Fabric Storage in Stash Room

Old October 27th 03, 02:35 AM
Allie Orange

Default Fabric Storage in Stash Room

After organizing (more or less) my magazines and patterns, I am now moving
on to how to store fibers, frills and fabrics.

I plan on using ArtBin's plastic storage containers for fibers (saw it on
Shay Pendray's show and checked with the company and it is OK for fibers),
along with the plastic containers that Kreinik sells (also OK for fibers).
http://www.artbin.com/ab_catalog/906ab.html and
http://www.kreinik.com/HTML/treasure...s_storage.html

As for frills (beads, treasures, charms) someone posted the other day about
the Ultimate Bead Storage which is just perfect:
http://www.whimbeads.com/usb.html

After reading about fabric storage in all of the RCTN archive (there was a
lot, but it wasn't like going through how everyone stores floss!!), I am
planning on rolling the fabric around muslin tubes and covering it with more
muslin and tying it up like a Christmas cracker. I have generally bought
fabric in small cuts that come prepackaged, but want to plan for when I buy
bigger cuts from bolts.

My question is this:
All of this is going to go in a series of cabinets in a closet. I can fit:
Four 23" wide cabinets or
Two 23" wide cabinets and 1 31" wide cabinet or
Two 31" wide cabinets. (The cabinets only come 23" or 31" wide.) I could
store a lot more stuff with the four 23" wide cabinets but I don't know if
I'll need the width. Do you generally get fabric wider than 22".)

I also could store the tubes on top of the cabinets where I have a 48" wide
span or on one long shelf that I have that is really long (maybe 128"), but
they would not be in any sort of cabinet. Is that OK if I put multiple
layers of the muslin on the roll? Maybe in some sort of fabric storage box?

All your help is appreciated. I feel like I need one of you official "Stash
Storers" to come help me with this! Hey, I live in Florida...maybe someone
from one of the Dakotas could come and help me around February!

Allie Orange
who is definitely proud of all of the clutter being disposed of to make
stash storage a priority! I am now addicted to TV shows "Clean House" and
"Clean Sweep"!

Old October 27th 03, 05:59 PM
Joan Erickson

Allie Orange wrote:

... I am now moving on to how to store fibers, frills and fabrics.

Actually, this has been crossing my mind lately, too, as I'm thinking
about the cabinet my dad's going to build me.

After reading about fabric storage in all of the RCTN archive

Thanks for the reminder--I'll check there.

All your help is appreciated. I feel like I need one of you official "Stash
Storers" to come help me with this! Hey, I live in Florida...maybe someone
from one of the Dakotas could come and help me around February!

Hey Allie! I qualify! Are you paying airfare? ))
--
Joan (in the northern Dakota)

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old October 27th 03, 06:29 PM
FKBABB

I am
planning on rolling the fabric around muslin tubes and covering it with more
muslin and tying it up like a Christmas cracker.

You didn't ask about this, but the thought occured to me that if you use this
storage method, it would be a good idea to attach a label to the outside of the
cracker with the dimensions, gauge, type and color of the fabric inside. That
way you won't have to open and reclose every package when you're searching for
a particular piece.

Best, Annie

Old October 29th 03, 02:59 AM
Allie Orange

I thought I would attach a tag onto one of the ribbons tying the ends. Just
one of the things that I am going to use my handy, dandy, Martha Stewart
labeler for.

PS: Some people are MS super-fans and some people hate her, but I have to
say, I ordered a small craft table, a couple of chairs, a spool rack and the
labeler from MS website and all of the stuff is top drawer and was wrapped
very well.

Old October 29th 03, 03:03 AM
Allie Orange

Wow, Joan, North Dakota!! No wonder you're a needleworker...you probably
can't go out for several months on end! And you can forget the
airfare...just have Santa bring you...I'm sure that's where he lives
Allie

Old October 29th 03, 04:41 AM
Lula

I've been considering buying that labeler from the MS catalog.....so
it's good to read how much you're enjoying using this labeler.
You're also right in how nicely everything is packed when it arrives
from MS catalog purchases.

Not sure if I'd be considered a Martha Stewart diehard fan, but her
Martha Stewart Living magazine is one of my favorites.....I always find
interesting and informative articles to read and admire how well done
the photographs and layout of the magazine are every month.

One of my goals is to have everything I box and pack neatly labeled so I
can find whatever is inside those stacks of containers in storage......I
always end up forgetting what I have in stash after awhile!

Recently found several boxes of Gumnut silks, wools, other hand dyed &
overdyes of all kinds as well as a collection of hand dyed silk ribbons
and more.....it was like Christmas!! I found all these treasures by
"accident" as I was looking for something else!
It'd be more efficient to know what I have so I don't waste time
searching, plus all my boxes, bags and tins would look even nicer
neatly labeled.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old October 29th 03, 05:20 PM
Joan Erickson

Allie Orange wrote:

Wow, Joan, North Dakota!! No wonder you're a needleworker...you probably
can't go out for several months on end!

Hey! It's not *that* bad here! In fact, last winter it was relatively
warm--only got below zero 2 or 3 days all winter! We do still have to
go to work every day (even if we don't want to).

And you can forget the airfare...just have Santa bring you...I'm sure
that's where he lives

Problem is, every year I stay up and wait for him to come give me a
ride but I always seem to fall asleep! When I wake up a few minutes
later he's been and gone. Drat! Foiled again! Let me know when you
change your mind about the airfare, Allie!

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Fabrics & free shipping on Quanities joan Marketplace 0 December 6th 03 06:12 PM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
fabrics on bidville joan Marketplace 0 September 29th 03 04:49 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM