9/11, sewing, and off topic thoughts

Old September 13th 04, 05:09 AM
Karen Maslowski

We do have to remember that this is an *international* forum, and that
our US political issues don't necessarily reflect the interests of
everyone who posts/reads here.

That said, I have to also point out that we've had some ridiculously
off-topic (but often fascinating) subjects he gall bladder surgery,
travel stories, cooking/recipes, and on, and on. This is a true
community, one in which no two people are alike, and in which we have a
vast supply of interesting and creative minds. I don't always agree with
some of the sewing posts either (Tom Farrell's ban on pressing, for
instance), but it doesn't have to get personal.

Let's do our own little part towards world peace, shall we?

Thanks for listening,
Karen in Ohio

Old September 13th 04, 05:44 AM
Pogonip

Tom Farrell wrote:

And so another 9/11 has come and gone.

Hear! Hear! Well said, Tom. Vote absentee if you live
in a state using the Diebold machines. That way there
_is_ a paper record. We have an electronic voting machine
here that gives the option of a printed ballot. You have
to request it, but once you do, it prints and you can see
it before you leave the machine. What it doesn't have is
any privacy. The screen can be seen and read from across
a large room, and the only nod to privacy is two "wings"
on the sides.

--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old September 13th 04, 07:47 AM
Tom Farrell

"Poohma" wrote:
"I.E.Z." wrote:

Did you know you have to sign a loyalty oath to see Bush? - he appeared
locally and only supporters were allowed in.

A loyalty oath to whom or to what? If it is to Bush, that is a very scary
thing to contemplate.

Yes. In order to be admitted into Bush's presence in any of his
appearances, you have to sign an oath of loyalty to him.

Just yesterday I saw a photo on the web, showing someone who snuk in
to protest... in the photo, she was being dragged out. By her hair.

Tom
Old September 13th 04, 08:10 AM
Tom Farrell

"Wanda Moody" wrote:
I have been visiting this newsgroup quite some time, and have thoroughly
enjoyed it. However, this message and responses has turned my stomach so
much I had to respond.

Good. It's about time that people in this country start feeling
uncomfortable.

I get enough bias reporting from the media and it

Yes, it's really terrible how Fox News is in the Republicans pocket,
isn't it?

was so nice to get on the sewing newsgroups and forget all the world's
troubles. I am very proud of our troops over seas and believe me they don't
think our President Bush is wrong.

Really? That's not what I'm hearing. Of course, the military ordered
soldiers to stop posting their opinions on the web after so many of
them expressed their low morale, fear, and anger about their
circumstances...

BUT
I don't think this is the place to give your political views.

You're right. It isn't. That's why I labeled this discussion "off
topic". If you don't like it, set your killfile to delete off-topic
messages.

I am not so
sure I can even keep visiting this group, right now I am so upset I can't
see straight. You see I am a military wife and I know what fears and
sleepless nights all relatives and loved ones go through while our sons,
daughters, spouses, friends, brothers and sisters go through while our
military loved one is protecting our country.

I resent your implication that my opposition to Mr. Bush has anything
at all to do with my opinions about the fine men and women who are
serving our country in uniform. If anything, you may note that I
complained about the cutting of veterans' benefits by the current
administration. I could also complain about the cuts to pay and
benefits to many currently serving military personnel. Perhaps these
may even have effected your family?

And just to end this, all of
you that think President Bush is wrong, why don't you go over seas and try
and talk to the terrorists that are killing our sons and daughters and
beheading the innocent people?

It's illegal for ordinary citizens to attempt to perform diplomacy on
behalf of the United States, and Mr. Bush doesn't want me in uniform,
so I guess I really can't, now can I?

And moreover, I very deeply resent your implication that my lack of
support for Mr. Bush in any way equates to a lack of support for
fighting terrorism. It's precisely this kind of nonsense that is
destroying this country. It is not unpatriotic to disagree. It is not
disloyal to believe that someone else would better fill the role of
President. I believe Mr. Bush has done an extremely poor job of
fighting the "War on Terrorism". I'd like to see someone else have a
go, in part because I'd like to see your husband home safe, and I
believe a different president would give him a better chance.

Tom
Old September 13th 04, 08:12 AM
Tom Farrell

Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

It would be an awful country if everybody here agreed 100% with
everything, though.

Amen.

Thank you for disagreeing with me politely.

Tom
Old September 13th 04, 08:28 AM
Tom Farrell

"Each man must for himself alone decide what is right and what is
wrong, which course is patriotic and which isn't.* You cannot shirk
this and be a man.* To decide against your conviction is to be an
unqualified and excusable traitor, both to yourself and to your
country, let men label you as they may."*- Mark Twain
Old September 13th 04, 11:53 AM
Pat in Virginia

Any time one encounters difficulty at the polling place, one
should request to speak with the Chief Officer of Election at the
site. Speak up and ask for more privacy. If not satisfied, ask to
speak to the Chairman of the County (or Town, City, Etc.)
Electoral Board. You might have to wait as she or he travels over
the district during the polling hours. (I am referring to the
USA, as I do not know about voting elsewhere.)

BTW to everyone: working the polls anywhere is serious and tiring
work ... I'd like to ask everyone to try to have a nice word for
the workers. If you forget your identification or go to the wrong
polling station, please do not snarl at the workers. Find out
before your election day just when, where, and how you will vote.
Check on the identification requirements. Find out now about
registration, so you won't miss out. Remember, if you live in a
place that has elections, you are very fortunate. Many in the
world do not!

PAT in VA/USA
PS: Excuse me. Yes, this is cross posted, but I do not know the
forum where Pogonip is posting. I'm at RCTS.

Old September 13th 04, 12:40 PM
Pat in Virginia

Tom Farrell wrote:

"Wanda Moody" wrote:

....CUT...
I am not so
sure I can even keep visiting this group, right now I am so upset I can't
see straight. You see I am a military wife and I know what fears and
sleepless nights all relatives and loved ones go through while our sons,
daughters, spouses, friends, brothers and sisters go through while our
military loved one is protecting our country.

I resent your implication that my opposition to Mr. Bush has anything
at all to do with my opinions about the fine men and women who are
serving our country in uniform. If anything, you may note that I
complained about the cutting of veterans' benefits by the current
administration. I could also complain about the cuts to pay and
benefits to many currently serving military personnel. Perhaps these
may even have effected your family?

Wanda did NOT implicate that you do not care about the troops.
She simply stated that she has first hand experience with what
the family members experience.

And moreover, I very deeply resent your implication that my lack of
support for Mr. Bush in any way equates to a lack of support for
fighting terrorism.

....CUT...

Tom

Again, Wanda did not imply ANYTHING about your support for
fighting terrorism. She ONLY stated HER opinions!! She is just as
entitled to express her ideas as you are. PAT

Old September 13th 04, 03:00 PM
Taria

They get counted here. Numbers are even released.

I disagree with Tom and am sorry he felt the need to bring the subject here.
Taria

Karen Maslowski wrote:

Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

small change wrote:

This is a serious issue. If you vote by absentee ballot, you can be
assured
that your vote will be counted.

Not in my area. They don't count the absentee ballots unless they
need to.

What!? So much for every vote counting!
Karen in Ohio

Old September 13th 04, 06:28 PM
I.E.Z.

"Tom Farrell" wrote in message
om...
"Poohma" wrote:
"I.E.Z." wrote:

Did you know you have to sign a loyalty oath to see Bush? - he

appeared
locally and only supporters were allowed in.

A loyalty oath to whom or to what? If it is to Bush, that is a very

scary
thing to contemplate.

Yes. In order to be admitted into Bush's presence in any of his
appearances, you have to sign an oath of loyalty to him.

Just yesterday I saw a photo on the web, showing someone who snuk in
to protest... in the photo, she was being dragged out. By her hair.

Tom

Another person here locally who says she was undecided was stopped from
getting tickets when one of the Bush workers said she'd seen her at a
protest. The woman involved denies she was ever in a protest, but isn't
sure and wanted to hear what the president had to say for himself. No go.
She was kicked out of the ticket office.

It is both frightening and sickening.

Iris