How Do I Fix My Watch Battery?

Old October 6th 03, 04:33 AM
Stephanie

Default How Do I Fix My Watch Battery?

Hi, I am a do-it-yourselfer type person, and I refuse to pay a jewelry store
$15 to change my watch battery for waht is basically a really simple task. I
have a cheap watch, bought at Wal-Mart for $20, similar to an LA Gear watch.

Can anyone tell me:

How do I get the back of my watch off, so I can access the battery? Will
razor blade work? Or is there a special tool needed? Where can I buy this
tool?

Where is the least expensive place to buy a watch battery? Wal-Mart?

Thanks,

Stephanie

Old October 7th 03, 04:46 AM
NE333RO

How do I get the back of my watch off, so I can access the battery? Will
razor blade work?

It's hard to say without seeing it. If it's friction fit you can usually
pop them off with the edge of a sharp knife. Problem is there are half a dozen
ways that case backs are kept on. Next problem is, IF it's friction fit, and IF
you can get the back off without losing any digits, then you have to get it
back on. This gets real interesting on occassion. Then, assuming you get the
back off and back on again, if you didn't replace the gasket, you have a fair
chance of it leaking. This job is not always as easy as it appears.

Or is there a special tool needed? Where can I buy this
tool?

Too many variables to answer. You may need a tool to get the back off
depending on how it comes off. You may need a different tool to get it back on
again. You may need small screwdrivers to get the battery strap off. You may
need a gasket that fits. You may need a new crystal after you break the old one
trying to get your back on. You may need new screws after yours goe flying. Oh,
and make sure your screwdrivers are non-magnetic.

Where is the least expensive place to buy a watch battery? Wal-Mart?

Radio Shack has a decent selection. If yours is an odd one, Rio Grande
sells them, but I think only in packages of 5 or 6. Thats ok though since
you'll be buying crystals, tools, and gaskets too. Should help defray the cost.
Old October 9th 03, 03:32 AM
Malcolm Kane

In message , Stephanie
writes
Hi, I am a do-it-yourselfer type person, and I refuse to pay a jewelry store
$15 to change my watch battery for waht is basically a really simple task. I
have a cheap watch, bought at Wal-Mart for $20, similar to an LA Gear watch.

Can anyone tell me:

How do I get the back of my watch off, so I can access the battery? Will
razor blade work? Or is there a special tool needed? Where can I buy this
tool?

Where is the least expensive place to buy a watch battery? Wal-Mart?

Thanks,

Stephanie

This reminds me of an old story we have here in the UK.

A man called in a woodworker to fix a problem. After some thought and
examination of the problem the man hammered a nail in and the problem
was fixed. He presented a bill for what was then a large sum one pound.
The irate man demanded a beak down of the bill, It read like this.

Nail one shilling (old money 1/20 of a pound)
Knowing which nail to knock in where and having the hammer to do it 19
shillings.

This is similar.

It is not as easy as you think. We get a steady stream of people who
say "the back has come off my watch can you put it back on". When you
examine it the signs are there that they have tried to change their own
battery. We even get watches from other battery changers (not
jewellers) to fit the back as they can't.

If you really don't want to pay $15 on a$20 watch buy a new watch.

There really are a number of potential problems and a variety of tools
may be required. Far too many variables to advise on a NG
--
Malcolm Kane
Old October 9th 03, 04:18 PM
Jools

"Malcolm Kane" wrote in message
In message , Stephanie
writes
[...]

Considering you can still get a battery changed in UK for £3.00 does not
equal around 5 dollars. if you can not get a proper job done by a
professional for around 5$ using a proper watch quality battery I would buy
another cheap watch. As a watch repairer I can tell you that DIY and watches
won't work. 15$ sounds good to me, when do I start? ;-}
Julian

Old October 10th 03, 03:17 AM
Malcolm Kane

In message , Jools
writes

Considering you can still get a battery changed in UK for £3.00 does not
equal around 5 dollars. if you can not get a proper job done by a
professional for around 5$ using a proper watch quality battery I would buy
another cheap watch. As a watch repairer I can tell you that DIY and watches
won't work. 15$ sounds good to me, when do I start? ;-}
Julian

Yes we are still at around that level. It does however seem to depend a
lot on where you go and who you go to. My wife's Aunt was paying £10 in
the outskirts of Manchester 10 or more years ago.
--
Malcolm Kane
Old October 11th 03, 02:24 AM
Bill Kuykendall

"Malcolm Kane" wrote in message
In message , Jools
writes

Considering you can still get a battery changed in UK for £3.00 does not
equal around 5 dollars. if you can not get a proper job done by a
professional for around 5$ using a proper watch quality battery I would

buy
another cheap watch. As a watch repairer I can tell you that DIY and

watches
won't work. 15$ sounds good to me, when do I start? ;-}
Julian

Yes we are still at around that level. It does however seem to depend a
lot on where you go and who you go to. My wife's Aunt was paying £10 in
the outskirts of Manchester 10 or more years ago.
--
Malcolm Kane

You can't imagine the look we get from some people when we announce a
battery change will be at least 55.00 for a Cartier. It only gets worse
when they want a new strap too...

Bill

Old October 11th 03, 06:07 PM
Jools

"Bill Kuykendall" wrote in message

[...]

Why does it cost $55.00 for a battery change in a Cartier. £34.38!!!!!!!! if
it were mechanical I would almost overhaul it for that minus parts and any
seals.
Julian

Old October 11th 03, 11:25 PM
ted.frater

Well!!! its the same old story,
its called "The emperor's new clothes"
Any one remember it??
You only have to look around you its everywhere, Not just Cartier.
Its Diamonds, Porches, Gucci bags, Caviar , etc.
Its status, social climbing, one up man-ship.
The choice is the buyers, you either fall for it or avoid it.
The fool and his money are soon parted.
Or have I upset someone?
Old October 12th 03, 02:31 AM
Bill Kuykendall

"Jools" wrote in message

[...]

Heh, overhaul is 395.00 for the quartz movement, I think 695.00 for the
chronographs?

Old October 13th 03, 01:11 AM
Jools

"Jools" wrote in message

[...]

$395 phew is that what Cartier charge you or what you charge for doing the
overhaul. How do things work in your shop????
Julian

Making the watch face removable, an idea Diana Curtis Beads 2 December 17th 04 03:13 PM
AD: Watch Faces Marisa Exter Beads 2 April 15th 04 09:59 PM
OT - Tsunami watch for coastal areas Karin Cernik Beads 20 September 26th 03 06:36 PM
Seiko watch question? Marge36 Jewelry 2 August 31st 03 07:28 AM
FYI - Watch Face Sell-out Kandice Seeber Beads 0 July 10th 03 12:47 AM