how to join two ends to one?

Old September 8th 04, 01:50 AM
djaef

Default how to join two ends to one?

Hi,
I'm making a swing for my kids in the backyard. Trouble is, I didn't buy
enough rope the first time, and so had to buy a second lot and figure out
how to join them. I need a knot to join two ends of one rope (going through
the tyre) to each end of the rope going around the tree. (I'm going to cut
the second rope in half and put each one through one side of the tyre, under
it and back up through, in a triangle shape, so that two ends of it come
back up to join the original rope) Can anyone help me?

thanks

geoff

Old September 8th 04, 07:32 PM
Karl Pollak

x-no-archive: yes
"djaef" wrote:

Hi,
I'm making a swing for my kids in the backyard. Trouble is, I didn't buy
enough rope the first time, and so had to buy a second lot and figure out
how to join them. I need a knot to join two ends of one rope (going through
the tyre) to each end of the rope going around the tree. (I'm going to cut
the second rope in half and put each one through one side of the tyre, under
it and back up through, in a triangle shape, so that two ends of it come
back up to join the original rope) Can anyone help me?

I'm not sure if got your problem quite right but the way I would do this
would be to take two pieces of rope and affix all of their ends to the
tire. That will give you 4 points on which the tire will hang. then it is
a simple matter of dropping another rope from the tree limb and making a
loop on its lower end around the ropes fixed to the tire.

If that looks too flimsy to you, you can gather up the tire ropes in the
middle and seize them to make a loop at their summit, or make an overhand
(or figure 8) knot in the middle to create a loop that way. Then you would
either just thread the rope hanging form the tree through that loop or make
a lop on its lower end as mentioned above to connect the two parts of the
set up.

The first method will be prone to spill the tires and have the kids fall
off the swing. That may be an attraction to older kids but not recommended
for small children as they could get hurt that way.

Use your own judgment.

In case I have misunderstood your question, you can join two ropes by
splicing them, long splice recommended, or by putting bowlines on each end
(intertwined). There are other ways of doing it, but these would appear to
be the simplest and most reliable.

--
Karl Pollak, Richmond, British Columbia
Sea Scouting in Canada at http://www.seascouts.ca/
Old September 10th 04, 02:58 AM
djaef

Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately, my understanding of tying knots is limited to tying my
shoelaces

I'm not sure whether my description was good enough, and I have sort of the
same problem you did. I'm not sure I understand your instructions. I have
posted an image on the Internet so you can see what I'm having trouble
expressing. This is the way I'd like to do it. You can see the picture he
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/thepowells/swing.gif

I hope that clears it up. If you would be so kind as to reply again,
explaining as if to a 6 year old how to do it, I would be grateful.

Thanks

Geoff

Old September 10th 04, 04:24 AM
roo

Nice diagram! There are many possible solutions. Here's one:

Treat the two ropes going up at an angle as one rope and tie them to
the vertical rope above them with a bend like a Rosendahl Bend
(Zeppelin Bend):

http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/Zeppelin.html

Imagine the gray rope as the two ropes coming from the tire, and the
white rope as coming from the limb. It shouldn't take too much line
and shouldn't jam so that you can adjust the ropes to level things up
later if needed.
Cheers,
roo
--See the Notable Knot Index for my real e-mail address

Old September 10th 04, 08:29 AM
Karl Pollak

x-no-archive: yes
"djaef" wrote:

Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately, my understanding of tying knots is limited to tying my
shoelaces

OK, in that case forget about splicing.

Do a google for bowline, overhand and figure eight knots
There's gotta be oodles of pictures and instructions on the net how to do
them.

You can see the picture he
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/thepowells/swing.gif

Sorry man, I don't do pictures.

Old September 11th 04, 05:17 AM
Dan Lehman

Nice diagram! There are many possible solutions. Here's one:

Perhaps this problem was too simple, and so the solutions make
up for that? The obvious solution--now that we've seen that
nice image of the rope problem--is to tie the swing lines to
the tire bridles with Double Becket Hitches. I'm assuming
that the image that was referenced is accurate not only in
the general need, but also fairly accurate in the physical
ANGLES of the two bridles (from the tire)--i.p., that they
form a fairly acute angle, less than 45deg!? Otherwise,
one might need to take some precaution to using the Becket
Hitch to bind the bridles, as the load would want to pry
open the hitch's turn around it. (One such precaution
would be to tie the apex of the bridle into a loopknot,
as suggested above--exactly the sort of thing done e.g.
on lobster pots, where the bridles on a set I've recently
checked form approx. 125deg. angles (wide; approx. equal
tension will be on each leg as is on the connecting line!).)

Incidentally, I'd been thinking about orienting the bridle
lines such that the center of them ran through the tire
and the ends were used for connecting; but this would put
bad lateral forces on the tire (unless one put mid-line
stoppers in for each hole), and in any case be going in
the too-clever-by-half direction. (-;
As for stoppers in the ends, recommend Ashley's Stopper
(which he misnamed "Oysterman's"): tie an overhand noose
(aka "slip-knot", but really it's not, but ...) in the
end; set the overhand knot pretty snug around the part
to be loaded (standing part); then tuck the end through
the noose and draw down upon it to lock. If you do it
correctly, you get a wonderful 3-pointed stopper face
offering good resistance.

Cheers,
--dl*
====

Soldering Jump Rings Raane Jewelry 10 March 16th 04 05:28 PM
An Invite to Join StampingSupplySales Christi Conley Beads 0 January 13th 04 05:56 PM
AD Fab 50 Ends tomorrow Cheryl Beads 0 October 4th 03 05:41 PM
AD - RCB Cafe Press Shop - trial ends tomorrow! Kandice Seeber Beads 11 September 15th 03 11:02 AM
AD:Dichro Lampwork Extravaganza Ends Tuesday Juanita Floyd Beads 0 July 14th 03 11:58 PM