Harry Potter III - No spoilers

Old June 5th 04, 05:50 AM
Karen_AZ

Default Harry Potter III - No spoilers

We're going to the Monday matinee. Can't wait!!!!

Funny, it's not a school night here anymore (kids got out the 26th) but I
have a MAJOR aversion to crowds, even if many of them are only elbow high.

We're going to be listening to book 5 on tape on our road trip next month.
THAT will be fun, too.

KarenK

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
We just walked in the door from seeing the 10:00 p.m. show at our teeny

local
theatre. DD, her friend and I all loved it, Bob was "meh." I think that

for
this movie, you really need to have read the book in order for it to make
sense of all the twists and turns. The whole mobius strip way of handling
time was utterly amazing.

We were dying to go to the midnight showing last night, but sadly, the
Responsible Parent (tm) in me remembered that it's a school night and that
someone I know had an English test on Friday. Of course, last night was a
sleepless Prednisone night, so I got so sit up and feel bad for myself
instead of going to the movie. So, I wrote stories instead. :-)

I have a lot more to say, but until the rest of the group has had a chance

see the movie, I'll keep my spoilers to myself. :-)

Kathy N-V

Obligatory Bead Reference: Hermione's necklace was nothing like I had
pictured. I had a mental picture of a teeny little hourglass and almost
shouted aloud when it was something completely different. Now I need to

make
myself a time-shifting necklace.

Old June 5th 04, 06:12 AM
JL Paules

Next weekend for us - this weekend is Shrek 2.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old June 5th 04, 07:02 AM
Dr. Sooz

- this weekend is Shrek 2.

YAY! Us too (for the 2nd time)!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old June 5th 04, 08:01 AM
Candace

That is total bull****, Kathy. I would make a phone call or two.

snippity
I hope that the Assistant Manager at the theatre doesn't recognise me
tomorrow. We had a bit of a tussle over my purse tonight - she wanted to
root through my purse to make sure I wasn't bringing in "outside food," and I

told her to shove off. Then she told me that "all purses need to be searched

for security purposes." (larf.)

I offered to let her refund my money and I'd go elsewhere, but no way was I
allowing her to search my purse. Not that there's anything in it - inhalers
and a wallet, but I just didn't want her looking through my stuff for no
particular reason. She didn't look through anyone else's purse, nor did she
ask to see what was in people's pockets. My purse is very small, so even the

idea of "outside food" was rather unlikely.

She relented, but the whole encounter was rather disturbing. I've never had
anywhere near that kind of hassle getting on an airplane, much less going to
a movie. If we didn't have a whole slew of prepaid tickets, I would go to
another theatre. I might do that anyway - I'd rather pay the $10 than get in

another tug-o-war with my purse.

Kathy N-V

~Candace~
Orphan Beads Low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Old June 5th 04, 08:01 AM
Kandice Seeber

Just got home from Harry Potter.....
Loved it, loved it, loved it. loved it. Have to see it again at least a
couple more times. Have to read the books again.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old June 5th 04, 01:00 PM
JL Paules

Got that right! I'll be damned if I'd let some assistant manager at a movie
look thru my person! I'd be on the phone in a heartbeat! That almost sounds
like some sort of a discrimination lawsuit in the makings.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Old June 5th 04, 09:26 PM
Christina Peterson

I'm of two minds about the Harry Potter movies.

The books are classics. It wouldn't surprise me if they would continue to
be read for 100 years. But the movies are just reasonably good Disney-like
kids movies. And they are good enough to enjoy watching from the point of
view.

But to me the movies are VERY different from the books. The content is
different in the amount of content. A page of script per minute of film
means that there are only a hundred pages or so. A third or less of the
book.

But worse than having lost content, is that the movie has lost the intent.
This is not a story about 3 attractive kids. It's a story about 3 children
who look out of place, who are loners and outcasts and lack attractiveness,
who are always being looked askance. Ron is a dork. Hermione is a nerd.
Harry doesn't know the basics of the society as either a wizard or a muggle.
And since it's a story about overcoming these problems and coming of age,
the cute well adjusted kids make it a completely different story -- and one
that's a dime a dozen.

Tina

Old June 5th 04, 09:56 PM
Diana Curtis

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the movies. I have read the books
and watched the movies and while I felt they were visually amazing they
didnt capture the flavor of the books. I wasnt able to put my finger on what
was wrong but I think you have. The makers of the movies didnt take any
chances, they didnt risk the tough emotions that the books held. Its to bad.
They could have been fantastic movies and as they are they are just plain
fun, good entertainment, nothing terribly special kinds.
Diana

Old June 5th 04, 11:39 PM
Marisa Cappetta

It starts on the 10th here, we can hardly wait!

--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
http://www.galleryvittoria.com

Old June 6th 04, 05:46 PM
Louis Cage

I think the problem is the difference in the media. As you know, the books
are getting longer and longer, but the movies aren't. Rowling started out
by mixing Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys with magic and a dash of Dickens, this is a
great formula. Every kid wants to be a hero, every kid feels alone and
misunderstood (if not outright mistreated) at some time, and every kid likes
magic. What has made the books work, is her ability to add a real story to
this mix.
Face it, Charles Dickens wrote entire books about people in HP's (and
friends) situation, and he didn't even use magic. And some good films have
been made from them. But to dwell on that would turn it from a HP movie to
a pseudo-Dickens movie. Yes, HP is kind of a "teacher's pet" in the movies,
but there is some of that in the books as well. How could you save the
school and defeat the most powerful evil force around (which the highly
trained adults were unable to do) twice in your first two years, and not be?
As far as the look of the actors is concerned, how many times have you
been to a movie and a character supposed to be plain or even homely but the
actor is pretty much a hottie? After all, in LOTR Aragorn is described as
being foul to look at. From what I gather from the ladies, Viggo does not
look foul at all.
I will grant you the movies are mostly fluff and "good clean fun" and they
could be improved. But in today's marketplace, I find it hard to believe a
"children's" film could contain much more depth. Hell, "adult" films with
much depth don't do that well either. While it is true the books have sold
very well, readers are more willing to take in that kind of information that
moviegoers (after all they are a lot like Hermione). I am just glad there
was some lag time from when the books came out and the movies started being
made. Maybe some people read them that would have waited for the movie
otherwise.
As an aside, I would like to say I like this one better than the other
two and hope they continue making them. I think with the new director, they
are getting more into the depth of the books. And I think they are able to
do that because of the success of the earlier films. The first two were
very "safe" commercially. This one is a bit more risky and if it does
well, maybe they will feel they can take more risks in the future.

--
There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques