9/11, sewing, and off topic thoughts

Old September 29th 04, 07:28 AM
Claire Owen

Speaking of guitars and funky fabrics: has anyone ever made a guitar
case? My hard cases are really, *really* old and sort of falling apart.
I keep rehabilitating them with glue, but can't seem to find one (glue)
that will last and hold the covering papers down. --
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

I use woodglue to stick a lot of paper, I also use it to stick felted paper
to the base of marble statues, there is a waterproof version so prahaps that
could help. It dries clear, just because you aren't gluing wood doesn't meen
you can't use it, after all paper and card are derived from wood or at least
thats my thinking. Might help for the guitar case.
HTH

Claire in Montréal, France.
http://claireowenperso.free.fr

Old September 29th 04, 12:53 PM
Trish Brown

Claire Owen wrote:
Speaking of guitars and funky fabrics: has anyone ever made a guitar
case? My hard cases are really, *really* old and sort of falling apart.
I keep rehabilitating them with glue, but can't seem to find one (glue)
that will last and hold the covering papers down. --
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

I use woodglue to stick a lot of paper, I also use it to stick felted paper
to the base of marble statues, there is a waterproof version so prahaps that
could help. It dries clear, just because you aren't gluing wood doesn't meen
you can't use it, after all paper and card are derived from wood or at least
thats my thinking. Might help for the guitar case.
HTH

Claire in Montréal, France.
http://claireowenperso.free.fr

Thanks, Claire! That's one glue I haven't tried, but it makes sense
after reading your post! I'm still interested to hear from anyone who
might have made a guitar case, though. One of these days, I'm gonna take
the plunge! ;-D

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old September 29th 04, 03:33 PM

On 2004-09-29 sai
d:
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing

Trish Brown opined:

Emily, why did you want to cover up your DGS??? ;-

Don't have one, do you? G

Speaking of guitars and funky fabrics: has anyone ever made a guitar
case? My hard cases are really, *really* old and sort of falling
apart. I keep rehabilitating them with glue, but can't seem to find
one (glue) that will last and hold the covering papers down. Anyway,
I've often thought of making my own case.

I reckon I could easily cut a pattern from either the old cases or
even the guitars themselves. The thing is, though, whatever I make
needs to protect the instruments adequately.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd *love* to hear them!
For example: what fabric would be most suitable? Is there anything
a bit 'gutsier' I could use to increase the protection?

point in using buckram? Is there anything (some kind of stiff
plastic?) I could sandwich between layers to add strength?

I made a cover for the head of my hand-drum of burgundy velvet
upholstery fabric, some thin plywood, and synthetic fleece material,
elastic turned-down edge.

If the guitar cases are physically sound (or can be made so), how
about covering them with something elegant? Beats reinventing the
infrastructure. Yes, I'd sure want good armor around that 12-string!

Tom Willmon
Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA

The shortest distance between two points is always under construction.

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered
Old September 29th 04, 06:10 PM
Claire Owen

"Trish Brown" a écrit dans le message de news:
Claire Owen wrote:
[...]

Glad to help Trish. I use wood glue for loads of things around the house,
especialy fixing falling apart school books that my sons bring home! I swear
the teachers hand them out especialy knowing that I am likley to repair them
when others won't worry to.

Old September 29th 04, 08:15 PM
Poohma

"Trish Brown" wrote in message

Emily, why did you want to cover up your DGS??? ;-

Don't have one, do you? G

LOL! No, I don't! I have a great-niece, though, and she's recently
learned how to say 'Shut up!' Why is it that it takes ages to teach a
two-year-old to use her potty but only an instant for her to hear and
indelibly remember 'Shut up!'???

I made a cover for the head of my hand-drum of burgundy velvet
upholstery fabric, some thin plywood, and synthetic fleece material,
elastic turned-down edge.

If the guitar cases are physically sound (or can be made so), how
about covering them with something elegant? Beats reinventing the
infrastructure. Yes, I'd sure want good armor around that 12-string!

Tom Willmon
Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA

Now *there's* a great idea! Yes, I could very easily cover the cases
with fabric and probably some kind of batting. That would work really
well! Thanks so much for that!

Can you think of a way I can cover the things *and* keep the case
closures intact? Sorry to be so worrisome, but I'm almost there and this
has annoyed me for twenty years or more (yeah, they're that old - what
does that tell ya about me!?)

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Pardon me for jumping in, but why not make a slipcover for the case? Do the
tracing around the case and make it big enough to put the original case in.
Make the cover out of some really study decorator goods, nice pre-quilted
fabric or quilt your own. Sew one side of the case closed and insert an
upholstery zip for the rest of the case as you are leaving an opening large
enough to slip in the old case. Did that for my old case which is pushing
30-not gorgeous, but it works. I'd take a picture, but the thing is put away
and I can't get at it right now.
--
The Vegas Beth P
(STILL missing Georgia)

Old September 29th 04, 09:18 PM
Trish Brown

Claire Owen wrote:

Glad to help Trish. I use wood glue for loads of things around the house,
especialy fixing falling apart school books that my sons bring home! I swear
the teachers hand them out especialy knowing that I am likley to repair them
when others won't worry to.

Claire in Montréal, France.
http://claireowenperso.free.fr

Claire, have you seen the 'Reader's Digest Repair Manual'? I have a very
old volume, but in it, there's a whole chapter on repairing and
*re-binding* books! I keep *meaning* to do a proper book-binding course,
but have never gotten around to it. This book, though, has enabled me to
rescue quite a few precious books and, as you say, moribund school
texts. One of the great things I've been able to keep in my stash is
loosely-woven, gauze-like interfacing. This makes a wonderful spine
repair for hardback books! The whole process of repairing a broken spine
requires nothing more exotic than white craft glue!

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old September 29th 04, 09:20 PM
Trish Brown

Poohma wrote:

Pardon me for jumping in, but why not make a slipcover for the case? Do the
tracing around the case and make it big enough to put the original case in.
Make the cover out of some really study decorator goods, nice pre-quilted
fabric or quilt your own. Sew one side of the case closed and insert an
upholstery zip for the rest of the case as you are leaving an opening large
enough to slip in the old case. Did that for my old case which is pushing
30-not gorgeous, but it works. I'd take a picture, but the thing is put away
and I can't get at it right now.

Another great idea, Poohma, but owing to the weight of my largest
guitar, I really want not to have to insert the instrument through a
zippered opening: I'm after a way of preserving the opening lid of the
existing case.

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old September 29th 04, 10:12 PM
Poohma

Poohma wrote:

[...]

Actually, that is sort of what I meant: you only seam one side and then
zipper the rest so that when you unzip, the lid of the guitar case inside
will open regularly.

-----------------Sew this part
| | zippers on open edges ending at -
| |
------- -------Gap=opening for handle of old case

I know it's a rectangle, but does it make sense? If not, maybe it will work
for something else :-)
--
The Vegas Beth P
(STILL missing Georgia)

Old September 29th 04, 11:51 PM
Karen M.

Trish wrote:
Thanks, Claire! That's one glue I haven't tried, but it makes sense
after reading your post! I'm still interested to hear from anyone who
might have made a guitar case, though. One of these days, I'm gonna take
the plunge! ;-D

I've made gig bags for low brass horns. Ripstop outer, soft flannel
inside, sandwich with "egg crate" foam padding. One twin-size mattress
pad would make several bags. Nylon strapping, velcro or buckles. And a
critical design element is reflective tape sewn on in an early stage
of construction.
A guitar would need a lot more padding, or a stiffer liner.
Could you just "upholster" your existing case with nylon pack
cloth? That eould stabilize it and remove a lot of the construction
challenges.
HTH

--Karen M.
not the sewing book author