hug quilts thoughts

Old November 18th 11, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default hug quilts thoughts

Is there any reason we don't have a couple of hug quilts set back
in case of short order need? Sometimes we really could use a
hug that gets where it is going kind of quickly. I know it wouldn't be
as personal but in a case like the Gifford hug we could have had one
to her right away.
Just a thought.
Taria
Old November 18th 11, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 18/11/11 18:28, Taria wrote:
Is there any reason we don't have a couple of hug quilts set back
in case of short order need? Sometimes we really could use a hug that
gets where it is going kind of quickly. I know it wouldn't be
as personal but in a case like the Gifford hug we could have had one to
her right away.
Just a thought. Taria

Or even if not a quilt, a top ready to be quilted, that way the outlay
for backing, batting and binding only gets made when it is needed.

Lizzy
Old November 18th 11, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon

On Nov 18, 2:28*pm, "Taria" wrote:
Is there any reason we don't have a couple of hug quilts set back
in case of short order need? *Sometimes we really could use a
hug that gets where it is going kind of quickly. * I know it wouldn't be
as personal but in a case like the Gifford hug we could have had one
to her right away.
Just a thought.
Taria

Well I don't know about that - the personal touch is really heart-
warming to me. The thought that we all contributed blocks with purple
or lime green in them cuz it's a favourite colour of the Hugee is just
something that you couldn't get from a standby HUG - just my thoughts.

Sharon (N.B.)
Old November 19th 11, 12:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

That's a very good idea Taria. We could use generally liked colours,
with a fairly simple pattern.
..
In message , Taria
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old November 19th 11, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Even better! Thanks Lizzy.
..
In message , Lizzy Taylor
writes

Old November 19th 11, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Yes, but ... ...
Speed is often necessary, or at least helpful. They would still have
the signatures on.
..
In message
,
Sharon writes

Old November 19th 11, 01:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I've been thinking about this idea and had some misgivings at first but you
know, it just might be a Very Good plan. As you've said, it wouldn't be as
personal as others but the blocks would be signed. And there's probably a
color that would/could be loved by any hug-ee.
Blue? Is there anyone who doesn't love blue? ( DH loves any color so
long as it's blue.)
Polly

"Pat S" wrote in message
That's a very good idea Taria. We could use generally liked colours, with
a fairly simple pattern.
.
In message , Taria
writes

Old November 19th 11, 04:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

The 'hug' I received was incredible -- pieces and blocks of fabric with all kinds of flowers and packets of flower seeds. Coming after we lost 10 years of landscaping and beloved plants to a septic disaster, those hugs kept me going for a long time. I looked forward to the mail every day. And my heart just sang. Yes, a quilt or two put back would be good for generic needs. But I do believe the personal feeling put into each hug is what makes it healing. Maybe we needa quilt to keep for ... strangers, or situations where warmth and cuddling is needed really quick. But for us, for our friends and (okay I'm feeling a little teary here thinking about it) our RCTQ family, I think we need to keep giving HUGS the same way as always. Things will happen. That's life. But we go on. Because that's what quilters do.

Love you all,
Sunny
Old November 19th 11, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

On 11/18/2011 5:38 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
I've been thinking about this idea and had some misgivings at first but
you know, it just might be a Very Good plan. As you've said, it wouldn't
be as personal as others but the blocks would be signed. And there's
probably a color that would/could be loved by any hug-ee.
Blue? Is there anyone who doesn't love blue? ( DH loves any color so
long as it's blue.)
Polly

ME!!!!! I absolutely ABHOR blue -- stuff like baby blue or sky blue.
I like teal blue, turquoise blue, navy blue and can, on occasion,
tolerate bright, jewel toned sapphire blue but that's it. The blue most
of you think of when the color is mentioned is just plain icky, IMNSHO
(R&D&H) !!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary /\__/\
Old November 19th 11, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

We have often been encouraged by the hug mistress to make ahead hug
blocks of different colors and types in the 6" format so that they
could be sent off quickly. That might be the best of both worlds. The
hugs could be personalized in color or type but with a quick block
deadline to speed the process. For myself I find if I don't make the
block within the first two days of the request it doesn't get done. I
will try to refill my hug block box so I have more on hand in the
future. The idea worked well when the box was filled several years
ago. Just need to continually replenish it.

I have found it comforting to have several throw quilts on hand ready
to donate to various charities. Just this week I heard about a local
craft sale to benefit a home being established for girls and women
being rescued from the sex slave trade. It was nice to have something
ready to donate because I would not have had the time to make
anything. Making these throws for charity is so much fun because I can
try new patterns and use fabric from my stash. The hard part is
sticking to the fabric in the stash. It is so tempting to find half
the fabric in the stash but then feel I must purchase the other half
to have just the perfect quilt. Making do as early quilters would have
done does not come naturally for me.

Susan

HUG Quilts Sharon Quilting 1 March 3rd 08 05:03 AM
Thoughts on: washing quilts Kellie J Berger Quilting 26 January 28th 08 09:59 PM
HUG Quilts... and the Hug List... Kate G.[_2_] Quilting 1 July 23rd 07 10:31 AM
Marlys--in thoughts, prayers and hug Sandy Ellison Quilting 4 June 20th 06 04:02 PM
LONG: Updates, HUG thoughts, and attn: Jan & Ginger Dreamweaver Quilting 10 May 29th 05 05:21 PM