"Formal" quilts

Old January 8th 05, 08:45 PM
Jeri Jo A. Redman

Default "Formal" quilts

Sounds like she may be thinking Crazy Quilt. They can be quite elegant.

Whoohoo!
Dreamweaver

"WhansaMi" wrote in message
A mostly lurker seeking advice:

I'm trying to get a headstart on my Christmas gifts this year. So, I

called my
sister, and asked her what colors she'd like for a quilt. She told me the
colors (reds, burgandy, golds, maybe a touch of sage/green) and said she'd
redone her bedroom so that it was rather formal. I suggested, then, that

quilt might not be the best thing, then, because most of the quilts I

think of
aren't particularly formal. She said she wanted one, though.

So.... does anyone have a suggestion for a more "formal" quilt, then? I'm
thinking perhaps a bargello? She suggested using velvets or suede... but

don't think she realizes how expensive that would be, not to mention that

I've
never worked with either of those fabrics.

Suggestions, anyone?

Sheila

Old January 8th 05, 08:46 PM
Sharon Harper

Hmmm perhaps go back to basics and use one of the "simple" blocks which when
repeated often enough create a stunning effect - even the good ol' HST when
you arrange it right gives diamond effect, or one of the stars. The formal
effect you would get by using say 3 colours and rather than using lots of
different fabrics in those colours, use just the one fabric in each colour.

If she wants velvet or suede - compromise - you quilt it if she buys it.

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

Old January 8th 05, 09:34 PM
Patti

Hullo Sheila
Those colours will make it more formal than brights and pastels, just by
themselves. You might also try using self coloured fabrics - not
necessarily solids/plains, but those whose patter/print is the same or
similar colour; also all of the various mottled/marbled designs.
Multi-coloured fabrics would be informal, in my opinion.
Burgundy and gold are wonderful together. A greyish green would be a
lovely contrast. You might need to be careful with any red with the
burgundy - it'll need to be on the blue side of the red spectrum I
think.
..
In article , WhansaMi
writes
A mostly lurker seeking advice:

I'm trying to get a headstart on my Christmas gifts this year. So, I called my
sister, and asked her what colors she'd like for a quilt. She told me the
colors (reds, burgandy, golds, maybe a touch of sage/green) and said she'd
redone her bedroom so that it was rather formal. I suggested, then, that a
quilt might not be the best thing, then, because most of the quilts I think of
aren't particularly formal. She said she wanted one, though.

So.... does anyone have a suggestion for a more "formal" quilt, then? I'm
thinking perhaps a bargello? She suggested using velvets or suede... but I
don't think she realizes how expensive that would be, not to mention that I've
never worked with either of those fabrics.

Suggestions, anyone?

Sheila

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 8th 05, 10:58 PM
Kate Dicey

WhansaMi wrote:

A mostly lurker seeking advice:

I'm trying to get a headstart on my Christmas gifts this year. So, I called my
sister, and asked her what colors she'd like for a quilt. She told me the
colors (reds, burgandy, golds, maybe a touch of sage/green) and said she'd
redone her bedroom so that it was rather formal. I suggested, then, that a
quilt might not be the best thing, then, because most of the quilts I think of
aren't particularly formal. She said she wanted one, though.

So.... does anyone have a suggestion for a more "formal" quilt, then? I'm
thinking perhaps a bargello? She suggested using velvets or suede... but I
don't think she realizes how expensive that would be, not to mention that I've
never worked with either of those fabrics.

Suggestions, anyone?

Sheila

The colours sound rich... Why not use prints with gold on them, and
make nice formal blocks? I need to do something much the same for
Little Sis. It'll be a fun thing.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 8th 05, 11:16 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Patti wrote:

Hullo Sheila
Those colours will make it more formal than brights and pastels, just by
themselves. You might also try using self coloured fabrics - not
necessarily solids/plains, but those whose patter/print is the same or
similar colour; also all of the various mottled/marbled designs.
Multi-coloured fabrics would be informal, in my opinion.
Burgundy and gold are wonderful together. A greyish green would be a
lovely contrast. You might need to be careful with any red with the
burgundy - it'll need to be on the blue side of the red spectrum I
think.

Ooooh, Pat, I can see it in my mind, and it's gorgeous the way you
describe it! g You're right about the tone-on-tones, too -- they will
definitely give a more formal flavor to the quilt Sheila wants to make.

.
In article , WhansaMi
writes
[...]

Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old January 9th 05, 04:24 AM
Mary in Rock Island IL

Beyond the good suggestions you have gotten for colors, I also think a
"formal" quilt might not have very detailed blocks (those with
thousands of pieces). My other guess is that she wants something with
a planned (and probably limited) color scheme rather than something
scrappy.
Good luck and please let us know what this turns out to be.

Mary
Old January 9th 05, 09:50 AM
Pati Cook

Or some of the border prints used wisely can be very elegant and
formal......... think of some of Jenny Beyer's stuff.

I sometimes think that medallion quilts seem a little more formal too.
Plus being relatively easy to do. Make a large center block then add
borders.

Pati, in Phx

Old January 9th 05, 11:02 AM
Roberta Zollner

Have a look at some of the Amish quilts. If you could do simple wide
vertical stripes in those deep colors, then some gorgeous quilting, it would
have a very formal feel.

I'd generally avoid velvet and suede -don't wash as easily, and they are
both bears to work with, especially if you plan to piece them.
Roberta in D

Old January 9th 05, 12:41 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Absolutely right on, Patti! I can see the quilt already, in a star pattern,
might have to tackle that one myself, LOL.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old January 9th 05, 02:24 PM
WhansaMi

Ohhh... the medallion quilts might be interesting. Are they hard? I'm at the
"confident beginner" stage, I think. :-)

I was thinking maybe about a Stack and Whack kaleidoscope pinwheel... with a
tone-on-tone burgandy background and the pinwheels a burgandy, green and
metallic gold floral? What do you guys think about that?

Sheila