Insured USPS package question (lampwork from eBay)

Old February 5th 04, 03:00 PM
Dr. Sooz

Default Insured USPS package question (lampwork from eBay)

Okay -- here's the deal:

I received a package from a USA lampworker. Only the package. The beads were
gone. The package was insured.

The seller put all the claim work on me -- didn't want me to send them the
busted package, sent me all the forms, told me to go to the post office and
make the claim, etc.

But as I understand it, the insurance covers the sender, not the recipient. So
the seller should have been doing all this crap, not me. In other words, it
wasn't my responsibility, it was theirs.

Should they have made good on the loss, to me? (They offered to send me
another set of beads, but only if I jumped through all the USPS insurance
hoops.)
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 5th 04, 03:31 PM
Deborah

Hi Sooz,

The Post Office will want verification on your end that the package contents
were indeed stolen. So, in order for the seller to get the money back,
she/he has to file a claim and you have to file a claim.

When I sold on eBay I had a package get stolen/not delivered. I sent the
buyer her money back immediately. When the claim came in, I got reimbursed.
No point in making the customer wait.

HTH
Best,
Deborah

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
[...]

"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old February 5th 04, 04:35 PM
Charlie

In the UK, ONLY the seller can claim. It should be the sellers
responsibility in my opinion.

Charlie.

Old February 5th 04, 06:20 PM
Tinkster

Here's how it works:

http://snipurl.com/4b2e
Old February 5th 04, 07:23 PM
Dr. Sooz

Here's how it works:

http://snipurl.com/4b2e

Got it, Tink. Thank you. I'd read that before. I had a problem with the
seller -- they were not exactly belligerent, more like they were frustrated
that this had happened, and took it out on me. Pushy and exasperated with me.
It confused me -- they seemed to want me to do the filing at odds with what the
USPS site said to do.

Sigh. It's all moot -- the papers disappeared when we moved (I didn't file
immediately, because you must wait 30 days). So I took the loss. I didn't
want to deal with the seller again after that -- they seemed angry with *me*
because the beads had been lost/stolen before they arrived.

I've bought from them since, but I won't ever again. There's a lot of
competition out there, and I can get my lampwork yearnings satisfied by other
glass artists. (Let this be a word of warning!) I won't say who they are
here, but if anyone is worried by this report and wants to know, they can email
me.

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 5th 04, 08:46 PM
Dr. Sooz

That's the worst customer service I've heard of in a long
time! I would never expect a customer of mine to do the
work if something didn't arrive, or arrived damaged.
Maybe they were having a bad day.

Nope. This went on over a good length of time. It was consistent.

They said they'd send me another set of beads, but not til everything got done.

Call them again,
explain that you moved and can't find the forms.

Too late -- I posted this out of curiosity. The deadline is over.

You're right, there are
plenty of sellers out there. Good customer service is
(almost) everything.

Yup! And a lot of people now make the beads they specialize in -- some artists
do a better job than they do. BTW, it wasn't the artist I dealt with....it was
his wife, who does all the customer service.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 5th 04, 09:16 PM
Juanita Floyd

You shouldn't have to do it Sooz. When I have had to file claims in the past,
the P.O. wants the claim form signed on the receivers end just verifying that
you didn't get it. You have to wait 30 days before you can file a claim if
something isn't delivered. In your case, you shouldn't have to wait.

Juanita

May fate bless us all according to our deeds.
Old February 5th 04, 09:52 PM
Kandice Seeber

Personally, I would rather do that part as the seller, and send the buyer a
replacement set of beads, or refund their money right away. That satisfies
the customer quickly, and I can take all the time I need to work with the
post office. The post office just needs the buyer's verification that they
did not receive the item - and that's really all the customer needs to do.
Otherwise, the customer has to wait all that time (30 days, sometimes
longer) to get their money when they paid for the item at the time of
purchase. It's just about customer service. But legally speaking, the
seller can make that your responsibility. Bad form, though, in my view.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old February 5th 04, 09:56 PM
Kandice Seeber

Yick - with all the lampwork competition out there, you would think that
seller would want to satisfy you to keep you as a repeat customer. I mean,
there is a line between customer satisfying and being too lenient, but that
seller needs to sharpen his or her people skills. You were perfectly right
to move on to other beadmakers. Heh - they lost a good customer too. I've
seen your rooms full of beads!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs