How to keep grosgrain ribbon from unraveling

Old March 21st 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Myrna

Default How to keep grosgrain ribbon from unraveling

HI, Everyone,
I recently made a shirt for my granddaughter and used today's
grosgrain ribbon to embelish it. In the past, a grosgrain ribbon would
not unravel when the end is cut diagonally. This ribbon seems to want
to unravel. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
I bought the ribbon at a craft store. It's polyester. Is this the
problem?

Thanks for your help!
Myrna

Old March 21st 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Liz Megerle

Polyester can be melted. Is the ribbon end loose enough to bring a
match near it? Try it on a sample first.
Liz

Old March 21st 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Doreen

Myrna wrote:
HI, Everyone,
I recently made a shirt for my granddaughter and used today's
grosgrain ribbon to embelish it. In the past, a grosgrain ribbon would
not unravel when the end is cut diagonally. This ribbon seems to want
to unravel. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
I bought the ribbon at a craft store. It's polyester. Is this the
problem?

Thanks for your help!
Myrna

Myrna,

Try a very thin bead of Fray Check, or similar product, along the cut
edge. On pastel ribbons sometimes the color darkens a little bit where
the FC penetrates; on darker colors, it usually doesn't.

Doreen in Alabama
Old March 21st 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Myrna

On Mar 21, 1:19 pm, Doreen wrote:
Myrna wrote:
HI, Everyone,
I recently made a shirt for my granddaughter and used today's
grosgrain ribbon to embelish it. In the past, a grosgrain ribbon would
not unravel when the end is cut diagonally. This ribbon seems to want
to unravel. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
I bought the ribbon at a craft store. It's polyester. Is this the
problem?

Thanks for your help!
Myrna

Myrna,

Try a very thin bead of Fray Check, or similar product, along the cut
edge. On pastel ribbons sometimes the color darkens a little bit where
the FC penetrates; on darker colors, it usually doesn't.

Doreen in Alabama

Where would I get Fray Check? I"m a little afraid of using a match!

Old March 21st 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Myrna wrote:

Where would I get Fray Check? I"m a little afraid of
using a match!

Most fabric and crafts stores carry it:
http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase...p?ITEM_NUM=674

Old March 22nd 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Doreen

BEI Design wrote:
Myrna wrote:

Where would I get Fray Check? I"m a little afraid of
using a match!

Most fabric and crafts stores carry it:
http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase...p?ITEM_NUM=674

Even WalMart!

Doreen in Alabama
Old March 22nd 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Joy Beeson

On 21 Mar 2007 12:33:18 -0700, "Myrna" wrote:

I"m a little afraid of using a match!

Got a soldering iron?

I always use a candle for flame-testing and the like. Don't have to
hold it, don't have to rush the job for fear of burning my fingers. .

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing

Old March 23rd 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Myrna wrote:

HI, Everyone,
I recently made a shirt for my granddaughter and used today's
grosgrain ribbon to embelish it. In the past, a grosgrain ribbon would
not unravel when the end is cut diagonally. This ribbon seems to want
to unravel. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
I bought the ribbon at a craft store. It's polyester. Is this the
problem?

Thanks for your help!
Myrna

When I use grograin ribbons (or satin ribbons) to embellish, I turn the
edges under to the wrong side. I did a repair on some jeans for the
neighbor girl a while back. The rip was just below her pocket. So I
mended from the inside, then laid about 6 rows of coordinating ribbons over
the patch. I turned the ends under and zig zagged over them all. You can
do the same thing if you are edgestitching the ribbons. Just turn under
the ends and edge stitch across the fold at the ends. Now, if you've made
a bow or something with ribbon tails hanging down, I would do a tiny rolled
hem on the ribbons. I go for Sturdy when I make children's clothing. That
way the child doesn't have to be "extra careful" or anything like that when
they wear it.

Sharon
--
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and just annoys the
pig.
Old March 27th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Myrna

On Mar 23, 9:04 am, wrote:
Myrna wrote:
[...]

I added bows with tails hanging. It's an experiment to see if the
'design' attracts interest of local moms for an upcoming craft fair. I
do need Sturdy and also fast and easy.

2 1/4" grosgrain equivalent vpenoso Sewing 0 September 6th 05 05:35 AM
Grosgrain ribbon bdiane Quilting 2 March 4th 05 11:55 AM
"An industry unraveling" [email protected] Sewing 9 January 2nd 05 02:30 AM
"An industry unraveling" [email protected] Yarn 0 December 31st 04 04:59 PM
Making grosgrain ribbon belts... help! KC Sewing 9 December 18th 04 08:03 PM