OT - taxes ...

Old March 1st 04, 07:04 PM
Julie

Default OT - taxes ...

I am so bummed today. We found out that an expected IRS refund has dwindled
from $1013 down to $112.** ... and because we e-filed and had the return
e-deposited into our account, that $112 had $64 of fees taken out of it [
$64 is a lot less out of $1013 than $112 ;-( ...... had we known what the
correct refund would have been, we would have paper filed ]. Turns out
that that child tax credit check last summer was the problem. We didn't
keep an accurate record of what it was and couldn't find out what it was so
had to take our best guess. There was a website to track that information
but it was always down and we could never get through. Anyways .... now
our dilemma is to figure out how we will pay our money to the state (
Michigan ) as we owe the state $611 ......

Don't know how many of you out there have filed taxes yet, but if you have
kids and you have not, better make 150% sure of what that amount was in your
check last summer before you do .... save yourself the trouble if you do

Julie
--
* remove nospam_ from the email address to reply

Old March 1st 04, 07:32 PM
Jenn Liace

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:04:43 -0500, "Julie"
wrote:

Don't know how many of you out there have filed taxes yet, but if you have
kids and you have not, better make 150% sure of what that amount was in your
check last summer before you do .... save yourself the trouble if you do

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Julie}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
The IRS does have a page on their website where you can find out what
you received for the child credit advance.
http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...111546,00.html
Hope it helps someone!

Jenn L.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Old March 1st 04, 07:38 PM
Julie

This webpage does not work. Or more to the point ( in the interest of
accuracy ), if you can get it to work, then good on you .... It simply would
not work for me.

Julie

Old March 1st 04, 08:11 PM
Rhiannon

What browser are you using and are you accepting cookies? I'm using
Netscape 7.1 and allow cookies from the IRS website (it set two) and
have never had a problem with it at any time of the day.

Brenda

Old March 1st 04, 08:32 PM
Jenn Liace

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:38:52 -0500, "Julie"
wrote:

This webpage does not work. Or more to the point ( in the interest of
accuracy ), if you can get it to work, then good on you .... It simply would
not work for me.

Hmmm, it worked for us. You do need to use the "primary taxpayer"s
social security number, in most cases the husband. The first time I
tried it, I used my own and it went bellyup.

Jenn L.
Old March 1st 04, 08:46 PM
Julie

I don't remember the answers to these questions, sorry .... at any rate, the
refund isn't what we had hoped so I am just hoping by raising the issue,
that others will get theirs right before submitting it. I wanted to try to
save some heartburn out there ;-) ..... Julie

Old March 2nd 04, 02:00 PM
Caryn

We found out that an expected IRS refund has dwindled
from $1013 down to $112.** ... and because we e-filed and had the return
e-deposited into our account, that $112 had $64 of fees taken out of it [
$64 is a lot less out of $1013 than $112 ;-( ...... had we known what the
correct refund would have been, we would have paper filed ]. Turns out
that that child tax credit check last summer was the problem. We didn't
keep an accurate record of what it was and couldn't find out what it was so
had to take our best guess.

Turns out that the IRS website to check out this credit is WRONG!!!

TurboTax checked with the IRS, as did I eventually, and the IRS said we did NOT
get the child tax credit last summer. But we did, and had TurboTax just asked
us as part of all the other questions you answer I'd have said YES we got it.
So we saw our anticipated refund go down by the $1200 when the IRS got a hold
of it.

Part of IRS knew we'd recieved it, but the part that set up the website to
check didn't!

Brilliant!

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old March 2nd 04, 02:01 PM
Caryn

This webpage does not work. Or more to the point ( in the interest of
accuracy ), if you can get it to work, then good on you .... It simply would
not work for me.

Hmmm, it worked for us. You do need to use the "primary taxpayer"s
social security number, in most cases the husband. The first time I
tried it, I used my own and it went bellyup.

Jenn L.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Current projects:
Firehouse Angel (aka Angel of the Morning - L&L)
Lady Scarlet's Journey (Just Nan)
Just Nan Round Robin - currently Silver Needle
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)

This is the website I mentioned in my other post, the one with incorrect
information!

Old March 2nd 04, 09:11 PM
Caryn

After an inaccuracy with TurboTax last year resulted in a penalty for
us (on top of the 4K we had to pay), I tried to contact them, since it
WAS demonstrably a Turbo Tax error. They never responded in any way.

Well, you have to do an end run! you have to call their Quicken Customer
Service number to get transferred to the Turbotax number. They don't actually
list a free customer service number on their website, only the $20 one!

Course, then you spend 1/2 hr on hold, get told they can't find any record of
your order, and tell you to fax your receipts and a detailed letter with your
problem on it to a number that isn't actually a fax machine!

So then you get to call again, get to wait on hold again and get another fax
number, which apparently works, but nobody bothers to either call you or email
you!

I plan to call again tomorrow.....sigh