Invisible mending

Old March 25th 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Mary Fisher

Default Invisible mending

We're going on a cruise in the summer and Spouse will need his dinner suit.

The moths have also felt the need for it and have left several small holes
in the jacket and the white lining shows through.

Can anyone suggest a way of dealing with these holes? I've tried colouring
the lining with black felt tip but it's inadequate :-)

Invisible mending was once advertised widely but I haven't seen it for
years.

Mary

Old March 25th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
S Viemeister[_2_]

Mary Fisher wrote:
We're going on a cruise in the summer and Spouse will need his dinner suit.

The moths have also felt the need for it and have left several small holes
in the jacket and the white lining shows through.

Can anyone suggest a way of dealing with these holes? I've tried colouring
the lining with black felt tip but it's inadequate :-)

Invisible mending was once advertised widely but I haven't seen it for
years.

There's a DMC encyclopaedia of needlework which has a section on various
invisible mending techniques - but you could try something quick-n-easy.

If you can steal a big enough piece of the main fabric from a hidden
area, you could try laying a bit of it under the hole (matching the
grain, of course), then carefully cutting through both layers, so that
the patch is _exactly_ the same size as the hole. Use fusible web
underneath, backed with a very lightweight scrap of cloth.

It's a bit like patching plasterboard or vinyl flooring.....

Sheila
Old March 25th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Mary Fisher

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Ah, thanks, Sheila. I thought about pulling threads from hidden parts and
darning but my eyes are not as good (even with specs) as they were when I
learned that skill. Nor are my fingers ... I'd thought of using fusible web
too but simply didn't think of your patching method.

Thanks again.

Now, about the hole in the bedroom ceiling plasterboard ... :-)

Mary

Old March 26th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Samantha Hill - take out TRASH to reply

Mary Fisher wrote:

Invisible mending was once advertised widely but I haven't seen it for
years.

Check with a reputable dry cleaner to see if they have connections with
someone offering a reweaving service.

the art of mending pomodoro Quilting 7 January 24th 07 06:13 PM
ebay: Ending soon--Invisible Reweaving, Invisible Reknitting books marilyn safier Marketplace 0 August 14th 05 06:08 AM
ebay: Fabricon books: Invisible Reweaving & Invisible Reknitting marilyn safier Marketplace 0 August 8th 05 04:50 AM
Mending Bed Linen Candide Sewing 12 July 28th 05 03:17 PM