OT - my first earthquake

Old April 25th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Default OT - my first earthquake

Kay,

I hope you keep those earthquakes down in Nevada, we don't want them up here
in Idaho! Although quite a few people in Idaho felt the one in Wells in
March. Looks like they got one a few hours before yours this afternoon.

Donna in (SW) Idaho

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
Sitting at the computer in my classroom after school. Thought the waste
management people just dropped the dumpster -- a loud boom and the
building shook. Then the walls started to sway back and forth. My knees
were like jelly for a couple of hours.

I was in Cincinnati during the 1968 earthquake but never felt anything.

--
Kay Ahr in Reno/Sparks NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr

Old April 25th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I have a teacher/earthquake for you Kay. DD was in 5th grade and they
had a student teacher. She was near the end of her stint with the
class. There was a fair sized earthquake and they were in a portable.
All the kids were ok but the student teacher ran around in a panic and
dropped a few cuss word bombs. Student teacher failed.

I have lived all but about 14 months of my 50 years in CA. An
earthquake can be kind of exciting when you know you are somewhere safe
and you don't own a house. The problem is not knowing how long they
will go on. The Big Bear/Landers quake was pretty close to us. The first
was pretty strong and we were almost back to sleep when the second one
came. That one you could hear coming like a freight train. That was
the scarriest part of any earthquake I have ever experienced.
Knees like jelly sounds like a pretty reasonable response.
Hugs, Taria

Old April 25th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

There was an earthquake today? I'd better watch the news!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old April 25th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Get thyself down to the hardware store and buy those Bed Seatbelts. Can't
find them there--tell them to call a hardware store in southern CA--they'll
be happy to send one to you.

Butterfly (still have ours packed away. Sure glad and relieved you are ok.
Shaky legs and watery knees are better than injury)

Old April 25th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Kay Ahr" wrote:

Sitting at the computer in my classroom after school. Thought the waste
management people just dropped the dumpster -- a loud boom and the building
shook. Then the walls started to sway back and forth. My knees were like
jelly for a couple of hours.

I was in Cincinnati during the 1968 earthquake but never felt anything.

Oh my, Kay! I'm glad you're okay, other than the jelly knees. My first
(and only) earthquake was just a few months after we moved here, but it
wasn't as severe as yours.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old April 25th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

Now that got me to laughin'!

They've been having these little earthquakes almost daily just west of
downtown Reno. They measure in the 2's or maybe 3's. Two today were in the
4's. Those two were felt north and south of the city. I guess my school is
about 12 miles as the crow flies from where the earthquakes have been
occurring. I only live about 10-15 minutes away, but I wasn't at home for
these this afternoon.

I remember my first tornado in Cincinnati. Few kids were in the school
because we were having parent conferences. The tornado went up to the side
of the school, around the building, and zoomed off the other side of the
playground. No damage to the school but it leveled two houses in the
subdivision. That was in 1974. It was Hilltop School (appropriately named)
in Reading. My task during tornado drills after that was to go up on the
roof and watch for tornadoes in the Millcreek Valley.

Too bad there can't be earthquake watches. I felt like I was on a boat and
needed to get my sea legs.

--
Kay Ahr in NV

Old April 25th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

I didn't hear about another one in Wells today. Looks like northern Nevada
is just unstable right now.

I remember a 7-Up commercial a few years ago. It showed a basketball star
"on the beach" in Nevada after an imaginary "big one" in California. That
commercial doesn't seem so funny now.

--
Kay Ahr in NV

Old April 27th 08, 08:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
melinda[_2_]

Sandy wrote:
In article ,
"Kay Ahr" wrote:

Sitting at the computer in my classroom after school. Thought the waste
management people just dropped the dumpster -- a loud boom and the building
shook. Then the walls started to sway back and forth. My knees were like
jelly for a couple of hours.

I was in Cincinnati during the 1968 earthquake but never felt anything.

Oh my, Kay! I'm glad you're okay, other than the jelly knees. My first
(and only) earthquake was just a few months after we moved here, but it
wasn't as severe as yours.

I've been through 2 earthquakes, the first being the worst about 5.5.
(Google "Newcastle earthquake 1989" to find out what happened.)

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old April 27th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

"melinda" wrote in message
Sandy wrote:
In article ,
"Kay Ahr" wrote:

Sitting at the computer in my classroom after school. Thought the
waste
management people just dropped the dumpster -- a loud boom and the
building
shook. Then the walls started to sway back and forth. My knees were
like
jelly for a couple of hours.

I was in Cincinnati during the 1968 earthquake but never felt anything.

Oh my, Kay! I'm glad you're okay, other than the jelly knees. My first
(and only) earthquake was just a few months after we moved here, but it
wasn't as severe as yours.

I've been through 2 earthquakes, the first being the worst about 5.5.
(Google "Newcastle earthquake 1989" to find out what happened.)

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

I Googled. Newcastle was not an area where earthquakes would have been
thought of. Kind of like where I used to live in Cincinnati, I suppose.
"Luckily" for me, Nevada is the third most seismically-active US state
behind California and Alaska. So the Reno area has been prepared for years.
In one school where I taught here, there were even instructions for
earthquake drills. Duck, cover, and hold on is pretty much the procedure.

It's all still new to me. I don't like anything waking me up just before
midnight. Back in September it was 2:00 AM when the noise in the park woke
me up soon enough to see some kid fire two shots. I didn't like being
awakened then either. Gangs and earthquakes -- two things I've never
encountered before.

--
Kay Ahr in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr
to respond to me directly, remove "WESTHI" from the email address

O.T. Earthquake in NZ Debbi in SO CA Quilting 3 December 20th 07 08:45 PM
OT -- about the earthquake in Hawaii Anne in CA Quilting 2 October 16th 06 06:54 AM
Earthquake in CA AliceW Quilting 2 December 23rd 03 08:04 PM
OT now a little earthquake Taria Quilting 5 November 5th 03 03:37 PM
OT earthquake Dr. Sooz Beads 45 September 19th 03 04:57 AM