Equipment report: Curvemaster

Old January 18th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Equipment report: Curvemaster

I know that I always like to read reports on gimmicks and got-to-haves, and
those that aren't worth getting.

NAYY with Curvemaster - but I have had a good experience with them.

Bought a Curvemaster at the end of 2004 and had Pati Cook send it on to me
from the US with some other stuff (Hi Pati, are you lurking anywhere). Tried
it a couple of times, it seemed OK and then had no need to do curves for a
while. Fast forward to beginning of December 2005 - I decided that I would
really learn how to do good drunkard's path blocks over the holidays. Cut
out a big pile and dug out the Curvemaster foot and the adaptor (it comes
with around 5 different adaptors for various machines - some like Janomes
don't need an adaptor).

Horrors!! Foot was fine, adaptor was broken! Went to the website and emailed
them my sad tale. Instant response from Wendy - I was to send my details to
another email address and a free replacement adaptor would be sent forwith.
I did this, but contacted Wendy again to say I had had no confirmation from
them that my request had been dealt with. This was normal, she said, and
that the replacement would be with me in a couple of weeks.

Well, by the end of December (and my holidays) I was a little peeved, even
given Christmas postal delays, nearly four weeks was a bit long. So I sent
another whingeing email to Wendy, who immediately apologised and said that
she personally would put another replacement in the mail.

Yesterday, I got the original parcel in the mail (date-stamped 8 December -
where on earth has the parcel BEEN) with two sets of replacement adaptors.
Nice! And there is another package still out there on its way to me
somewhere.

Put the Curvemaster foor onto my machine and whipped out 36 6" drunkard's
path blocks in around 30 mins. Line the two pieces up square, take a couple
of stitches and then just lift up the top fabric and keep going. A bit of a
leap of faith the first time - but certainly easy! Some blocks were pretty
near perfect, most were fine, and none were unusable. I just need to get the
very last 1/2" of the seam sorted out. Apart from that it was great! The
actual cuves were smooth and regular. It would have taken well over 30 mins
just to have pinned those blocks sewing them with an ordinary foot (I can't
get away with less than three pins doing it the normal way) - and even with
enough pins to make a hedgehog cringe, I certainly couldn't get results
consistently better than with the Curvemaster and no pins.

So, again NAYY, except for an appreciation for nice customer service and
wanting to give credit to something that actually works, if anyone is
considering a Curvemaster - go for it!

Cheers from your consumer reporter in Cape Town, South Africa
Tutu

Old January 18th 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks SO much for this, Tutu.
Mine has been in my drawer for ... ...
OK I haven't needed to do curves! But I had intended to try it. This
has inspired me to get it out and have a go.
About the parcel delay: last week I received a parcel from the US which
had been posted on 15 December. From the various stickers on it, the
postie and I deduced it had been held in the US until after Christmas.
..
In message , Tutu Haynes-Smart
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 18th 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

----------------------8----------------------------------

So, again NAYY, except for an appreciation for nice customer service and
wanting to give credit to something that actually works, if anyone is
considering a Curvemaster - go for it!

Cheers from your consumer reporter in Cape Town, South Africa
Tutu

Glad to hear it! I bought one a while back, but never got round to
using it. Maybe that should be this tear's challenge for me - curved
blocks! They now have one for 5/8 seams, which could also be useful to
me in my dressmaking persona...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 18th 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Glad to hear it! I bought one a while back, but never got round to
using it. Maybe that should be this tear's challenge for me - curved
blocks!

I saw that Freudian slip - but perhaps with the Curvemaster, there won't be
need for tears VBG
Cheers for now
Tutu

Old January 18th 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh do try, Patti ...

BTW it will also work well as an ordinary 1/4" foot, especially for Janome
users ... the foot snaps straight on without an adaptor, I believe.
Cheers for now
Tutu
PS - My second package from Curvemaster arrived this morning (mailed 11
Jan) - so now I have 4 Pfaff adaptors and 3 each of all the others:-)

.

Old January 18th 06, 11:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tutu Haynes-Smart wrote:
I know that I always like to read reports on gimmicks and got-to-haves, and
those that aren't worth getting.

NAYY with Curvemaster - but I have had a good experience with them.

I have one that I ordered after watching it demonstrated on QNN - I
still haven't used it...maybe I need to get it out and experiment with
it There are so many blocks with curvy parts that I love but am
afraid of lol

Roberta (in VA)

Old January 18th 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tutu Haynes-Smart wrote:

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

Glad to hear it! I bought one a while back, but never got round to
using it. Maybe that should be this tear's challenge for me - curved
blocks!

I saw that Freudian slip - but perhaps with the Curvemaster, there won't be
need for tears VBG
Cheers for now
Tutu

Rrrriippit! Rrrriippit! Rrrriippit! Sob! Sob!

Hope not!

Old January 18th 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks Tutu for the great review. I will definately consider it when I'm
thinking of a curve quilt. So many projects so little time!

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

http://photos.yahoo.com/ceridwen_rhea

Old January 18th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks you Tutu!! Just yesterday my friend and I were talking
about using the Curvemaster sets we'd both purchased some time
ago. So, I have sent your report on to her. This should encourage
us to get going!
PAT

Tutu Haynes-Smart wrote:

I know that I always like to read reports on gimmicks and got-to-haves, and
those that aren't worth getting.

NAYY with Curvemaster - but I have had a good experience with them.

....cut...
Old January 18th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ah ha! My dear GF gave me a Curvemaster for a Kissmoose gift. Now that
you've tested the waters for us all, I promise to dip my toes in too.

I need to make a baby quilt for a baby due in August. Drunkard's Path
probably isn't a great pattern for a baby, but Country Cousin, Crooked
Path, Endless Trail, or Solomon's Puzzle might be ok ;-)

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq

Tutu Haynes-Smart wrote:
[...]

OT sad... got the coroner's report for my brother Marijke Quilting 24 August 25th 05 10:01 AM
who do I report abuse to SNIGDIBBLY Quilting 20 April 25th 05 02:33 PM
equipment MJ Pottery 8 January 29th 05 08:16 PM
stone shaping equipment raane Jewelry 12 January 24th 05 03:36 PM
[ADVERT] Jewelry Tools and Equipment AJS Jewelry 0 November 4th 03 03:52 AM