My News updates

Old October 16th 03, 03:41 PM
Cher

Default My News updates

Hi all, thought I'd just pop in and update you as to why I am rushing
through the mails of late....trying to be real quick.

Well I've been visiting various special needs colleges in and around the
South West UK for my son Edward, some of you will remember that I have a
slightly autistic son of nearly 19(Dec). His needs aren't too horrific, but
he is incontinent of a night, although this seems to be sorting itself out,
and there are more dry mornings over the last year. Anyhow, a college
term, being residential, this had to be a concern for me. Well yesterday,
a few miles away I've found one that could well do him come Sept 2004, he
stays on at his day school until July, so it is after then.

However they have only a few places left, so I've been getting Doctors
notes, school notes and everything up together, eventually I posted them to
the college today, this will be his first time living away from home, if he
is accepted, and cruel though it sounds I really will be glad to have a
break! Not only that, I am not what he needs now, he needs to build an
independant life. Friends whom he turns to instead of me.....I tend to
spoil him, giving into him, and thoroughly letting him get away with
everything he wants...this is not a good idea, but a bit of peace for
me...lol. All this said, he is a good chap, a very likeable guy, excellent
playstation 2 player, loves people and art work...so lets hope where ever he
goes it will do him the world of good. I am too overprotective, and whilst
this is good for him now, in the long term it is not. I am sure you can all
see where I am coming from?

Anyway fingers crossed for me please, that this college is the place for
him, and he is offered a course with them.

Cheers....Cher

---

Old October 16th 03, 03:58 PM
Ophelia

"Cher" wrote in message
[...]

Absolutely!!! You need to sort this out before you are totally worn out.
He NEEDS to become independent.. you won't be there for him forever and this
is the best thing you can do for him

Anyway fingers crossed for me please, that this college is the place for
him, and he is offered a course with them.

I am crossing everything for you Cher) Good luck

Ophelia

Old October 16th 03, 07:09 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Cher" wrote in message
[...]

Ahh, Cher, fingers, toes, arms and eyes are all crossed for you and
Edward.
Love,
Noreen

---

Old October 16th 03, 07:28 PM
Aud

Cher I think you may need this even more than he does!
To see , for a mother; that your child with a "handicap" can manage ,
if not by his own , so to a certain degree without you, that is reliefing!
(WHAT a sentence, but I am sure you understand what I mean ;-)
I wish you good luck, and send my warmest thoughts to you both,
and hope they are able to take care of him, both pedagogical and social!
AUD ;-))

--

"Cher" skrev i melding

Old October 16th 03, 07:43 PM
Norma

Here's hoping that everything goes according to plan, Cher. I know that you
are doing the right thing for him. Good luck and prayers coming your way.

--
Star love,
Norma

Old October 16th 03, 11:44 PM
Claire

Dear Cher,

I know what you mean- it's so hard to know whether or not you are making the
right choices for them - and you can't find out if you have made the best
decision until they have already begun and maybe aren't happy. We are doing
the same sort of thing with secondary schools for my son too- so I can
sympathize. We've been to one open evening after another, ploughed through
prospectuses and asked everyone we know what their opinions are- complicated
by the fact that the application deadlines are looming AND he's just
finished sitting his 11+ (and THAT was really stressful, probably for me
more than him, I'd have sat it for him if I could!) - so whether or not he
gets into one once we finally choose it is out of our hands. I know yours is
19 whilst mine is only 10 but do you think we will ever stop worrying about
them?

Claire

Old October 17th 03, 04:04 AM
Katherine Burgess

Cher,
He (and you) are added to my list to-pray-for. Keep us posted on the
progress.
Katherine

Old October 17th 03, 04:05 AM
Cori

Dear Cher,

Needing a break doesn't sound cruel at all! It sounds totally normal in the
scheme of things. They grow up they start their own lives and we get to
worry from afar lol!
I wish Edward the best in getting accepted to college.

About the overnight problem.... I had a girl in my girl scout troop that
took a pill everynight for the same thing and it seemed to work for her.
Maybe it would work for your son as well? I'm not sure what they were
called but it saved her from any embarrassment on our campouts and no one
needed to know. I don't mean to stick my nose in where it may not be
wanted/needed but thought I'd suggest it just in case.

Hugs and crossed fingers,
Cori

--
If my address reads spammers r stupid then give me a shout on line.
If my address reads yahoo delete no spam to email me back.

Old October 17th 03, 09:10 AM
Cher

Hi Ophelia, thanks, GP has this morning sent the form off that was needed,
so that is a good thing...

No I won't be there forever, when one of my younger daughters last year
heard I was going to get him a term of at least 3yrs residency at a training
college for special needs, her remarks were..."Oh surely you aren't going to
put him away!" lol, and my reply was, "No, I'm giving him the
opportunity to be independant, if something happens to me Michelle, are YOU
gonna take him on?" Her reply to this was, a shrug and not really, I think
the message drove home...{g).

I am not his playmate although at the moment I am his best friend, I want
this altered, I want him to feel that he would rather be away than home with
me... awful though that sounds, it will one day be for the best for him. I
am fifty three, and totally exhausted mentally, I need to re-couperate too!
No good burning the batteries out completely, and being an invalid for him
to look after...oh heaven forbid....but you all know what I mean, I ain't
getting any younger.

He is a big heavy lad, he sits on my bed after his shower in the morning, I
dress him, not that he can't do it himself, but it is easier for me to do
it, and one leg of his is really heavy, as he shoves it over my lap to put
on his socks. So it is this sort of thing, and sometimes some frustrated
tantrums, he shouts, and bangs, his speech is good, but oh he does get mad
at things sometimes, these episodes are few and far between, and short
lived, but oh so waring when they erupt...

Cheers....Cher