9/11, sewing, and off topic thoughts

Old September 15th 04, 12:59 AM
CNYstitcher

Tom,

Regardless of my opinion on your post, I still want you to know that I
think you're cool and your sewing/quilting is fabulous!

Larisa

Tom Farrell wrote:

"Atom1" wrote in message ...

Hey Pal,

You are not my pal.

Like all your ilk, you wish to not be accountable to the rules of the
masses.

My ilk? Who, precisely, would you characterize as my "ilk"?

And precisely what "rules of the masses" are you accusing me of
breaking?

You posted off topic a very controversial subject that is specifically
mentioned to be private.

"mentioned to be private"? That makes no sense at all. 9/11 is about
the most public topic in the history of mankind.

god forbid someone should disagree with your side.

Everyone is entirely welcome to disagree with me. And I have every
right to disagree with them.

Thanks Wanda for speaking up.

I think Wanda's post was very illustrative.

The only thing that is appropriate here is sewing, anything else is open
season.

Quite right.

I do not agree with you Tom, what you said was (un)veiled solicitationfor
votes which sure got me turned in.

Why the parentheses around the "un"? I was pretty plain about it.

I don't see how your post is any
different, you are asking for something.

You just said that you don't see how my post is any different from...
my post.

I don't ask that you be turnedc in by the anal retentive, but rather KEEP
IT ON TOPIC unless you WANT us to discuss the speciousness of your argument.

Oh, please do. I'd love the opportunity to poke holes in your
rebuttals.

SHUT UP AND SEW

Here in the United States, you have no right to order me to be silent.
If you had been a little more polite about it, I might have decided to
let your comment stand without reply, but no, you had to choose to use
maximum rudeness, so I decided you needed a reply.

Michelle
Italy
Who keeps her vote and thoughts to herself (the reason there are curtains
in your voting stations)

Yes, they're to allow you to choose to have privacy about your voting
choice. There is absolutely no law saying that I can't choose to shout
it to the world the moment I walk out the door of my polling place,
however, while there are laws saying that I may choose to do so.

Tom

Old September 15th 04, 07:44 AM
Kathy Morgan

JJ wrote:

Please vote this year. Please be sure your vote counts.

And if you have the time to be able to help, check to see if your
precinct needs more election workers. The job probably won't pay much,
but it's incredibly important.

--
Kathy - Chairman of the election board for my precinct
Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval at http://www.gnksa.org/
Old September 15th 04, 10:06 AM
Pogonip

Atom1 wrote:

Who keeps her vote and thoughts to herself (the reason there are curtains
in your voting stations)

When I voted last week on the new computer voting machine,
there were no curtains. There were two wings attached at
a 45º angle to the main screen, and the print on the
screen was huge. No body would have had any difficulty
reading my computer screen from 20 feet away. Also, the
machines were set so that the voter faced the wall and the
machine screen faced the center of the room. I will
admit, it made me a little uneasy. I grew up with the old
voting machines that had the handle that closed the
curtain and recorded the vote when you opened the curtain.

I wonder if I could whip up a portable curtain unit before
the general election.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old September 15th 04, 12:39 PM
Karen Maslowski

I'm pretty sure that the reason for the openness is so that hackers with
evildoing on their minds don't go into the curtained roomlet, whip out a
portable, flexible keyboard, hack into the system, and change millions
of votes in one fell swoop. I saw a piece on one of the news shows that
illustrated this (or heard it on the radio, can't remember which). The
portable keyboard rolls up, tucks inside a sleeve, and makes it
ridiculously easy for security to be breached.

But it is a shame. I prefer privacy to my vote, as well.

Karen in Ohio

Old September 15th 04, 03:06 PM
Taria

I like to absentee vote and that way you have privacy and
time. DH got waylaid at work one year and ended up out of
town later than the polls were open. He votes absentee
too since then. They do get counted here.
Taria

Old September 15th 04, 04:36 PM
nana2b

We have early voting and it is much easier than waiting in line on Election
Day. Usually in and out in less than 5 minutes. Last election was in a
school gym and I was the only one aside from the election workers. I'll go
early this year too. I do miss the excitement of voting on Election Day,
but time is of the essence.

Linda

Old September 15th 04, 08:12 PM
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

teleflora wrote:

It counts, sorta. They count the ballots, then if the absentee ballots
might change the outcome of the election they will do it. Saving your
tax dollars in action. (rolling eyes)

I don't vote absentee any more ever since I found that out.

Now, this is in Canada, right?

Nope, California.

--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean,
But much benefit is derived from the labor of the ox.
Old September 15th 04, 08:13 PM

small change wrote:

I don't vote absentee any more ever since I found that out.

I'd still rather vote absentee and have my vote exist, than to vote on a
computer and have it mysteriously dissapear.

We have paper ballots here.
Old September 15th 04, 08:22 PM
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

teleflora wrote:

Do you have proof of this, or do we just have to believe it because you
said so? Certainly there must be something on the web that will support
this assertion.

Not that I expect this to make one iota of difference to you:

You sure don't know me very well. Thank you for the links. They were
very interesting.

It reminds me of something that happened four years ago when some
conservative candidate was at someplace like Harvard campaigning for the
primaries and got roundly booed by the liberals, but then after that
when a liberal candidate -- I think it was Gore -- was accidentally
scheduled to speak at a very conservative place -- maybe a Bible college
or something -- where people opposed everything the candidate stood for,
they let the candidate come and were very polite to him.

I'm not argumentative -- I was just curious. I see both sides accusing
the opposition of the same tactics to the point where both sides could
not be true.

Old September 15th 04, 08:23 PM
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

I.E.Z. wrote:

Gladly. I am not a liar.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n... 418216&rfi=6

I never said you were a liar. I just wanted to read something from the
general press to see the whole picture

Melinda, who grew up in Stroudsburg, county seat of Monroe County, and
who congratulates you on your choice of newspapers, although the Pocono
Record was her choice when she lived back there