JustBeads Free Re-listings?

Old May 27th 04, 04:15 AM
JustBeads.com

Default JustBeads Free Re-listings?

Several JustBeads members have written to us to voice their concerns
regarding the JustBeads Free Re-List policy. The JustBeads Auction Site
exists for the beading community.....Their opinions count! In our continued
effort to provide the Best Bead Auction Site anywhere, we have instituted a
"mini poll" as a means of gathering a census from our members.

Please feel free to make your voice heard by clicking on "Free Re-Lists?
Tell Us What You Think!" on the top left side of our Home Page or by
clicking on "Take Our Poll" located on the lower right side of our Home Page
under the "Neat Stuff" banner.

Thank you
Bob

http://www.justbeads.com

Old May 27th 04, 04:42 AM
Karleen/Vibrant Jewels

The Stats link does not work, I did vote to continue the free re-lists and
I'm wondering why anyone would be against them? IMHO that's what sets
JustBeads apart from those "other" sites and why I'm sticking with
JustBeads.
--
Karleen Page/Vibrant Jewels
Vibrant Jewels Online Bead & Jewelry Store

Old May 27th 04, 04:52 AM
Cheryl

The Stats link does not work, I did vote to continue the free re-lists and
I'm wondering why anyone would be against them? IMHO that's what sets
JustBeads apart from those "other" sites and why I'm sticking with
JustBeads.

Competitor auction sites posing as disgruntled sellers???? LOL

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old May 27th 04, 08:55 AM
BeckiBead

I did vote to continue the free re-lists and
I'm wondering why anyone would be against them?

My first thought also.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old May 27th 04, 01:24 PM
E J Ralph

On 27 May 2004 07:55:22 GMT, uybeads (BeckiBead)
wrote:

I did vote to continue the free re-lists and
I'm wondering why anyone would be against them?

My first thought also.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows

There is much talk in the polymer clay community right now about this
issue, with some feeling that the constant relisting of some items,
over and over, has lead to a downturn in the buyers perception of
polymer clay as a quality medium and a downturn to sales in general.

This is what some clayers feel and the debates have been raging over
on the polymer clay delphi forums (I am poo at finding the links to
those threads, but the are over at the annex for those interested)

I think that there are many clayers who are feeling that if there were
a limit set to the amount of relists - we would not have the same
items appearing in the "new" auctions for months and sometimes years.
And that maybe this is turning customers away.

I have mixed feelings on this myself. Firstly - I am not 100 percent
sure that *is* the reason that polyclay sales are down - maybe we are
just not making nice stuff now - maybe people are bored with us? The
only way to know that would be to ask the customers themselves really.
Also, I have had items that I myself have relisted a few times, only
to find them go "hot" on the 6th listing. And I have seen this with
other sellers too - those who relist a lot, do tend to sell more. The
free relists is a big attraction for most sellers.

But - I think it is fair to say that looking through the polyclay
section now is probably not as exciting as it used to me - much of the
work is re-lists (my own included - so I hold my hands up as being
guilty too - I havent listed anything new in a while now) - many of
the more drool-worthy artists are not there anymore and so, it wouldnt
surprise me if there are less customers browsing the clay section now.

Anyway - as I said, I see both sides of that particular debate - just
posting it here to give those of you who were curious an idea why it
is that some people are voicing some negative concerns about the
Justbeads free relists policy,

in the name of openess - I cast my vote this morning and opted for
limiting it to 10 relists. - I like my relists as much as the next
gal, but I think after 10 cracks at the whip, even *I* might take the
hint at that point!

To me, I think it is a bit like the craft fair circuit - any of us who
have done craft fairs know that after a while - we get some stock that
is "tired". It may not be its fault that it didnt sell- but it needs
to retire gracefully none-the-less and I just think that those who are
anti- the relists right now feel that there is a lot of tired stock
being constantly relisted and it is starting to become detrimental to
all.

Emma

Old May 27th 04, 03:35 PM
Margie

On Thu, 27 May 2004 03:15:24 GMT, "JustBeads.com"
wrote:

Please feel free to make your voice heard by clicking on "Free Re-Lists?
Tell Us What You Think!" on the top left side of our Home Page or by
clicking on "Take Our Poll" located on the lower right side of our Home Page
under the "Neat Stuff" banner.

Wish I could see the stats.

--
Margie
http://www.picturetrail.com/margiek

Old May 27th 04, 04:06 PM
Margie

wrote:

I did vote to continue the free re-lists and
I'm wondering why anyone would be against them?

My first thought also.

Uh oh, I'm a dissenting voter!

Speaking as a buyer, I'd like to see original and exciting art. I
look through all the artist beads (glass and polymer clay) and have
gone through pages and pages of beads that were there a year ago! I
find it depressing.

If those beads aren't selling after a year, my goodness it's time to
come up with new selling ads or rearrange and mix up those beads,
price them to sell and create something new, original or different.
Understand that I'm not talking about findings and other components.

JB is an auction house, not a warehouse and if sellers want to use it
as such shouldn't they pay for that privilege? Their listing fees are
low and their final take on sold items is reasonable. I think a lot
of people list there for that reason but how long can that continue?
Putting a limit on free relists could generate a little more income
for the site and encourage some artists to create fresh and exciting
beads which in turn will bring in more buyers. It's a win, win
situation IMNSHO.

As a seller, I did not leave my wares there to gather dust and bore
potential buyers though I certainly could have. My way of thinking
was, if my goods didn't sell in a couple of months during high season
then they wouldn't sell during the lean times. I'm pretty sure I
pulled the ads before that 10th relist too!

The buying traffic on JB has dwindled and some of my favorite artists
have gone, sell elsewhere or list sporadically. Part of that is
natural occurrence, part economics and part same old, same old. I
believe that something can and should be done about that "same old,
same old" and maybe charging a fee at some point for relists is the
way to go about it.

Old May 27th 04, 04:08 PM
Margie

On Thu, 27 May 2004 12:24:39 GMT, E J Ralph
wrote:

To me, I think it is a bit like the craft fair circuit - any of us who
have done craft fairs know that after a while - we get some stock that
is "tired". It may not be its fault that it didnt sell- but it needs
to retire gracefully none-the-less and I just think that those who are
anti- the relists right now feel that there is a lot of tired stock
being constantly relisted and it is starting to become detrimental to
all.

Emma, thank you for saying it better than I could. I concur.

Old May 27th 04, 06:54 PM
BeckiBead

Yeah, see, I don't really care about all that. To me, free relists are a
service that Bob and Bettina can offer to sellers, and it is one that will keep
them coming back. They are in tough competition with the biggest auction site
on the web. I think this gives them an edge, and a reason for seller to sell
their work there in the first place.

It is good for Bob and Bettina, and good for Justbeads. I am all for it. I
think it would be foolish to take it away.

Old May 27th 04, 07:03 PM
Christina Peterson

I understand this. Sometimes I see so many relists under one seller or
another that I don't bother to look at their work anymore, because I can't
find anything new. Or if I do look, my eye just slides past.

Of course, the problem isn't with the free relisting, it's with the improper
use of it by the seller.

Tina

"E J Ralph" wrote...