More on centerpull balls

Old June 17th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default More on centerpull balls

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Mary Fisher wrote:

But I've never bought yarn from one, I've made a pledge not to buy any
more until I've used up my stash.

But... but... but... if you "buy" it from there, you are really just
making a charitable donation and in return getting some yarn. Is that
really the same thing? *best innocent look*

It would be but I've never seen any yarn I'd want to buy - it's all acrylic
and I hate that stuff with a passion. Don't worry, I give lots of donations
when I buy our clothes from them :-)

Mary

Old June 17th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...

It wasn't new, though it was ununsed.

Do you mean it was still factory wound?

No they were outside wound balls so I presume someone had bought it in
hanks and rewound themselves. The yarn hadn't been knit with, no labels.

I don't think I've seen commercial yarn in hanks for years! Only home spun
yarn.

Mary

sue

Old June 17th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

We have three nearby "charity shops" - Salvation Army, Good Will and a one
run by a local home for battered women. The first two never have knitting
stuff, the one run by the home for battered women often has yarn. I get
most of my quilting stuff at the fist two, so I am not about to say anything
bad about them.

Aaron.

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:30:51 -0700, suzee wrote:

Second hand store, charity shop... Whatever they call them in your part
of the world. It wasn't new, though it was ununsed.

sue

They're a source of very good bargains too suzee. I use the charity shops
regularly.

Last year I managed to get 4 x 400 gram cones of 4 ply (fingering weight)
at 50 pence (about $1) each. There were 2 white, 1 pale blue and 1 navy
blue - all brand new - so they've gone into my stash.

I have yet to be lucky enough to find yarn in our local thrift shops,
however I have bought a few pattern books (I already have most of the ones
they have), and other crafty books from them at a fraction of the original
cost.

It seems that when people are moving house they clear out cupboards and
send all the stuff (new and used) off to the local charity shop. I wish
they'd move more often ;-)

LOL I agree!

*hugs*
Gem

Old June 17th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

The Cottage Craft Yarns that I like, come in tied skeins that must be
balled before they tangle! The last time I was knitting in the backroom at
Big Sky Yarns, the clerk must have some in 3 or 4 times (over 3 hours) to
wind different yarns that customers had bought as skeins and wanted wound
into balls. So I would say that there is still some traffic in commercial
yarns sold in loose skeins.

I like skeins for some yarns because they can be washed and dyed.

Aaron

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Old June 18th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Mary Fisher wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...

It wasn't new, though it was ununsed.
Do you mean it was still factory wound?

No they were outside wound balls so I presume someone had bought it in
hanks and rewound themselves. The yarn hadn't been knit with, no labels.

I don't think I've seen commercial yarn in hanks for years! Only home spun
yarn.

Quite a lot of the more expensive yarns in the US come in hanks.
Especially the thinner laceweight ones.

sue
Old June 18th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Bernadette wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:11:34 -0400, Not Likely wrote:

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 05:33:08 -0400, Not Likely wrote:

Awww, the gingerbread men sound cute. Will you be posting a link
so we can
see the pictures?... assuming you'll be taking pictures. Also,
can I ask
where you found the pattern for them, or is it something that
you've created?

*hugs*
Gemini

I still have to put the finishing touches Gem but will get a couple
of pics before I send them to the charity. My wrist has taken
longer to heal after this surgery so I've been slow to finish this
project.

Here is the link to the charity site. If you scroll to the bottom of
the page you can download the pattern. It is written using UK
terminology so you may need a translation - if I can help just
yell! :-) There is an error in the "body and arms" section as well.
The instruction "Starting with a P. row work 5 rows st.st," should
read "work 4 rows".

I'm sorry to hear about your wrist, Bernadette. Was the surgery for
carpal tunnel? My oldest sister had that surgery on her dominant
hand years ago and it helped, but took a bit of time to get back
into proper working order. Apparently she needs it on her right hand
now, but says she isn't going to bother with it since she is
left-handed and rarely uses her right one anyway. *shrug* She
also is diabetic and has a few other "more important" things wrong
with her that she is more concerned about.

In any case, looking forward to seeing your pictures whenever you
get them finished. No rush, obviously, just take care of your wrist.

Ummm... thank you for the heads-up about the error on the
gingerbread man pattern, but you forgot to add the link to the site.
;o) UK terminology shouldn't be too much of a problem for me...
I'm Canadian and we tend to lean more toward UK terminology than any
other.... at least *I* do... and I've seen and used UK patterns
before. However, that being said... I will definitely be yelling
for help if I do run into something I don't quite get. ;o)

*hugs*
Gem

Oh heck, That's twice today I've done that - sorry! I have changed
over from Windows to a Linux system on Friday and am just getting
used to the changes. Here is the link
http://www.atlanticvillage.co.uk/new...aspx?newsId=89

Yes, it was carpal tunnel syndrome. I had my right wrist operated on
in January and was knitting/crocheting again within a week. Although
I am right handed it was the left wrist (which they operated on this
time) that was a worse mess so they had to do a bit more work on it.
The scar is about double the size of the one on my other "paw". It
healed quickly (stitches out after 6 days) but remained sore "inside"
until now and is still sensitive to touch. It's still better than it
was so I'm not complaining ;-)

Bernadette

I was wondereing how your surgery went.....sorry to hear this one was not as
good but hope your on the mend soon!

Donna

Old June 18th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

ME tOOOOOOOOOO
USE UP MOOD
mirjam
, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news

Second hand store, charity shop... Whatever they call them in your part
of the world. It wasn't new, though it was ununsed.

sue

They're a source of very good bargains too suzee. I use the charity shops
regularly.

So do I - at least the one in Lampeter when we go to stay with our Welsh
daughter. We're going on Tuesday :-)

But I've never bought yarn from one, I've made a pledge not to buy any more
until I've used up my stash.

I SHALL KEEP TO IT!!!

Mary

Old June 18th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

But I've never bought yarn from one, I've made a pledge not to buy any
more until I've used up my stash.

I SHALL KEEP TO IT!!!

Good luck with that! Or as my son and his friends say... "Let me know how
that goes!" ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

Old June 18th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:11:34 -0400, Not Likely wrote:

Oh heck, That's twice today I've done that - sorry! I have changed over
from Windows to a Linux system on Friday and am just getting used to the
changes. Here is the link
http://www.atlanticvillage.co.uk/new...aspx?newsId=89

Thank you for the link, I have saved it... will have to get to the library
and have it printed out. )

Yes, it was carpal tunnel syndrome. I had my right wrist operated on in
January and was knitting/crocheting again within a week. Although I am
right handed it was the left wrist (which they operated on this time) that
was a worse mess so they had to do a bit more work on it. The scar is
about double the size of the one on my other "paw". It healed quickly
(stitches out after 6 days) but remained sore "inside" until now and is
still sensitive to touch. It's still better than it was so I'm not
complaining ;-)

Bernadette

Well I hope your healing comes along in leaps and bounds now that the nice
warmer weather time of the year is here. )

*hugs*
Gemini

Old June 18th 07, 10:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Aaron Lewis" wrote in message
. net...
The Cottage Craft Yarns that I like, come in tied skeins that must be
balled before they tangle! The last time I was knitting in the backroom
at Big Sky Yarns, the clerk must have some in 3 or 4 times (over 3 hours)
to wind different yarns that customers had bought as skeins and wanted
wound into balls. So I would say that there is still some traffic in
commercial yarns sold in loose skeins.

I like skeins for some yarns because they can be washed and dyed.

Yes but it's hard to find commercial yarn in skeins here. Hand spun wool is
a different matter.

When I was a child all bought wool was in hanks, then winders were invented
and the balls took off. As it were.

Mary

Temari Balls Terbear Quilting 22 February 7th 06 07:34 AM
Odd balls Ophelia Yarn 49 September 9th 04 08:48 AM
How to craft new balls for me ? Karl Reitlos Pottery 6 February 6th 04 04:34 PM
OT y now Silver Balls Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 0 December 16th 03 01:07 PM
Just golf balls! Kim McAnnally Needlework 1 July 25th 03 06:48 PM