sit at a
café in NO.

Ellice

The guest room will be free as of Monday. The Carnival parades start
next Friday (the 13th!!), carry on Sat and Sun, then more again Thurs
through the following Tues (Mardi Gras, Feb 24th this year)

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old February 7th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

Edna wrote:
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

Were is everybody?

Cheryl

I returned home from hospital today (Saturday) after surgery Thursday
evening.
They let you leave early if you have a nurse (daughter) in the family.

Edna in hot Sydney

Let you leave early???? Over here they positively push you out the door
the day after surgery - if, that is, they allowed you to stay overnight
in the first place!!

Doncha know you are supposed to let us know ahead of time so we can
concentrate good thoughts coming your way? Never mind, we'll send them
all on now. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
Old February 7th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Feb 7, 1:04*pm, Olwyn Mary wrote:

Let you leave early???? *Over here they positively push you out the door
the day after surgery - if, that is, they allowed you to stay overnight
in the first place!!

I was in for three days after my hysterectomy. The morning they
discharged me, the surgeon on call asked if I wanted to leave or stay
another day. I chose leave because I had gotten a new roommate with
an entourage and I figured (correctly) that I'd get more sleep at
home.

Elizabeth

Old February 7th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Edna wrote:

I returned home from hospital today (Saturday) after surgery Thursday
evening.
They let you leave early if you have a nurse (daughter) in the family.

Edna in hot Sydney

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hope the post-op medicine doesn't
make you too woozy for stitching! Catch up on your UFOs!

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old February 7th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Were is everybody?

Cheryl

I have my mom visiting me from NJ and we spent Thursday visiting the
continuing care community (apts/nursing home on premises; you start in
apts but assisted living and nursing home are also within when/if
needed) about a mile from my house and I think she's going to apply
there with the plan of moving this spring. Between that and work
deadlines, I haven't had two extra minutes to catch up on email or even
do much stitching.

Youngest DD turned 21 on Wednesday so we all went out to dinner at a
trendy new bistro downtown. Nice that g'ma could celebrate with us. And
I have another hour free while mom visits DD#1 and her fiance and his
g'ma and sees their new house. It's *gorgous* outside - 57 degrees, so I
took my lunch out on the deck to soak up some sunshine. Now off to the
library (on foot) to pick up a book, before going back to pick up Mom.

Never a dull moment. Tomorrow's worse: church/take mom to
airport/afternoon concert (my voice teacher's trio)/evening class at
church. Not much breathing room in there. (Maybe I'll bring some
stitching to the concert. It's in a sunny church in the afternoon....)

cheers,
Sue

Old February 7th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 2/7/09 9:11 AM, "Edna" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Were is everybody?

Cheryl

I returned home from hospital today (Saturday) after surgery Thursday
evening.
They let you leave early if you have a nurse (daughter) in the family.

Edna in hot Sydney

Hope you're feeling well, and that your special nurse is taking good care of
you!

Ellice

Old February 7th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 2/7/09 11:33 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 2/6/09 6:34 PM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:

On 2/6/09 3:24 PM, "Mag" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Were is everybody?

Cheryl

I have Verizon which gave a long drawn out
burp a little earlier this morning. Now it wants
me to enter user name and password each time
I want to read newsgroups. Very annoying!!!!

mag

Glad to hear it wasn't just me. Every once in a while I notice this with
using my newsgroup reader. I just read in Entourage, and will have no
problems with mail in the same account, but when switching to the newsgroup
side, suddenly I'm getting the message to re-enter my password. Annoying.
But, then it will be fine for weeks, or keep burping for a couple of days.

I, today, have been a total slug - I actually read 1.5 books (having gone to
the library en route home yesterday).

So what are you reading? I finished "Plum Spooky" (Evanovich) - very funny.
The Georgette Heyer I grabbed is too frothy for me right now.

LOL - I picked up some authors that I hadn't really read. All light.
Ericka had given me a Rhys Bowen (Her Royal Spyness) and I liked it. So I
got what I thought were the first 3 of her Constable Evans series - but
actually I think I got 2-3-4. I've read the first 2 now. - they're good and
quick. Also, read the last 2 Joan Hess "Claire Malloy" books - the last was
pretty good, think I already had read the prior one. And read "Riding
Shotgun" by Rita Mae Brown. A little bit lecturish, and I will confess that
during the first section I had a "where is this going" set of moments - but
she adds a pretty good twist of fancy - and on the whole I really liked the
book. Plus - I'm eating with admiration at the gorgeous horse in her cover
pic - she's MFH (Master of the Hunt) with a hunt near Charlottesville, and
the horse in the pic is a stunner. So, now I think I'll read her mystery
series that's horsey oriented. I can live vicariously while life tumbles
around. I also have the latest PD James.

I'll be able to return all of these I bet on Monday. I was in arrears with
the library - and had found my 2 long-lost books. So, I bravely went in to
return them, and they weren't even showing on my account - evidently I'd
been "forgiven" - and I just had to reactivate my account. Woohoo. DH is
worried I'll both neglect the gajillion more important things, and also
start being late again. Oh, well.

And didn't do much else useful. DH
is skating high school hockey - on the ice right now (fortunately at the
rink only a few miles from the house - I can hear Cheryl sighing),

DS had an away game last night - bus ride time. But rinks close enough to
come home between games - what a luxury.

Can't be too far then! DH is doing Tier I kids tonight - double that
started at 5, so we'll have dinner around 9 when he gets home - he's in
Arlington at the CAPS facility - which is a good 35-45 min depending on
traffic. For who knows what reason, he's on at 0'dark thirty - again in
Arlington - in the morning.

then he
has a break, and another game at 9 pm. So, I won't see him til around 11 -
depedning on if I give in to temptation and have him pick up some snack-ems
on the way home. And, I may just finally clean the kitchen. More likely
I'm going to take my depressive guilt, go back downstairs, lay on the couch
in the family room, with a 62# lap/leg warmer, with the fireplace on, and go
for another book! And watch not terrible tv (well, it depends on your POV).

DD and I watched reruns of CSI until the Rangers game started.

I'm reading. But, did get motivated this afternoon and have been making a
batch of Posole - which requires watching 'cause you have to keep adding
liquid. It smells really good - but the batch was fiercely spicey hot. I
think I put in more red chile pods and cumin than usual. Plus, it's a
different brand of hominay (the corn) than I've used before. The kernels
are huge, huge things. So, after it had simmered for about an hour, I
actually had to pull out the chilis. It's a big batch - about 5-6 quarts.
Oh, well. I played with it a little and seem to have tamed it down a bit -
not the kind of thing where I can add yugurt into it - but it can be served
with a dollop of sour cream - so that will help.

I'll be on the cleaning and stitching marathon for the rest of the weekend.
Teaching on Sunday so have to finish typing up the class hand-outs.

Accomplished so far - two loads of laundry, a skate sharpening run and
emptied/refilled the dishwasher. Oh and took quizzes.

Cheryl

Why aren't these kids getting their skates sharpened during the myriad hours
of at the rink? You actually had to make a run????

Well, what exciting lives we're all leading. I'm going to go start another
load of laundry, and start another book. And eventually finish writing my
instructions for class that I'm teaching tomorrow. Woo hoo.

Ellice

Old February 8th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/7/09 6:15 PM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:
SNIP

I'm reading. But, did get motivated this afternoon and have been making a
batch of Posole - which requires watching 'cause you have to keep adding
liquid. It smells really good - but the batch was fiercely spicey hot. I
think I put in more red chile pods and cumin than usual. Plus, it's a
different brand of hominay (the corn) than I've used before. The kernels
are huge, huge things. So, after it had simmered for about an hour, I
actually had to pull out the chilis. It's a big batch - about 5-6 quarts.
Oh, well. I played with it a little and seem to have tamed it down a bit -
not the kind of thing where I can add yugurt into it - but it can be served
with a dollop of sour cream - so that will help.

Sounds yummy

I'll be on the cleaning and stitching marathon for the rest of the weekend.
Teaching on Sunday so have to finish typing up the class hand-outs.

Accomplished so far - two loads of laundry, a skate sharpening run and
emptied/refilled the dishwasher. Oh and took quizzes.

Cheryl

Why aren't these kids getting their skates sharpened during the myriad hours
of at the rink? You actually had to make a run????

Because the majority of the rinks either them skate out of don't have skate
sharpening let alone a pro shop

Well, what exciting lives we're all leading. I'm going to go start another
load of laundry, and start another book. And eventually finish writing my
instructions for class that I'm teaching tomorrow. Woo hoo.

Are they done yet?

Old February 8th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 2/7/09 7:03 PM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 2/7/09 6:15 PM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:
SNIP

[...]

Too bad. We're lucky that all the rinks here have some sort of pro shop,
though I would only get my skates done at a couple of them. So, DH get's
his done when he's at Ballston or in Rockville . Preferably Rockville,
where our nice Canadian ex-pat (he's been here 11 years) pal Drew, owns the
pro-shop (for the last 3 years) and we trust him.

Well, what exciting lives we're all leading. I'm going to go start another
load of laundry, and start another book. And eventually finish writing my
instructions for class that I'm teaching tomorrow. Woo hoo.

Are they done yet?

HAH. All the hand written is, I just have to decide to type it all up.
Doesn't take much time for this class - I have to update the standard sort
of syllabus thing. There is a coil bound book for this pattern, and I think
it will work best for them to actually make notes on the pages. Though in
the morning I may make copies of marked up pages with thread counts on them.
Fortunately, this isn't a beginner class (at all), and I'm very comfortable
with 2 of the women - the 3rd I think I know, but she may need the most
coaching. Tomorrow they have to do a lot of boring stuff - getting in some
basic lines so that we can do some "fun" stitches. But, the class is
scheduled for 5 hours, which is plenty of time to do that. I can't really
assign pre-work for a shop class, or I would've. If I was doing this as a
guild class, it would be different. The nice thing, is with this class,
there aren't a bunch of corrections to the pattern - which is often the big
hand-out I have to give. This class is really about technique with doing
these precise stitches with slightly difficult to work with threads. The
stitches that aren't diagrammed out - well they're basic enough - like
Smyrnas and Mosaics. The more complicated do have diagrams - but I will say
that the doing gets a bit hairy on some (this chart was done by hand, and
the symbols for some of the stitching could be a bit confusing. But, all
the info is for the most part in the book, so I'm going to hand-out
highlighters and we'll go thru the directions carefully, then they can do
notes. I have a white board to draw on in the class - that helps - so
besides doing a demo, it's nice to actually draw the stitch on the board so
people can clearly see it.

Anyhow, I have to go do something useful, I suppose.

Ellice

Old February 8th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Edna

wrote in message
On Feb 7, 1:04 pm, Olwyn Mary wrote:

Let you leave early???? Over here they positively push you out the door
the day after surgery - if, that is, they allowed you to stay overnight
in the first place!!

Ah yes however I still have a drain attached.. stopping any fluid buildup..
which has to be emptied daily.

I was in a private hospital with my own room and surgeon.

Edna in hot Sydney

Too quiet lewmew Needlework 10 February 7th 09 03:44 AM
Been quiet for a while AliceW Quilting 15 April 27th 06 06:00 PM
Its so quiet in here!!! D Curtis Quilting 13 November 14th 05 06:01 PM
This NG is entirely TOO quiet! Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 6 July 12th 05 01:50 PM