Double needle quilting.....

Old January 3rd 05, 07:16 PM
Leslie in MO

Default Double needle quilting.....

Hi all!

I'm working on a quilt which has a LOT of black satin stitching. I am good
at it- not bragging! ;-) it's taken a good many years of practice--- and
know how to pivot on the curves and I can make sharp points. The next step
is figgering out the quilting. I'm thinking that using a double needle for
the quilting would straddle the satin stitching and would making the
quilting on both sides of the satin stitching go a lot quicker with perfect
parallels. BUT..... how do you pivot or make adjustments? You can't
possibly pivot with two needles down in the fabric. Is there a way to
maneuver the needles and/or quilt sandwich to keep the curves smooth and
the points pointed???

Leslie (Mrs. Collins!!!) and The Furbabies in MO

Old January 3rd 05, 07:35 PM
KJ

But won't using a double needle make the back rather unsightly? The bobbin
thread zig zags back and forth from each needle and wouldn't make a smooth
quilting line on the back.

Old January 3rd 05, 08:24 PM
Kathy Applebaum

IMHO, it would be a lot faster and easier to sew it with a single needle
twice.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old January 3rd 05, 08:46 PM
JS

I tried double needle quilting a few months ago to work on a stained glass
WH. After a few hours I stopped, ripped out my stitches, and did the lines
twice with a single needle. You can't pivot, turning is a pain, and the
back looks awful. I couldn't get my tension adjusted just right, so there
were lots of little dots along with the zig zag on the back. I also felt
that while I was trying to turn corners, the needles looked like they might
break.

Just too messy, IMHO.

Jennifer in Florida

Old January 3rd 05, 09:49 PM
Diane Carter

I used a double needle to quilt a wall hanging and I liked the looks of it
but I would not use double needles to quilt something that you cared how the
back looked. Diane

Old January 3rd 05, 10:10 PM
Patti

Hullo Leslie
I absolutely agree with those who have said that it will be much quicker
and easier to go alongside the satin stitching twice with a single
needle (I actually read replies before adding my own!!).
You already have the chunky satin stitch, the 'cross stitch' type back
would just add to that and also, as was said, it looks unsightly.

You may have noticed that, with a twin needle, one needle is the tiniest
bit shorter than the other. Theoretically it is possible to raise the
needles so that only one remains in the work, and pivot on that. I
reckon that could take quite a long time each time you want to pivot!!
..
In article , Leslie in MO
writes
Hi all!

I'm working on a quilt which has a LOT of black satin stitching. I am good
at it- not bragging! ;-) it's taken a good many years of practice--- and
know how to pivot on the curves and I can make sharp points. The next step
is figgering out the quilting. I'm thinking that using a double needle for
the quilting would straddle the satin stitching and would making the
quilting on both sides of the satin stitching go a lot quicker with perfect
parallels. BUT..... how do you pivot or make adjustments? You can't
possibly pivot with two needles down in the fabric. Is there a way to
maneuver the needles and/or quilt sandwich to keep the curves smooth and
the points pointed???

Leslie (Mrs. Collins!!!) and The Furbabies in MO

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 4th 05, 12:57 AM
Polly Esther

Sort of like Patti, I read all of the replies. Then I had to go back and
read the question, I forgot what the goal was. Yes, Leslie, it is possible
to pivot with twin needles. Naturally, you raise the needles up to almost
out and will want to use the wheel by hand rather than foot to the floor on
the pedal.
Unless the quilt measures something easy like 8" x 10" , I don't think
I'd bother. It would take a very long time, and, I agree, it wouldn't be
very nice-looking on the back. Polly

.

Old January 4th 05, 09:01 AM
Roberta Zollner

You're right, quilting on both sides would be a lovely effect. But IMO just
make 2 passes with free motion. Seems like the double needle would be way
too much trouble. You really could only pivot one side, unless you sewed
across the satin stitching. And the back would probably look a bit cluttered
with zigzag.
If you don't mind the zigzag on the back and a bit of fussy handwork,
though, you could probably stop at every corner, raise the presser foot and
pull out a length of top thread on the outside of the pivot. Turn the corner
carefully so the inside needle comes down right where you left off, and keep
sewing. Then go back and thread all those thread lengths into a hand
quilting needle, one by one, and do some "imitation" machine stitching along
the outside of the pivot.
Roberta in D

Old January 5th 05, 01:45 PM
Maureen Wozniak

You'll get parallel lines on the front but one row of zig zag on the
back. It could be kind of cool, but I can't help you with pivoting.
I've only used a double needle on hems.

Old January 7th 05, 04:22 AM
DrQuilter

when I took the class for the stained glass butterfly quilt I just
finished (http://community.webshots.com/photo/...42378790dWkexr)
I also thought I wanted to use my double needle and the teacher advised
against it because of the many curves the pattern had... she said it
would be hard to make them pivot in paralell...

JS wrote:

I tried double needle quilting a few months ago to work on a stained glass
WH. After a few hours I stopped, ripped out my stitches, and did the lines
twice with a single needle. You can't pivot, turning is a pain, and the
back looks awful. I couldn't get my tension adjusted just right, so there
were lots of little dots along with the zig zag on the back. I also felt
that while I was trying to turn corners, the needles looked like they might
break.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)

Punch Needle Embroidery lula Needlework 48 October 6th 04 03:33 PM
Piggie's Quilting Winter..... Listpig Quilting 9 October 1st 04 12:39 AM
needle threader BDS2pds Needlework 3 July 1st 04 05:04 PM
Great Tapestry Knitting Bags and Knitting Needle Cases Accessories by Bettz Designs Marketplace 0 November 2nd 03 02:58 AM
Need a few hints on hand quilting Ann Quilting 2 July 30th 03 01:19 PM