Quilt shop in Paris

Old April 6th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanga6

Default Quilt shop in Paris

I was going to try to get to the quilt shop in Paris on Friday since I
was there for a business trip, but life got in the way.

Imagine if you will, you are 73 years old and this is your first trip
back to Paris since you left when you were 18. You had flown in from
the west coast of the United states the day before, your are staying
in Paris for a week with your daughter and grand daughter, and on your
first day, you lose your purse somewhere near the Eiffel tower.

Now cut to two intrepid travelers who no longer hang out at the sights
of Paris, they have been to Paris so many times before that now they
trek deep off the beaten path, but due to the need of a picture of the
Eiffel tower, on that day they find themselves in the area trying to
get that perfect picture. It is a beautiful day, blue sky with puffy
white clouds and a mild temperature somewhere in the mid 60s. As he is
taking the picture, she is looking around thinking about how good a
glass of wine would be at a nearby café... and it is then that she spots
the purse, the leather color the same as the ground it was lying on.

What do you do? It goes without saying that you try to find the
rightful owner, but how? Do you turn it in to the police? Do you try
to track the rightful owner down yourself? Would the US embassy be of
any help? After waiting for about 5 minutes with the purse, she
decides to go through the purse and see if there was any information
inside that would help identify the owner. The plane ticket receipt
from the Air France flight identified the date of arrival into France,
there were the 2 credit cards, a drivers license, insurance cards,
cash (a sickening $500 equivalent). No passport, thank goodness. He
takes the drivers license and begins to look near the Eiffel tower for
someone who remotely looks like the picture on the license. He has no
luck. When he returns, she calls a friend in the states to see if he
could look her up since we had a name and address. A message is left
on her answering machine in California. She searches the purse again
and this time finds a hotel key. So after searching for the number,
she calls the hotel (a very expensive and exclusive hotel located near
the opera House) No one by that name is registered at the hotel, and
somehow in the conversation you get cut off. So they decide to go to
the hotel. The key is encrypted for the room and they should be able
to read the room from the key and verify if she is still at the hotel.

So off they go to the hotel. On the way they pass by Cartier and other
high end shops. She says "want to go buy me something there?" He
thinks for a minute and says "sure we have 2 extra credit cards..."
Nice joke, she smiles....On arrival to the hotel, the hotel staff is
amazed that someone was actually trying to return a purse to someone
they do not know. The head of security is called and so is the head of
customer relations. Someone gives them a voucher for free drinks at
the bar. The contents of the purse are counted and the room is
verified to belong to the daughter of the woman whose purse was lost.
Information on hotel and phone number for the intrepid travelers is
taken. They promise someone will call them. After a wonderful glass of
wine at the bar, the two intrepid travelers are off back to their own
hotel to get ready for a work function they had that evening.

The next day the cell phone rings. "Do you speak English?" asks the
caller. It is the daughter of the woman who had lost her purse. She is
grateful and extremely happy that the purse was found and returned.
They had spent part of the day searching for the purse to no avail.
Mom is in a wheel chair and the three of them, mom, daughter and
granddaughter had not noticed when the purse slipped out of the chair
and was lost. The hotel had blocked their room so when they had
returned, they could not get in their room and were forced to go down
to the front desk. I would imagine having a day like that and then
thinking as I could not get in the room, "Great, now what?" 'Now
what?' was that hotel security had mom's purse.

They have 5 more days in Paris. I dare say they will be much more
careful about their belongings. I hope their visit is full of fun and
that the trip is everything they hoped it would be. I can get to the
quilt shop on the next trip!

Old April 6th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

What a marvellous, marvellous story. Well done, indeed, Jean -
wonderful detective work. I'm so very pleased it worked and you got the
purse back to the owner. I'm even more pleased that the owner contacted
you to thank you. Great day for everyone concerned (including the
hotel).
..
In message
,
jeanga6 writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 6th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
jeanga6 wrote:

I was going to try to get to the quilt shop in Paris on Friday since I
was there for a business trip, but life got in the way.

Wow! Jean, you did a great thing. I can only imagine how upset the
purse's owner and her daughter must have been and how overjoyed they
became after your very kind deed! Good for you!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old April 6th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TerriLee in WA[_2_]

Incredible!! What a lot of trouble you went to, but what a happy
ending. Good job!!
TerriLee in WA (state)

Old April 6th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

My, it was their lucky day that you came along. They and you won't forget
the trip to Paris in a hurry!

Old April 6th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Wow! I hope the next time I lose something important, some wonderful person
like you is around to rescue me! Makes for a different sort of culture
experience :-)
Roberta in D

Old April 6th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Amazing story! Though I at first thought YOU were the person or group who
lost the purse!
What a great job of investigation. There is a place for you in heaven for
your honesty and perserverance.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old April 6th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 07:46:21 -0700 (PDT), jeanga6
wrote:

[...]

glass of wine would be at a nearby cafй... and it is then that she spots
[...]

Hurrah for good people! I'm glad the hotel recognised your honesty
and hard work and gave you some nice wine. It was good that the folks
involved called to speak to you as well. Good story, and thanks
for sharing it with us....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old April 6th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Apr 6, 10:46*am, jeanga6 wrote:
[...]

Inspector Clouseau Lives! Magnifique!

John

Paris France quilt shops annie, england Quilting 12 May 19th 06 05:34 PM
OT Paris Quilt or fabric shop Susan Quilting 16 August 12th 05 04:13 AM
re Paris quilt shop The Laws Quilting 7 August 10th 05 11:36 PM
Quilt Shop Quilting 7 July 10th 04 03:54 AM
Quilt shop C & S Quilting 12 July 1st 04 02:01 AM