OT Not quite jam

Old June 17th 14, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Not quite jam

I made a baker's dozen pints of strawberry jam over the weekend. Then I
promptly started on another dozen. Strawberries do not sit out
gracefully, and 12 pounds or so take up an awful lot of fridge space.
When the berries are in, they are in and need to be packed asap.

You might recall that my family having suddenly discovered that I am
mortal is _still_ fussing over me?

I was midway through my second batch of strawberry jam, when they as a
group decided I should rest. Never in my life would I consider walking
away from a batch of jam when I am in the middle of it, but they all but
carried me out of the kitchen. DD3 and DH finished it off, I have been
wondering if they could manage such a thing by themselves. DD3 is
certainly learning how and making every effort to do well.
Unfortunately, one of the first things they did was turn the pans down so
they wouldn't boil over. So my jam ended up stewing for about 3 hours.
They weren't stirring it like they should have, so the foam stayed on top
instead of getting stirred in and so they had no clue as to when it was
done (I generally start testing about 20 minutes after the foam is
gone). It has a carmelly hint, and does taste nice. Sadly it is not
jam, I have 12 pints of gumdrops. Or should that be 12, pint jars filled
with a gumdrop? I suppose that come the holidays we can cut it out of the
jars, dust it with powdered sugar, and present it as a home made old
fashioned holiday treat.

DH has said he will buy another 10 or 12 pounds of strawberries to make
up for it. DD3 figures they will go to a pick your own so as to make
sure we get good ones.
I've just been alternating between shaking my head and laughing it off.

NightMist
No, there was no Certo or Sure-Jel involved in this debacle.
Old June 17th 14, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA[_2_]

Oh, my, I am grinning here.
But they were just trying to help!!!

Ginger in CA
[real email to use is ]

Old June 17th 14, 08:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green

I did something similar many years ago: our plum tree had a great crop
and I decided to make my first jam. I bought a preserving pan, and set
about it. My Dad used to make the jam when I was at home. So, when
there were no indications of setting, after about half an hours rolling
boil, I telephoned him to ask how long it should take (I did not have a
book on making jam at the time!). When I told him how long it had been
going, he laughed and said that it would well and truly set now. So, I
put it in my prepared jars and waited for them to cool. Well, it hadn't
set to the point that your strawberry did, N.M., but there was no way it
could have been spread on bread!

Pat on the Green
..