Ut Oh, I showed mom-in-law my grandmothers screens

Old January 9th 04, 06:12 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Default Ut Oh, I showed mom-in-law my grandmothers screens

Hi Gang

Don't know if you remember when horsehair came up as an alternative
for floss.
But I had mentioned about my grandmother using horsehair to make
scrolls on the edges of her window screens.
My new Mother-in-law was looking through some picture books and even
though she is as blind as a bat, she spotted this instantly.
Now she wants something similar, fortunately, only on the screen door,
not the whole house.

I am thinking of using a goldish bronze monofilament to do this for
her.
Unless someone has something else in mind that might hold up longer or
look better, I'll go with the monofilament. I cannot get horsehair
anymore!
This is an outside screen door!

TTUL
Gary

Old January 9th 04, 09:12 PM
FKBABB

Unless someone has something else in mind that might hold up longer or
look better, I'll go with the monofilament. I cannot get horsehair
anymore!

How about human hair? It has the same long-lasting properties as horse hair.
You should be able to find it from wig material suppliers.

HTH, Annie

Old January 10th 04, 12:56 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Annie

I never thought about using human hair, great idea!

And I even know where I can get enough long tresses to complete this
project for free, which is even better yet.

Thanks a million!

I'll take a pix of the door when I'm done, shouldn't take too long.

TTUL
Gary

Old January 10th 04, 01:00 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Paula

Also file away cross-stitch!

Butterfly or lady bug to cover a hole or small tear in the screen.

Semi-circle, for the area around the screen handle, especially on
sliding glass door screens.

Monogram in center of screens, just outlined or you'll be forever
doing them.

And of course, the little scroll pattern corners, which are the
absolute coolest decoration one can do to a set of window screens.

TTUL
Gary

Old January 10th 04, 03:45 PM
Andrea

Oh dear, I now picture hundreds of us with our screen doors in our
laps. What a neat idea, though. I am picturing our last name spelled
lengthwise down each side. hmmmmm As if I didn't get enough ideas
on my own....sigh.
Andrea
Old January 13th 04, 03:27 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Debra

I have used monofilament before, the kind manufactured for fishing
lines seems to hold up quite well, but the nylon mono blends used in
quilting etc. the sun deteriorates really quickly.

When I did some repair work on my grandmothers front door, and also on
my mom's patio door, I used really fine copper wire, unwound from
small transformers and it worked really really great.

TTUL
Gary

Debra verbositized:

On 10 Jan 2004 07:56:35 EST, am
(Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote:

Hi Annie

I never thought about using human hair, great idea!

And I even know where I can get enough long tresses to complete this
project for free, which is even better yet.

Thanks a million!

I'll take a pix of the door when I'm done, shouldn't take too long.

TTUL
Gary

Glad to read that you are going to stitch with human hair instead of
monofilament. Sunlight, cold, and heat really degrade plastic. I
don't think the monofilament would last more than a year or two
without becoming very brittle and breaking.
Debra in VA