"Formal" quilts

Old January 9th 05, 05:25 PM
Julia in MN

I think that sounds nice. I think my Christmas Stack'n'whack is more
formal than most of my quilts. The background is black on dark green,
and I think that makes it look a bit more formal.
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/...tackNWhack.JPG
The print you select for your kaleidoscopes also will help to determine
the formality. Just remember that to get the stack'n'whack effect you
need a certain amount of contrast and a fairly large print.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old January 9th 05, 06:01 PM
WhansaMi

I think that sounds nice. I think my Christmas Stack'n'whack is more
formal than most of my quilts. The background is black on dark green,
and I think that makes it look a bit more formal.
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/...tackNWhack.JPG
The print you select for your kaleidoscopes also will help to determine
the formality. Just remember that to get the stack'n'whack effect you
need a certain amount of contrast and a fairly large print.

Julia in MN

Your Christmas Stack and Whack is lovely. Jinny Beyers' studio is about 15
minutes from me, and she has some really rich florals, as I remember. If I had
a burgandy tone-on-tone and the floral was primarily golds with some burgandy
and sage accents, that might be nice.

There is also a class at G-Street of a pinwheel kaleidoscope technique. I
spoke to the instructor this morning, and she said it was similar to Stack and
Whack, only a bit different in that Stack and Whack gives you medallions and
this techniques gives you squares. I am not experienced enough to really know
the difference... maybe some of you know what she means?

Sheila
Old January 11th 05, 12:28 PM
Valerie in FL

Jinny Beyers' border fabrics are the most intricate and formal I've seen,
and she has patterns that use them beautifully. I would consider taking one
of her patterns and use it as a square medallion block on the quilt, extend
the sides and top with a single fabric to the lengths needed, and use gold
metallic thread to stitch a diamond grid pattern over the pillows, the
bottom, and sides, and quilt in the ditch in the center square medallion.

Of course, her patterns are not the easiest, being suited more to hand
piecing, but it could give you an idea. You could also take a complex
traditional block, use one of her borders as I've suggested above, and gain
the same effect much simpler. That way you'd actually only be making one big
block, which I've always thought looked elegant.

Her borders from the Millenium, Devonshire, and Symphony collections that
would meet your color requirements. You can check them out on her site he
http://www.jinnybeyer.com/fabrics.cf...d-e0e443131057

or just go to jinnybeyer.com and click on fabrics, then on available border
prints.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

Old January 21st 05, 10:59 AM
Carol Schwaderer Dickinson

she'd
redone her bedroom so that it was rather formal. I suggested, then, that a
quilt might not be the best thing, then, because most of the quilts I think of
aren't particularly formal.

Well I'm coming in late but the thing I immediately thought of that
nobody mentioned, was avoid the "country" look. That may be what others
were saying when they suggested Ginny Beyer fabrics which are less
"country". I don't think big pieces would make it formal. I think the
effect would be "modern". I immediately pictures all those solid fabric
one block quilts so trendy in the late 60's when quilting was out of
style.

I've seen some wonderful formal rooms with traditional quilt tops like
9 patch or storm at sea. The fabrics do make all the difference.

Carol