Rug tapestries

Old January 29th 04, 01:42 PM
BDS2pds

Default Rug tapestries

Rugs were made as well, though the fact that they exist in good to excellent
condition shows that they were NOT to be walked on, but admired, at least from
the edges!
I found this while researching this morning on white-works.com and I surely do
agree and also the rest of you who have worked on rugs! They take forever and
no one walks on mine either. In fact, one of the smaller ones is kitty corner
placed on top of a table at the moment !
Old January 29th 04, 02:03 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: (BDS2pds)

Rugs were made as well, though the fact that they exist in good to excellent
condition shows that they were NOT to be walked on, but admired, at least
from
the edges! .......

I have missed this entire thread -- this is the first post to show up thanks
to AOHell -- LOL! I even looked at Google and couldn't find it -- went back 4
whole days too!
Are you talking about needlepoint rugs? My DSis was married to an Iranian
man and lived in Iran for 3 three years. When she finally managed to get out
of the country and come back home, she brought some really beautiful Persian
rugs -- and some stories about them.
As we all know, those rugs *are* made to be used. DSis said that a lot of
the rug makers would finish a rug and toss it out on the street for people to
walk on because that would tighten up the little strands of fibers that had
been hand tied to the base! She also said that the people would toss one rug
over top of another so that they would all get walked on!
I have a very beautiful hand tied rug from China -- ALL SILK, absolutely
breathtaking and about 30" x 50"! It does NOT get used and is displayed,
hanging on my wall. It had been on display in one of the import shops in
Hawaii and the sun had bleached the navy blue border on the top and one side.
But it was a very subtle, shaded change in color almost as if it had been done
on purpose. CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old January 29th 04, 02:58 PM
Bungadora

Through the years she has hauled it out occasionally and
scrubbed it with light soapy water and rinsed well with the hose.
She does it when the weather looks set for good for a few days and
leaves it there to dry, propped up in odd spots with old wooden crates
so the air can get underneath.

The part that shows maximum wear is the fringing, I believe she did
replace that at one point. The colours have mellowed somewhat but it
is still as glorious, if not better, than the day it went down. She
says the very best Persian wool is the key, no cheapy stuff. I
believe it has been down since the early 60's.

I think this is another one of those questions in which the debate is whether
projects are made for the lifetime of the maker, or for posterity. I'm happy
with just my lifetime.

I recall reading about the blocking and cleaning of tapestry rugs, and like
your aunt's method much better. Much less labor intensive.

I've heard that the canvas is more likely to wear than the wool itself. An
antiques dealer told me once that the worst thing you can do is vacuum them
with a machine with a beater.

I've often considered doing a rug, but have never made the plunge. It is a big
project, in both time and materials required, and I try to keep those down to
one at a time. (My current big project is a counterpane, which I have worked on
for about 4 years.)

Dora

Old January 29th 04, 06:23 PM
Bungadora

This is where a group of stitching slaves tucked away in the basement would
come in handy. Given my output in the last 20 years or so, I would consider
myself fortunate if I managed to complete one such project in my lifetime.
However, as you say, it would be possible to finish a small piece with a little
concentration. And there are people who stitch away with abandon and churn out
households of them. So much to do, so little time ...

That is exactly her point, she made it because she could not afford to
buy it made and she wishes to enjoy the fruits of her labours. She
could have kept it safe but knowing her DIL I doubt very much that
when it came to her she would have set much store by it!

There has always been a strong argument as to whether the back should
have jute covering it or not. The yes people say it protects, the no
people say it serves to hold all the usual grit etc. in close,
abrasive contact with the canvas - just what you do not want. Her's
is not backed.

I decided to do a bedside rug. I spent a weekend with Anna Pearson
and she worked out a nice little design for me and I got started. I
did half that winter because I wanted to be absolutely sure I had
enough of the wool to finish it so working to the half way point was a
guarantee. I hate myself, that was six years ago! So stupid, one
winter could easily see it finished.

Sheena

Old January 29th 04, 06:54 PM
FKBABB

They take forever and
no one walks on mine either. BRBR

It's not the size of the project that puts me off rugs. It's the cost of
materials. Rug canvas is large scale. A pattern 180 x 240 stitches makes a 3'
x 4' rug when done on 5-mesh rug canvas or a 10 x 13 pillow when done on an 18
count ground. Same amount of effort, but a huge difference in the cost of the
wool. A rug that size would easily require $400 or more worth of good quality
rug wool. For the same price these days (and sometimes far less) one can get a
good quality hand-knotted, pure wool, vegetable-dyed rug (there's a glut on the
market).

Annie

Old January 29th 04, 09:42 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Well, I got a "hand knotted" small wool rug in colors to match (finally)
and it is slowly coming apart stitch by stitch. It was from China.
Granted it was so cheap I couldn't believe the price, but it matched and
I let my emotions sway me.

Too bad I didn't see last night's "60 Minutes II" prior to that
purchase. argh! (All the counterfeit and cheap merchandise coming out
of China).

Dianne