Info wanted Blake Hitch ?

Old April 10th 04, 06:20 AM
Bertie Pittman

Default Info wanted Blake Hitch ?

Hi Everyone,

Several years ago a tree surgeon showed me a knot he used while
climbing about the tree top. He called it a Blake Hitch. It was tied
in the bight of the line and around his body. It was also adjustable
and he could keep the slack out of the line that was tied to a limb
about as he moved up the tree.

I've forgot how to tie it and have lost my notes on the knot.

Anyone here ever heard of it or any thing similar?

Thanks,

Bertie
Old April 10th 04, 02:40 PM
Treenail

There are pleny of illustrations of the Blake's Hitch on the web.
Google to find them.

Arbos are also using a variety of different hitches for climbing. We
call them high performance hithes.

If you want to see the state of the art in non-rope friction hitches,
do a search on "lock jack" This is one of the tools made by ART in
Germany. A really nice tool.

Tom
Old April 11th 04, 01:27 AM
Bertie Pittman

Tom,

Thanks for the information. It was exactly what I needed and I
quickly found what I was looking for.

The first item in the list took me to a nice site with outstanding
directions and pictures. And of course there were many more sites to
visit also!

I have been a knot tyer since I can remember. As the son of a
commercial fisherman and boat owner, and later a career involving
boats and ships and specializing in ocean search and rescue I knew it
was a good knot when I was shown it a few years ago by a guy cutting
trees in the neighborhood. Maybe now having it on a CD I'll be able
to locate it the next time I need it.

I am planning on useing in rigging a safety line while doing some
roofwork. It appears to me it would work well in that situation.

I searched also for the "lock jack" tool you mentioned but didn't find
any info on it yet. Is ART a company or a news group participant?

Bertie

Old April 11th 04, 10:48 AM
ben

Bertie Pittman wrote in message . ..

I am planning on useing in rigging a safety line
I searched also for the "lock jack" tool ...

hi Bertie,

google for "lockjack" as one word (narrowed down with "arborist" or
something like that)

my tip: feed a line over the roof, inside the house and attach it to
the stairs ( I mean: attach to something more rigid than a chimney )

Ben
Old April 11th 04, 01:48 PM
Bertie Pittman

Ben,

The one word search was the trick to finding it! Thanks!

Yea.. I'm going to feed the line over and tie to a tree or something
strong. One of the things I need to do it tear the chimney off as
part of the roof repairs.

I'll make sure not to do like I heard about a guy in Maine did.. tied
the line off to the bumper of his truck and went on the roof.. In the
meantime his wife came out and took off in the truck and jerked him
off the roof before she knew what had happened.. came pretty close to
killing him.. dont need that..

Thanks again for the info.

Bertie

Old April 11th 04, 07:03 PM
Dan Lehman

Bertie Pittman wrote:

... It was tied in the bight of the line and around his body.

This is a little misleading, as the common Blake's H. (ProhKlem or
ProhGrip I might call it :-) isn't TIB (tiable in the bight). One
could tie the knot with a bight, reducing the number of turns given
that each is in doubled rope.

I've forgot how to tie it and have lost my notes on the knot.

In addition to whatever link(s) you already found, viola:

http://storrick.cnchost.com/Vertical...nderKnots.html

for a variety of knots used by cavers and others.

If you Search r.c.knots for "Prohaska" or "Blake's Hitch" you'll find a
recent thread about this knot.

Anyone here ever heard of it or any thing similar?

And there are many similar knots, many not seen in currently published
material. I.p., the given Blake's Hitch can be shortened (one less wrap,
and tuck end only through one coil, then stopper it) or lengthened or
just modified with how many wraps the end is tucked under. Heinz Prohaska
advises to increase the wraps around the end if having some slippage trouble
on account of rope stiffness (i.p., using a relatively thick rope on thin),
and to increase the wraps beyond the end if slippage seems to result from
the severity of the load). You're happily advised to throw a stopper in
the end, 2 B Sure, but you shouldn't see much slippage of the end, and an
8" or so end is ample.

This is a pretty remarkable friction hitch--both simple to tie, tenacious
in grip, easy to modify, and good at releasing for movement (wherease some
other hitches tend to need more working to loosen and then slide). In the
testing done by Lyon Equip
(avail. in pdf on-line, at:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/crr_h...1/crr01364.htm
)
it was the only hitch to hold their greatest test load in all of the ropes
they checked.

--dl*
====
Old April 21st 04, 10:14 PM
Bertie Pittman

Thanks Dan,

You are correct. I seemed to remember it as having been tied in the
bight but as I though more about it that wasn't the case. He was
using it as sort of like an adjustable loop that was hooked to his
safety belt but i'm not exactly sure of how he used it in the tree. I
saw the knot after he was on the ground and asked him about it.

At the point I saw it, it wasn't tied to a main climbing rope like
some of the internet sites show. And I may have been confused by the
way he showed me to tie it. He used a single piece of line and tied
the knot on the standing part of the line thus forming a loop.

At any rate, I've now learned more about the knot and can tie it.

Thanks for the information and the link.

Bertie

Old April 30th 04, 04:13 PM
Dan Lehman

Bertie Pittman wrote in message news:

I have been a knot tyer since I can remember. As the son of a
commercial fisherman and boat owner, and later a career involving
boats and ships and specializing in ocean search and rescue I knew it
was a good knot when I was shown it a few years ago by a guy cutting
trees in the neighborhood.

Hey, Bertie! I'd like to pick your mind (mine your mind) about your
knots knowledge esp. re commercial fishing. But I don't think I can
find a valid e-address for you. (That wood working newsgroup similarly
has nothing but for older msg.s (2003), which might be obsolete now?)

Please ping me at (taking care
first to remove 'no spam' and all numerals :-) which should leave
you with a Dan dot Lehman at host w a p dot o r g . (SPAMMERS,
ugh--what type of knot comes to mind for them!!)-:

(-;