Gentle reminder - mark Off Topic messages OT

Old May 14th 04, 10:27 PM
Barbara Hass

Default Gentle reminder - mark Off Topic messages OT

Don't want to be "Mom," but popped into the ng today and noticed the
plethera of off topic threads not marked as such. Also replies from
those who don't want to read about those topics.

Gentle reminder to people posting:
This is a forum to discuss needlework and related issues. If you have
off topic information to share, need answers about an off topic issue,
or feel that you absolutely must make your political opinion heard to
the world via this newsgroup, then it is internet courtesy on
newsgroups, including this one, to mark messages relating to any other
topic as OT in the message header.

To those who don't want to read the messages:
(a) set a filter to filter out OT messages
(b) if you don't want to read what a message has to say, ignore it, or
the thread entirely. Don't risk your health by a rise in blood pressure
due to the opinion of someone you've never even met. If you like, set
your browser to filter out that person's messages entirely and then you
won't even have to worry about it. Life's too short.

I may not agree with a lot of OT posts I've seen hear through the years,
but isn't it wonderful that we have the freedom to speak our minds
without fear of death and punishment merely for having an opinion. The
line is just too gray to say "so-and-so's OT posts on such-and-such are
OK, but these other posts are not." What I dislike may be very
interesting to someone else, and vice versa.

Old May 14th 04, 11:20 PM
Diane Hare

Filters aside, sort by subject, then you can mark entire topics as
"read" with a few keystrokes . . . or just read the comments of favored
posters from those threads.

Diane Hare

Old May 15th 04, 01:03 AM
Gillian Murray

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:27:00 -0500, Barbara Hass
wrote:

There have been other complaints and I will say again, I see all OTs.

It seems it is people who use OE to read ngs who find the OTs are
stripped. I fail to see what anyone can do to remedy this, except
the person reading with OE.

This may be an embroidery group, but like all people sitting around
embroidering, the conversation drifts to cover all subjects. Chatting
while stitching is what women, particularly, have done since time
beginning I believe. In real time live groups I have specifically
noted that most talk is off topic. The group will come together
instantly to solve a stitching problem for one of the members, then
drift off again into OT.

Sheena

I have used OE ever since I found newsgroups. they do NOT strip the OT from
posts. Could it be that one has set it up to do?? I a not a techie, and DH
does most of the fiddling for me, but I can promise you the OT DOES show up.
I did just learn to killfile, such fun!!LOL

Sheena, when is the physical move, will the email be the same, and would you
privately send me your phone number so I can contact you in July?? Hugs, and
good luck with the move. Icidentally, I will email the wagonmaster in the
morning to see when there really is free time.

Gillian

Old May 15th 04, 01:59 AM
Jeri

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message
nk.net
I have used OE ever since I found newsgroups. they do NOT strip the
OT from posts. Could it be that one has set it up to do??

snip

If you use Outlook Express and reply to a post with OT: (or any word
followed by a colon) as the first word in the subject it will strip that
word and replace it with

a reply to OT: test becomes test
OT test becomes OT test
OT- test becomes OT- test
etc.

If you reply to a reply such as OT: test, it stays OT: test because
is the first word ( does get stripped and replaced but you don't
realize it because it's replaced with Re
--
Jeri
"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines."

Old May 15th 04, 02:31 AM
Gillian Murray

Jeri,

I really think you are incorrect; however I am not a computer guru. I will
do a test run, and see how it works. I have put colon in frot of the OT
title. I am very ignorant as o the mechanics of couters. DH is expert!!
Gillian
. ..

Old May 15th 04, 03:25 AM
Jeri

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message
nk.net...
Jeri,

I really think you are incorrect; however I am not a computer guru. I will
do a test run, and see how it works. I have put colon in frot of the OT
title. I am very ignorant as o the mechanics of couters. DH is expert!!
Gillian

I didn't say it stripped the OT: that YOU put in......I said when you
*reply* to a post with OT:

As you can see my reply has stripped your OT:
People who use OE have to get used to checking and putting the OT: back in
if it's been stripped.

Old May 15th 04, 03:29 PM
Dawne Peterson

Thank you Jeri for your simple explanation! I knew that the topics marked
OT were showing up that way on my screen--now I see how as an OE user I
might inadvertantly change that.
Dawne, learning something new before her 3rd cup of coffee, and putting the
OT into this header
"

Old May 15th 04, 04:38 PM
emerald

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have used OE ever since I found newsgroups. they do NOT strip the OT

from
posts. Could it be that one has set it up to do??

It depends on which version of OE you are using. AFAIK, the most recent
version does strip the "OT", the earlier ones do not.

emerald