Question on The Drawn Thread "The Sanctuary" and diff. counts background

Old February 24th 04, 01:06 AM
Mmeindia

Default Question on The Drawn Thread "The Sanctuary" and diff. counts background

I just got the chart for "The Sanctuary" and am having trouble finding
background material for it-- all of the local shops are out of Lambswool.
After googling the subject and seeing that several of you were planning to do
it on Clay, I ordered that from Silkweaver.com.

My package came today and I don't like the Clay at all. However, I also got a
large piece of hand-dyed linen for the fabric-of-the-month club that is a
limited edition (no name given) that, IMO, is the perfect background color for
this piece. Unfortunately, it is 28 count, where the model is done on 32
count.

For those of you that have done or at least started this piece, do you think it
would ruin the effect to do it on a higher count? And I don't understand yet
how to convert between counts, so I am wondering if this 18 x 18 piece of 28
count will substitute for the 15 by 18 piece of 32 count (the actual stitching
area is something like 10 x 13).

Many thanks for any suggestions,

India

WIPS: Leisure Arts American Sampler
Blackwork Cushion
Needlepoint Patchwork Quilt canvas

Old February 24th 04, 01:19 AM
Farleyaw

I did this piece several years ago. It turned out just beautifully and now
hangs in my living room. I did it on 28 count linen - a very light shade of
ivory. Lambswool is close. As far as fabric colors to use - I don't think
I've ever, in all the years I've stitched, used the recommended linen color.
Use what YOU like. If you have trouble envisioning how things will end up
looking, pull out all the colors the chart calls for and lay them across
different pieces of linen. You'll find something you like. In my case, I
changed a few colors and stitches here and there to suit my liking.

Anne

Old February 24th 04, 01:42 AM
fran

If going from 32-count to 28 count, you will need to increase the size
of the fabric by about 15% each way as you will have fewer stitches
per inch.

Here's one way to convert from one thread count to another:

Most charts give you the size of the pattern in # of stitches per
side.

Take each of the two #'s and divide by the number of stitches per inch
on the fabric (28 count = 14 stitches). This is the number of inches
the pattern covers.

Then add 6 (3 inches per side). That is the minimum size of material
you will need in inches. I actually add 8 becuase I find it is easier
to do elaborate mats and framing if I have that extra inch on each
size.

Old February 24th 04, 05:19 AM
Meredith

From the other post, a 32-ct stitched size of 10"x13" would convert to
11.4"x14.9". That would give you only 3" for finishing, which may or
may not be enough, depending on how you do it and possibly what your
framer's comfortable with.

Kathy Dyer has a fabric size calculator on her site here
http://users.rcn.com/kdyer.dnai/project_size.html - for future reference.

Meredith

Old February 24th 04, 03:41 PM
Mmeindia

Thanks to all for the suggestions-- I think I will check with my framer and see
if 3 inches is enough excess. If so I'm going to go ahead and do it on the
piece with the color I like. I was comfortable with switching the color on my
own but wasn't sure if the 28 count would spoil the effect of the piece or not.

Darla, thanks so much for the link to your pictures. Your work is beautiful--
the Russian Sampler is one of the most gorgeous pieces I've ever seen-- and
you're inspiring me to start The Sanctuary, which is a little intimidating but
I know I'm going to love it.

India

WIPS:

1. Leisure Arts American Sampler (about to become a finished object!)
2. Blackwork cushion
3. Patchwork needlepoint painted canvas