A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Textiles newsgroups » Quilting
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Mega quilter problems

Old February 26th 17, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Mega quilter problems

On Wednesday, 20 November 2013 08:55:38 UTC-5, wrote:
I recently purchased a used, but almost new, Viking mega quilter. It is skipping stitches and the thread keeps breaking. I have adjusted both tensions, and re-threaded, adjust the frame,it sews good for a minute, then the thread breaks or skips stitches. It is driving me crazy...I am new to quilting, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dora

I am just looking at a six year old machine approx. with frame but have no idea what price it should be. Asking 3500.00. I love Husqvarna and have two other machines but not a long arm. Can anyone give me an idea if that would be a good buy and how long do these machines last? It has not been serviced but she says it works great. HELP please
Ads
Old February 26th 17, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, 20 May 2016 09:59:32 UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 5:55:38 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I recently purchased a used, but almost new, Viking mega quilter. It is skipping stitches and the thread keeps breaking. I have adjusted both tensions, and re-threaded, adjust the frame,it sews good for a minute, then the thread breaks or skips stitches. It is driving me crazy...I am new to quilting, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dora

I also bought a used, well cared for Mega Quilter - owner is a friends, and I trust her in the fact she has had this machine serviced. I did a small project first, didn't have any problems ... now I've got a full size quilt on the frame and the thread keeps breaking. I've changed the needle, I'm using good quality thread ... I sew for just a few inches and thread breaks ... I'm going to check and make sure I put the bobbin in correctly. Best to all my quilter siblings. Lois.

I am just looking at this machine about six years old with frame but have no idea how much is a good price
Old February 26th 17, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, 20 November 2013 08:55:38 UTC-5, wrote:

Dora

I am looking at a six year old machine with frame that they are asking 3500..00 for. I have no idea if that is good or not. since you have recently purchased a used machine can you offer any advise?
Old February 28th 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hello Dora,
Take your machine in to an authorized dealer and get it serviced. My machine is touchy and have to use the same thread on top as in the bobbin. There is also a place on most bobbins that you can adjust the tension too.
Sandy$
Old February 28th 17, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 9:41:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hello Dora,
Take your machine in to an authorized dealer and get it serviced. My machine is touchy and have to use the same thread on top as in the bobbin.. There is also a place on most bobbins that you can adjust the tension too.
Sandy$

I Have a mega quuilter and I am having the same problems. What thread to you recommend. Also it was mentioned in an earlier about shredding the thread. What causes that. I want to have fun and feel I am reinventing the machine everytime I load something. I try a scrap quilt adjust Think OK good then load a small quilt and all the same troubles again even just putting in a new bobbin. HELP
Old February 28th 17, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Al Navas
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 7:55:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Dora

Dora,

In my case, the "skipped stitches" problem turned out to be a bad X-axis encoder. I spent several weeks troubleshooting ours, and it now works perfectly!

The problem was that the encoder would stop turning for a fraction of a second. The fix included:

1. Replace the X-axis encoder with a new one, and
2. Add spring-loaded assist to each encoder.

NO problems since!

I blogged about this issue in several articles on my Learning to Quilt blog:

http://www.startingtoquilt.com/search?q=mega+encoder

Al
Old March 1st 17, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Al Navas
external usenet poster

Donna,

I have pretty much switched to Superior Threads, as they are strong, and wonderful for quilting. I always recommend you look at their Thread Chart, and select from it:

https://vw-superiorthreads.storage.g...tion-guide.pdf

King Tut, Fantastico, and So Fine! have all done extremely well, and have performed best, with very little lint.

When using a new bobbin I always adjust the tension - every time! And I check that the tension is balanced between the topstitch and bobbin. If threads are shredding, it could be the result of several things, such as a rough spot along the thread feed areas. Or it could be caused by "skipped stitches".

Polyester is what I now use for most quilting, both topstitch and bobbin.

Al

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 9:53:25 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 9:41:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hello Dora,
Take your machine in to an authorized dealer and get it serviced. My machine is touchy and have to use the same thread on top as in the bobbin. There is also a place on most bobbins that you can adjust the tension too.
Sandy$

I Have a mega quuilter and I am having the same problems. What thread to you recommend. Also it was mentioned in an earlier about shredding the thread. What causes that. I want to have fun and feel I am reinventing the machine everytime I load something. I try a scrap quilt adjust Think OK good then load a small quilt and all the same troubles again even just putting in a new bobbin. HELP

Old May 30th 17, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

That to much for a used one.
Old July 10th 17, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

When I quilt or sew with my machine OFF of the frame it works perfect. When I try to use it on the frame my thread breaks. I've cleaned, oiled, new needle etc. Doesn't make sense why is works off the frame.
Old November 10th 17, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I had same issues. I even brought it into my dealer twice and they found nothing wrong with it. I finally realized that I had missed the very last thread guide right near the needle. I had been doing this since I've got the machine. Once I found that thread guide it kept the thread straight and haven't had an issue since. so simple once you know the answer. Good luck!