Hotrodding a Pfaff

Old March 29th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
NightMist

Default Hotrodding a Pfaff

So my favorite sewing machine has a problem.
It has a motor that is 50 or 60 years old.
It is one of those old universal Safety Motors made by the Mercury
company.
Plus the pedal is one of the type every sewing machine guy tells you
to replace because it is a fire hazard. You know, the kind with either
German resistance wire or nichrome in it. Where they basicly made a
toaster to use power in order to control motor speed.

So being as I use the Pfaff a LOT, and in the interest of not burning
the house down, I am thinking of making some changes. Besides there
is a really loud hum on this machine when it is running, and the motor
(which has no vents!) is starting to heat up faster and hotter all the
time.

Has anybody here ever upgraded their motor?
What did you use?

Anybody upgraded an old motor with one of those new servo motors?
I have to say having the thing start up immediately without having to
turn the flywheel is a dazzling concept. Being able to begin with both
hands on the work, and starting at a constant speed are tremendous
sale points.

I am looking at this one:

http://www.allbrands.com/products/ab...See%20Included

But I need to do more research first.
The current motor is 1/13 horse, a jump to 1/2 seems like quite a lot.
I would want to make sure the machine could handle it, though heaven
knows I could use the torque on some leather projects.

DH is already having a joyous time researching pedal possibilities.
I have been treated to lectures on the differences between hand and
foot controls, adapting potentiometers to foot pedals, and all such
fun stuff. He is curretly having fun figuring out how to build
controls into an old Cybaby WahWah pedal (a guitar effect). Just
because he thinks it would be majorly cool to have me running the
sewing machine with a wahwah pedal.

Oh! It is a Pfaff 130. Which is why I suspect it could handle a
half a horse.

NightMist
maybe I should shop for wee bitty flame decals while I am at it.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old March 30th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

NightMist wrote:
[...]

Pfaff 130s were being bought up by the carload to take to India and
environs to put in factories where the machines are run off a central
motor, so I doubt that the machine would have a problem with a bigger
motor. It's an all-metal, all-mechanical machine, so it will go as fast
as you can drive it - though you should slow down if it starts to glow
red. ;-)

Perhaps Ron or gwh will turn up to comment on this, since they are the
resident experts in the field. I am sure that you can replace both the
motor and the controller, but I don't have the knowledge to advise you
on what you could use for the substitution.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old March 30th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ron Anderson

"NightMist" wrote in message

[...]

If you have the correct table to mount the industrial motor on then as long
as you keep it on the low speed and the machine oiled well you should be ok.
It is over kill however for a home sewing machine.
If your going that route no need to look into foot controls as it does not
use one.
On the other hand many folks use the 1.5 amp universal home motors and
coupled with an electronic foot control no heat build up.

--

Ron Anderson A1 Sewing Machine
18 Dingman Rd., Sand Lake, NY 12153

Old March 30th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

NightMist wrote:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:04:09 -0400, "Ron Anderson"
wrote:

If you have the correct table to mount the industrial motor on then as long
as you keep it on the low speed and the machine oiled well you should be ok.
It is over kill however for a home sewing machine.
If your going that route no need to look into foot controls as it does not
use one.
On the other hand many folks use the 1.5 amp universal home motors and
coupled with an electronic foot control no heat build up.

DH tells me mounting should be a minimal issue.The current motor is on
a "universal mounting plate", and if the new motor doesn't like that
one, another more suitable one can be obtained.

I know the servo motors don't require a foot pedal, but I would want
one modded in, more or less an on off switch so I can start up with
both hands on the work when needed. I sew a lot of silk, and I sew a
lot of leather, and I sew a lot of long seams on both since I am doing
repeat work for a lady who wants 6 and 9 foot plus finished widths of
both. Both silk and leather are materials that you do not want to let
roam free when you are sewing acres of it at a go.
Since the leather is usually upholstery grade, running 5 to 8 ounce
weight, I want a little oomph when I need it. Which is why I was
looking at an industrial level upgrade. Besides when I work I work.
If I am putting in an 18 hour day on something or other, I do not want
to have to keep taking breaks to let the machine cool down. Bad
enough that I have to take breaks to keep my fingers from cramping or
to keep from hardening in postion at the machine! (G)

NightMist

I suggest you take Ron's counsel on this - the motor he's suggesting
would not likely overheat, as he says, and would give you everything you
want. Ron knows his stuff.

Old March 30th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
NightMist

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:19:30 -0700, Pogonip
wrote:

Pfaff 130s were being bought up by the carload to take to India and
environs to put in factories where the machines are run off a central
motor, so I doubt that the machine would have a problem with a bigger
motor. It's an all-metal, all-mechanical machine, so it will go as fast
as you can drive it - though you should slow down if it starts to glow
red. ;-)

You know those central motor factory set ups are why my dad's side of
the family thinks sewing professionally is a very dangerous buisness.
Though I am not quite sure why they keep repeating the sad tale to me
since all my machines have their very own motor, and it would take
some doing to kill myself on one save by the most bizarre mischance.

Apparently one of my great aunts was working in a factory like that
way back in the nineteen teens or twenties. The story goes that one
of her hairpins came out and when she stood up the loose lock got
caught in the overhead belt and yanked her right off her feet and
broke her neck.

I don't know how true that is. This is the same family that claims one
of my uncles drowned because he went swimming too soon after eating
and got a cramp. Actual witnesses to the event report that he went
boating while drunk, lost an oar, jumped in after it, and was too
drunk to swim. It was a Moose Club picnic so there were a LOT of
witnesses.

NightMist
Big family, gallons of whitewash
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old March 31st 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

NightMist wrote:

[...]

ROFLOL!! Family stories do have a way of getting embellished - and
whitewashed. It's hard to see how auntie got her hair caught.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15595.../imagep158.jpg
http://www.uwrf.edu/library/arc/images/RFsewing1931.jpg
Most managed to sew through a finger, though.
Old March 31st 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ron Anderson

wrote:

"NightMist" wrote in message

[...]

My guess is DH has never seen this motor save the photo on the web page.
Likely does not comprehend it weighs in at 35 pounds or so, You can NOT
modify it to use a foot control. First off foot controls are able to handle
only 1.5-2.0 amps the Servo motor is more like 4-5 amps. Also the electronic
in it would go berserk if you mess with it.
Just my advise. Not really worth the much unless you believe 30 years as a
technician means anything.

Old March 31st 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sharon Hays

Pogonip wrote:

I suggest you take Ron's counsel on this - the motor he's suggesting
would not likely overheat, as he says, and would give you everything you
want. Ron knows his stuff.

I second this. Ron knows his stuff, and all of our machines very well. And
he's incredibly generous with that knowledge. If he says "don't" I really
wouldn't.

Sharon
--
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and just annoys the
pig.

Hotrodding a Pfaff NightMist Quilting 1 March 31st 08 03:28 AM
Hotrodding a Pfaff NightMist Quilting 2 March 29th 08 10:30 PM
Pfaff 130 HELP!!!! SewMama Sewing 0 July 31st 06 10:24 PM
Pfaff machines MNalley Quilting 16 March 28th 06 11:16 PM
Which Pfaff Machine for Me? Ida Boyens Sewing 6 November 17th 04 02:17 AM