Two questions from polyclay newbie :)

Old December 19th 05, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default Two questions from polyclay newbie :)

Hi, just found this group and wondering if anyone might be able to help
me. I use Kato Polyclay and so far I really like it. Kind of stiff
and hard to get conditioned but not too bad. I'm wondering if anyone
has a sanding idea that doesn't require hand sanding with sandpaper. I
have problems with my hands and while they do hurt for awhile after
conditioning clay, I can mostly live with that. But holding on to small
items and sanding...well that makes for a whole lot more pain! Any
ideas?

The second thing...has anyone made door plaques before with polymer
clay? I want to make some for people for Christmas but I'm concerned
about them "banging" on the door when it is opened or closed. Should I
adhere some sort of feet on the back?? Would love to hear suggestions!

Thanks much, Susan )

Old December 19th 05, 06:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

I personally don't use this method but many clayers use a rock tumbler
for sanding small beads. I'm sure someone will jump in here and give
you more advice. It seems to work really well.

Cheryl

Old December 19th 05, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Polymer clay if you bake it right is fairly resilient and light weight,
it's like plastic so I don't think our door plaque would need feet. If
you find it is banging maybe a felt backing but since there's weather
to consider I'd try it without first.

There is good info about tumbling polymer clay at
http://glassattic.com/
That's usually for small items like beads. For a larger item maybe a
belt sander, dremmel or drill with attachments, you could clamp the
item down and move the dremmel or other tool if that's more
comfortable. Or texture your item so it won't need sanding.

Old December 19th 05, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Don't forget the Black&Decker Scumbuster for sanding larger items too.
It works!

Cheryl

Old December 19th 05, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

My preferred method is the Tide Stain brush. I cut out discs from
sanding sponges, remove the brush head, and attach the sanding sponge to
the unit with sticky-back velcro squares. I also leave the beads on
the baking pins or needles until I've finished sanding and dremel
buffing; that makes them easy to hold onto.

Cheers,
Carla

Old December 19th 05, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

These are great ideas, thanks! Fortunately I like the matte finish
that happens from just baking but I know I'll want to work on high
gloss sanding and buffing at some point.

The door plaque that I'm making will hang on inside doors
(condo/apartment) so I'm not worried about weather. I just don't want
it to break after smacking the door too many times I may have to
try one here at home and see how it works before I make the gifts.

Susan