A begging letter from Shirley and a long story.

Old May 21st 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Default A begging letter from Shirley and a long story.

About 3 months ago I read an article in a knitting group.
It was from a man who wanted to get hold of some punch cards patterns
for knitting machines.
I sent him an email asking about the request. I shall refer to this man
as JB. He explained to me that he is a business man further North to me
in UK. He had been to Kenya on holiday and had been troubled by the
plight of orphaned teenage girls. He wanted to do something for them so
he set up a small training school so they could learn hairdressing and
machine knitting. He sent them two knitting machines and some sewing
machine to do some form of embroidery. They sent him a request for punch
card patterns.
Well since I had not used my knitting machine for 9 years, not since my
heart bypass, I thought I would take the chance and clear out my books
and patterns, a few hundred pounds worth. I also asked some of my
friends if they had anything to spare. I got a card punch of ebay so
they could make their own cards.

JB was going to Kenya with his wife in March so we arranged to meet in a
lay-by of a junction on the M1 Motorway. Since the books were to heavy
for me to post. My DH and I met him there and transferred the things to
his car. He took hold of my hands and said," may God truly bless you".

I said I wished I could have done more to help them and he said he had
looked at my web pages and was impressed by the beadwork and that maybe
that was something else they could do. Then he turned to my DH and asked
if he could take me with them when he visited Kenya next year and he pay
my expenses. That is if I was well enough to go. DH said he did not mind
if I wanted to go. I am toying with the idea. My GP said if I was still
keeping well she saw no reason why not providing I took the yellow fever
and malaria precautions.

I have had communication with the lady in charge of the centre in Kenya
and they are hoping I will go and visit them and pass on my skills in
many crafts.
From the photos I have seen of the school I have already been able to
help them with the machine knitting.

Through a friend I managed to get all the cones of yarns from a shop
closing down for free also two knitting machines plus my own Hague
linker and 3 wool winders. JB and his DW came two weeks ago to pick them
up. There must have been about 2000 pounds worth of things and he is
sending them in a container. I also sent some clothing. They filled a
large van.

Now my begging bit. I am prepared to show them how to do simply beadwork
things like amulets and simple bead weaving but I cannot afford to pay
for a lot of beads.
So can I beg here and ask if you have any beads you do not want if you
could consider sending them to me. Even if I do not get chance to go to
them JB will take them.
I cannot offer to pay for postage due to my small retirement pension,
but I am asking early so you may send them by the cheapest surface
route.
If you can help and need my address please email me and put beads in the
header. I will reply and send you a picture of the centre that JB has
set up. Once any beads arrive I will send you one of my handmade thank
you cards.
Thanks and hugs
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old May 21st 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Shirley -

What kind of beads/supplies do you want, specifically? God knows I
have more stuff than an LBS, and I'd like to help. Seed beads? sizes?
stringing material? Rounds?

Katie

Old May 21st 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Absolutely any thing you have to spare.
These poor girls have nothing, they are trying to earn something to keep
their younger siblings.

Yet they are very generous girls they would share their only piece of
bread with you.

I get emails from Ruth the one who takes charge of them. She thanks me
greatly and asks God to bless me greatly for what I am trying to do.

When JB and his wife visited them in March they turned out to greet them
in borrowed shoes because they have none of their own. I am starting a
shoe collection for them amongst my friends here.
When he started the centre he had 16 girls in it. When he visited that
had arisen to 32 girls.

So please anything to do with beadwork would be fine.
Thanks you so much.
Shirley

In message .com,
katieW. writes

Old May 21st 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Shirley,
I have collections of "stuff" (base metal findings, bead pairs and singles,
etc.) that I assemble to give to pre-teens who ask a lot of questions at my
booth at craft fairs. If you would like these, let me know where to send
them.

Georgia
georgia at georgiamorgan dot net

Old May 21st 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Shirley, I have plenty of beads to send you.

I'll give you a call, if you can use seed beads.

-Su

Old May 21st 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Default Beads

"Shirley Shone" wrote in message ...

Now my begging bit. I am prepared to show them how to do simply beadwork
things like amulets and simple bead weaving but I cannot afford to pay for
a lot of beads.
So can I beg here and ask if you have any beads you do not want if you
could consider sending them to me. Even if I do not get chance to go to
them JB will take them.
I cannot offer to pay for postage due to my small retirement pension, but
I am asking early so you may send them by the cheapest surface route.
If you can help and need my address please email me and put beads in the
header. I will reply and send you a picture of the centre that JB has set
up. Once any beads arrive I will send you one of my handmade thank you
cards.

Shirley, I don't have enough beads to send but I would be happy to send them
some wool if I can figure out an economical way to do it from Canada.

If you could send me their address I'll look into it.

- Sandy
info at preciouslittlethings.ca

Old May 21st 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Shirley -- email me your address and skip the TY card, please. Others
have helped me all along and I am happy to be of help in my own way.

Becki

Old May 21st 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Shirley,
I would be happy to send you some beads. Email me your addy, please
to Beadseeker at aol.com.

Patti

Old May 22nd 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Shirley -

What else can we send? Fabric? clothes? shoes? I suppose some of
that would get heavy to ship. Is there a way that I could ship
directly from the States to the Orphanage? That way, too, Folks here
in the States could send here, and I can FedEx because I get an obscene
discount......

Just random thoughts.

Katie

Shirley Shone wrote:
[...]

From the photos I have seen of the school I have already been able to

Old May 22nd 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

This is a difficult one for me to answer.
You are right about fabric, clothes and shoes being to heavy to ship.
This is not an orphanage. These girls live in the villages near the
centre JB set up.
JB is sending a container of things for which he has to get clearance
from the government. I would take the beads with me or JB and his wife
would if I cannot go. The next trip is early next year.

I will ring JB up and ask his thoughts on it.

Thanks for thinking of them.

Shirley Shone wrote:
[...]

From the photos I have seen of the school I have already been able to