Thread - Double or not?

Old June 22nd 04, 04:58 AM
Mika

Default Thread - Double or not?

Ok another question for all you hand piecers. Do you use a double thread or
single thread? What is your reasoning behind using single or double? I know
it's a silly question but I'm dumb when it comes to hand piecing. I'm sure
I'll have a bunch more silly ?'s before I get this thing finished. Possibly
even before I get it started. I'm thankful that you all are such a wonderful
group and so willing to share your experience and knowledge. I would really
be lost without you all. I just want you to know that I appreciate you.

Mika

Old June 22nd 04, 05:14 AM
Sharon Harper

I use double thread because (a) it's stronger and (b) I don't have to worry
about the little tailey bit slipping out of the needle all the time. Just
force of habit too really

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

. net...

Old June 22nd 04, 06:27 AM
Jalynne

I use a single thread...but then again, i use the same thread that i use for machine
piecing and quilting...it's a little thicker than regular sewing thread. I make
small stitches, so I know it's secure. I occasionally make doll clothes by hand, and
there's a pair of pants that I made for DD's dolls about three years ago that still
looks brand new, and she plays with it nearly every day.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

. net...

Old June 22nd 04, 11:28 AM
Patti

I rarely hand piece; but, as you may have read in other threads
involving accuracy, I am concerned that folk remember that the seam
*does* have a measurable width. I would think that a doubled thread
would make the fold line even thicker?
I would experiment by sewing two pieces together: one with a single
thread, one with double and see if it makes a difference, in *your*
estimation.
..
In article , Mika
writes
Ok another question for all you hand piecers. Do you use a double thread or
single thread? What is your reasoning behind using single or double? I know
it's a silly question but I'm dumb when it comes to hand piecing. I'm sure
I'll have a bunch more silly ?'s before I get this thing finished. Possibly
even before I get it started. I'm thankful that you all are such a wonderful
group and so willing to share your experience and knowledge. I would really
be lost without you all. I just want you to know that I appreciate you.

Mika

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 22nd 04, 06:47 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Hand-quilting thread, single strand.
Works for making yo-yos, too.
Hand-quilting thread is a bit thicker/heavier than
machine piecing/quilting thread, is strong enough to
survive for years w/ just the single strand;
less tangling and knotting, too,
when using just the one thread.
I use Gütermann (first choice) and Coats&Clark.
Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy
. net...

Old June 23rd 04, 01:25 AM
Pati Cook

I use single thread, take small stitches. Reason for single thread? Fabric is
made with single threads, it blends in better; makes a smaller hole in the
fabric; is less bulky; and there are other reasons that I don't remember from
when I was taught. The only time I ever use doubled thread is sewing on
buttons/hooks and eyes/snaps, and that is because there the amount of thread is
part of what keeps the fastener on, and I actually use a doubled double thread
so I take fewer stitches.

Pati, in Phx...... hand piecing with Mettler silk finish.

Old June 23rd 04, 12:54 PM
Mika

Speaking of thread. I've done a real booboo now and didn't realize it till
it was too late. I noticed something weird about my thread and couldn't
figure out why if felt funky. It kept twisting and knotting up. Well I
looked at the paper on the end of the spool and it was no less than 100%
POLYESTER. Not even 50% cotton 50 % poly but 100% polyester. I was so mad. I
had just bought a bunch of those spools for quilting. Never even looked at
it to see what it was. Luckily they weren't expensive. I guess it pays to
invest in the more expensive stuff and have good quality from the get-go
huh. I was using a double thread too and it was not leaving a bulky seam.
Now I know why.

Mika

Mika wrote:

Ok another question for all you hand piecers. Do you use a double thread

or
single thread? What is your reasoning behind using single or double? I

know
it's a silly question but I'm dumb when it comes to hand piecing. I'm

sure
I'll have a bunch more silly ?'s before I get this thing finished.

Possibly
even before I get it started. I'm thankful that you all are such a

wonderful
group and so willing to share your experience and knowledge. I would

really
be lost without you all. I just want you to know that I appreciate you.

Mika

FS sewing embroidery,crochet,cross stich thread 80% off Great Deals Marketplace 0 January 20th 05 12:58 PM
NEWEmbroidery thread sewing thread for sale with pictures check it out Sewing & Embroidery Deals Marketplace 0 December 10th 04 06:21 PM
rayon thread Roberta Zollner Quilting 0 February 20th 04 11:02 AM
how do I size thread? Jean Peach Needlework 1 July 11th 03 05:30 PM
Xmas ornament pattern Laurie Beads 1 July 6th 03 04:21 PM