peek at new canes

Old December 11th 04, 03:50 AM
Carla

The new canes are wonderful. I love the patterns and the gradations of
colors.

Cheers,
Carla

Sjpolyclay wrote:
its likely the link would help.....

http://www.polyclay.com/mpicks.JPG
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old December 11th 04, 03:54 AM
Carla

"Pet" with your finger? Explain please? I also have a question about
buffing - if you do it manually, how long does it take and what kind of
fabric/cloth do you use? I tried rubbing a piece my jeans, but after a
few minutes, I didn't notice much difference.

Cheers,
Carla

Sjpolyclay wrote:

Those are sooo pretty! Rich color combos!

I do love mixing with the gold and pearls.....when applied to things, I'll
"pet" these canes with my finger to bring out the mica glow, then probably buff
or use Varathane.

Old December 11th 04, 04:08 AM
Diana Curtis

Finally, a question I know the answer to. Petting is gently stroking the
metalic or clay with your fingertip to get the mica bits to lie in such a
way that they are shinier. I think it convinces them to lie shiney sides up.
:-)
Buffing... thats something I know little about. Have you looked at
www.glassattic.com ?
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
nk.net...

Old December 12th 04, 05:08 PM
Sjpolyclay

The new canes are wonderful. I love the patterns and the gradations of
colors.

Thanks Carla! When she showed her technique, Sandra McCaw used stacks of five
sheets of clay for the gradations of colors, and I've been using five---but
next batch I'm going to play around with some variations. I want to do some in
black and white too---it may not SOUND exciting, but I bet it could be
cool.....

Old December 12th 04, 05:14 PM
Sjpolyclay

"Pet" with your finger? Explain please? I also have a question about
buffing - if you do it manually, how long does it take and what kind of
fabric/cloth do you use? I tried rubbing a piece my jeans, but after a
few minutes, I didn't notice much difference.

I keep my hands well moisturized so they arent rough, and use my index finger
to strokeback and forth, then across the other direction of the clay as needed
to get it really smooth. You can really reduce sanding time that way. When
sanding/buffing start with a rougher grit then move quickly to the higher
numbers and get to the automotive grade stuff---btwn1000 and 2000, and it looks
like gray paper, can be done under water in a bowl with a couple of drops of
Dawn detergent---sand back and forth until smooth, then buff on a cloth like
denim or a buffing wheel thats muslin, etc---be careful with wheels as the
machines can really heat up and even burn the clay. PolymerClayCentral.com has
sanding sheet sets with various grits, and also some FAQs and tutes on
sanding/buffing. One thing to note is that clays with more translucent rather
than more opaque colors respond best. The pearlized and gold Premos are fab!!!!

Old December 12th 04, 05:16 PM
Sjpolyclay

Petting is gently stroking the
metalic or clay with your fingertip to get the mica bits to lie in such a
way that they are shinier. I think it convinces them to lie shiney sides up.

Right! known as "mica shift", manipulating the mica catching the light makes
several cool effects possible. You can also pet the matte colored clays tho
just for smoothness----makes sanding or buffing either easier, or not needed at
all.

Old December 12th 04, 07:23 PM
Carla

I think it was on glassattic where I saw the thing about rubbing it on
your jeans.

I picked up a cheapie manicure kit that came with a buffing wheel, that
does a *sorta* decent job. I figure if it worked well enough, I might
try another, higher-priced model; electric, so I don't have to keep
buying batteries

Cheers,
Carla

Diana Curtis wrote:
Finally, a question I know the answer to. Petting is gently stroking the
metalic or clay with your fingertip to get the mica bits to lie in such a
way that they are shinier. I think it convinces them to lie shiney sides up.
:-)
Buffing... thats something I know little about. Have you looked at
www.glassattic.com ?
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
nk.net...

Old December 12th 04, 07:24 PM
Carla

Hey, some of my favorite artwork is in black and white I'm looking
forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,
Carla

Old December 12th 04, 07:35 PM
Sjpolyclay

I picked up a cheapie manicure kit that came with a buffing wheel, that
does a *sorta* decent job. I figure if it worked well enough, I might
try another, higher-priced model; electric, so I don't have to keep
buying batteries

Carla, at retreats I've seen GREAT results from Scumbusters, which are pretty
lowpriced tools by comparison, say, to a Fordham buffer
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

a peek at new polyclay canes Sjpolyclay Beads 16 December 12th 04 05:06 PM
AD: Last of Grant Diffendaffer canes Grant Beads 2 February 20th 04 10:56 PM
AD: Grant Diffendaffer Texture Beads on eBay (and a vessel and canes) Grant Beads 2 January 26th 04 09:08 AM
storing canes Lisarose Polymer Clay 0 January 14th 04 03:08 AM
SNEAK PEEK at the 2003 Susan B. Komen Breast Cancer Research Auction Cheryl Beads 4 September 30th 03 04:59 AM