CurveMaster Presser Foot -

Old March 15th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Wedding Rings - wasCurveMaster Presser Foot -

I've made several DWR quilts. The first were of an old pattern
with all the small pieces cut indiviadually with scissors.
Lots of work. The last I made with the templates you mentioned
and went very fast. I would not hesitate to use them again.
The cutting is easy and the fit was perfect. I don't find
curves that difficult. Just take your time and after a bit
you get the hang of it. DWR has to be my favorite quilt.
Would love to see the photo of all your class quilts together.
Taria

Cats wrote:

I had a class last year that made 7 king size wedding ring
quilts with no problems. We used a set of templates (the
ones from Quilting from the Heartland by Sharlene
Jorgenson - NAYY) for the centres and "melon" pieces, and I
used the templates to draw up a foundation for the arcs. We
drew the arcs onto lightweight interfacing (not the iron-on
kind). Fabrics were cut into squares big enough to cover
the arc divisions with just a little to spare and away they
went. The arcs took no time to sew (most chain pieced 5 or
6 at once) and the "backgrounds" were mostly cut with rotary
cutters using the templates, so the blocks fitted together
exactly. Because the arcs were on foundations they had
virtually no distortion.

6 of the 7 quilts were finished within about 6 weeks, and
one of them was a Diamond Variation by Judy Neimeyer (sp?).
The woman who made the Diamond Var'n had only made one other
quilt. The 7th quilt is delayed by the demands of
grandchild(ren) quilt requirements.

The rings were about 15-16" across(?) so the curves were
gentle enough not to be a real problem. Most of the class
did not need CM feet to manage them. WRing was a pattern I
always admired but never wanted to make myself. But when
this group approached me for lessons I decided I had to find
a way that would suit their varied sewing levels or I would
go crazy. Having seen this method work so well for the
class I would never make a WR any other way. I have also
drafted an edge template so that some of the quilts can be
squared and put on a long-arm machine more easily.

I can't wait to see them all quilted and hanging in a row!

Tips if you are gonna try this method:
1. Make some practise arcs and learn the trick for sewing
them together so that the seams sit flat at the intersection
of the rings.
2. If you are going to cut your "background" with scissors
instead of a rotary cutter, get some serrated scissors.
3. Lots of fabrics in a scrappy arrangement are a lot
easier to handle. If you are doing a specific colour
arrangement, mark your foundations!

Just a thought - I was asked to arrange 40 rings for a 40th
anniversary quilt. Arranging 7 X 7 and taking out 3 X 3
from the middle was perfect, and Tracy will quilt entwined
initials in the centre panel. The same could be done for 50
(7 X 8 =56 less 2 X 3, or 6 X 9 = 54 less 2 X 2) but the
"centre" will be off-centre - if that makes any sense LOL

Old March 15th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...75796722FEQRru
I don't normally have these on webshots - but this is the
only one finished to date. An unusual colour choice for the
Pickle Dish pattern but . . . . . The motifs are appliqued
pansies the S. designed herself, all buttonhole stitched.

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Taria" wrote in message
: I've made several DWR quilts. The first were of an old
pattern
: with all the small pieces cut indiviadually with scissors.
: Lots of work. The last I made with the templates you
mentioned
: and went very fast. I would not hesitate to use them
again.
: The cutting is easy and the fit was perfect. I don't find
: curves that difficult. Just take your time and after a bit
: you get the hang of it. DWR has to be my favorite quilt.
: Would love to see the photo of all your class quilts
together.
: Taria
:
:

Old March 15th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default CurveMaster Presser Foot -

Thanks for the advice. My arcs are all one single fabric. I'm using the
Quilting from the Heartland templates. My problem in putting the second
arc with the two end pieces on. They never seem to quite line up
properly enough for my taste so I end up taking them out and trying
again. Maybe I'm just being too picky....I've uploaded a pic of the
first block. It's in the WIP's folder in my webshots album.

LizA.
Kent, WA
http://community.webshots.com/user/dittosneak

Old March 15th 06, 08:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I use my blind hem foot - it also marks the 1/4" and I don't need pins - I
do however build in a bit of trimming space so I don't have to panic if the
edges aren't *perfect*

I have a top in my photo file with my first drunkards path blocks - I only
had to rip out one seam and that was before I remembered I had breathing
space lol
--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

--
Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva

Old March 15th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Liz, that is really pretty!! Love the colors!!

--
Donna in NE La.
oups.com...

Old March 16th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

So glad to hear someone else say this. BG When I teach curved
piecing (like Karen Stone's Lady Liberty) I tell students to add a
quarter inch to all the straight edges of the templates, which have seam
allowances on them. It makes it so much easier to start and end when
you have that 1/2" which is a 90* angle. It allows you to get the
needle well into the fabric before you have to start the "continuous
pivot" of sewing around a quarter circle. And gives you room to trim
the blocks so that the seams on each block,and on both sides, are at the
same point.

Pati, in Phx

Old March 17th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

So do I! I also always tell my students that this should be fun. If it
isn't fun, why do it??
BG

Pati, in Phx