Directory - better re-introduce myself

Old January 4th 08, 07:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanga6

Default Directory - better re-introduce myself

So the rules say that I have to be a poster to be listed and someone
might need to vouch for me, ok that is fair. So let me stop lurking
and reintroduce myself. I just re-found this news group, I was a
member years ago, part of the "Atlanta gang" but when work updated my
computer, I lost how to get to it. Then, while packing for the big
move I found and address for Elke, a former member of the group and
wondering what happen to her I did a search. That led me to a quilters
link that led me here. Funny how I recognize many of you. So anyway, I
have been lurking for the last two weeks and in the midst of that
lurking, I have moved. Just a small one from Atlanta GA to Metz
France. It has been a busy couple of months to get here and now that I
am here, I have only one thing to say....ITS COLD AND DARK HERE! Ok I
am better now. I can't sew right now because I do not have a sewing
machine, it comes here with me as my carry-on at the end of this
month. I am going back to the states for Jinny Beyer. Hey, I have my
priorities! To make sure I could bring them I checked and just in case
any of you need to do this, the later model Bernina machines (I have
a 180) are dual powered, just change the power cord or put an adapter
on the end. The Viking machines (I own a SE) is the same, dual
powered. How convenient! the SE stays in Atlanta, the 180 comes here.
the SE is too big to be a carry-on, the 180 fits in the suitcase. The
embroidery unit is already here as are some theads and other
embroidery and sewing needs. It is ok that it is not here, my first
day of work is Monday and I need to focus on that. New job (in
english) and getting used to a new country. Ahhhh, no I do not speak
fluent french, I have the equivalent for 2 years of college french,
but that is barely enough to operate on the economy. When I can order
from the soup nazi at the covered market (we named him after the
sienfeld guy) I will know I have arrived. I am really not sure how to
order that bone marrow soup, or how not too...all he sells is soup and
the menu is a scrible of stuff that I really do not understand.

Jean
(cold and today, snowy Metz)
Old January 4th 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Great to meet you Jean (or meet you again? I forget - I do apologise).
Yes, it is very dark in this part of the world at the moment. However,
you'll get the benefit in the summer, when the days will be longer than
Georgia.
The logistics of your move sound horrendous. Congratulations on getting
it all figured out.
..
In message
,
jeanga6 writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 4th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Good to see you! So you're in Alsace, right? Foodie heaven? (That might
actually be Lyon, but it's close!) You will no doubt be miserable with
culture shock until June or thereabouts, so don't despair. Also, they
probably don't speak anything much like the French you learned in college
:-)
I'm just down the road near Munich -come on over.
Roberta in D

Old January 4th 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

On Jan 4, 8:38*am, "Roberta Zollner" wrote:
[...]

(cold and today, snowy Metz)- Hide quoted text -

Welcome Jean! or welcome back. Sabbaticals are allowed. Life
interferes on us sometimes!
Your move sounds a bit more than a small one! Jumped the pond,eh? Good
luck on your new job.
amy in CNY
Old January 4th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

What an exciting adventure. I do wish you would post more often and share
your quilting life with us as well as ordering soup and other things. Wow.
Polly

"Patti" wrote in message
Great to meet you Jean (or meet you again? I forget - I do apologise).
Yes, it is very dark in this part of the world at the moment. However,
you'll get the benefit in the summer, when the days will be longer than
Georgia.
The logistics of your move sound horrendous. Congratulations on getting
it all figured out.
.
In message
,
jeanga6 writes

Old January 4th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

What a kick! I would love to live in another country for awhile and see what
I can see, do what I can do and eat what I can eat! LOL

Hello from Sunny Florida
Boca Jan

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old January 4th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

You are living our dream! I really envy you. What a grand adventure,
and... you get to take the SM along on the adventure. Wow.

As for the cold and dark -- we moved from Phoenix to Washington State
eight years ago. At the darkest, it's dark at 4 p.m. every day.
However, summer repays us for all that dark. Midsummer days are light
until 10 p.m. and then some and the angle of the light is just grand.

Good luck with the language. That's one I never mastered.

Now, I want to know what kind of job sends you from Georgia to France
and if the move is permanent, if you will be "commuting" or ....
everything!

Great meeting you,
Sunny
Old January 4th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
jeanga6 wrote:

So the rules say that I have to be a poster to be listed and someone
might need to vouch for me, ok that is fair. So let me stop lurking
and reintroduce myself.

snip

Welcome back, Jean! I wish I could say I have a terrific memory for
names, but I don't. But, wow, am I jealous of your opportunity! I
taught French for many years and wish I could have lived there for a
time in order to get a better feel for the French culture.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old January 4th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default Back to the ng... was: Directory - better re-introduce myself

Howdy!

Jean? From Atlanta?
Like sands thru' the hourglass?
The Jean who designed some patterns?
That Jean?

Welcome back. Hope to hear more from you.

Ragmop/Sandy --would also like to have your addy
(I don't do the directory)

On 1/4/08 1:36 AM, in article
, "jeanga6"

Old January 5th 08, 07:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanga6

Yes, that Jean. Can hardly wait to get my machine, but of course there
is that work thing looming.

Just so you all know, here is info on this move....

Metz is located in Lorraine (of Alsace Lorraine as it is commonly
called, they place the two regions together) I am 30km from
Saarbrücken Germany and about 40km from Luxembourg city and 20 km from
Nancy. Unfortunately we don't quite have the same food as they do in
Alsace, but it is close. It is a city of about 150,000 people.

Work - pays for the appt we live in and gives us a leased car for the
duration we are here. My DH and I are here, but for now I had to leave
the QI's at home. We have two; Macy and Ginger, two very large cats.
My appt is located on one of the main squares in town on the 3rd
floor (63 steps to get there) and is huge! Really nice big windows
that right now are being splattered by rain. the appt has 3 bedrooms
and sort of 3 baths. Strange as it sounds, this is not too strange for
europe, the appt has 1 full bath, one room with a toilet and small
sink (common) and then a room with a large sink and a shower (never
seen that before) We have cable TV, but only if you speak French,
German or Italian. No english channels. Lucky for me I have a working
knowledge of German so to understand the weather and most of the news
is easy.

questions I have been asked,

What did you do with the house? well, Dawn (a member of the Atlanta
gang) moved back to Atlanta a couple of months ago and got a job. She
was immediately recruited to house sit. The house is paid for (has
been for years) so if she pays the utilities and watches the cats, I
am happy. She is happy too since it is a really nice part of town and
the utilities are cheaper then the rent she was paying in a ikky part
of town - we have a 3 bedroom ranch.

How long are you staying? Right now the plan is 2 years with the
option of forever...we will see. If we stay forever, we sell the house
in 4 or 5 years.

Did you ship all your stuff - You guys are funny....Think about it for
a minute, you are moving to france, what do you pack??? We were
allowed 400lbs. Most of that are things like books (we work in
accadamia), kitchen things, clothes and, ok maybe a little thread and
batting?

Just as a comment, only 1 person when we told them we were moving to
Metz said "Why???" everyone else has been saying things like Wow, you
are living our dream or some such comment. The one person who said
"Why???" is in the prime of her career and absolutally can not even
dream of moving anywhere for any reason. Climbing the coporate ladder
has its setbacks.

Roberta - Dh had meetings every once in a while in Munich. We were
there at the end of November. I have friends who live in the Stuttgart
area, we lived there in the early 90s working for Atcetel - I like
Germany, I dropped off stuff with a friend when we were here in
November that I have to go get. My embroidery unit for one thing...

I am sure France will grow on me.I completed my masters degree here
(classes were in english) and I have been visiting DH as he has been
working here the last 2 summers but It is very different. The
appartment has light purple walls in the kitchen (call it an accent
wall), Orange in the front room , purple in the bedroom and red accent
walls in the living room (non accent walls are off white) Got to love
the French. Actually it is not bad, except the orange, not sure about
that one.

Jean in Metz