Maybe I put the wrong topic on this? About beads, really!

Old October 18th 03, 12:30 AM
Helen C

Well, first off, I find an old dead bic lighter, rip all the guts out, tape
a piece of paper around it and fill it with wax. That way I don't have to
worry about anyone "borrowing" by lighter and the thread doesn't catch. Big
plus! I recomend bic's because they're the same size top to bottem (vs the
cheapie lighters that are very slightly tapered)

Now, you could do a freeform design, solid color, stripes or whatever but if
you want a pattern I recomend the 40x40 graph that's on bead-pattern.com in
the free section (peyote of course) (it's the one that comes with 5 graphs)
The graph is a little long but the wrap is right. If you need further
explanation, ask.

Now, I do peyote top to bottom so I drop down instead of stepping up.
Either way, it works.

Get your threaded needle, put a slipknot in the end and put this on the
lighter so you don't have to worry about that end. Now put your first row
on (should be 20 bead or 40 if you do the first two rows) Bead. Take the
slipknot out after about the third row and tug gentle to "set" the rows. You
need to do enough to cover all the plastic. This will vary depending on the
behavior of the beads (they SAY they're 11/o's but there are variations)
You'll also need 2 or 3 rows past the bottom. This should be where you end
(unless you need to add some more to the top) Take the bottom row of bead
and run your thread through twice for added security. Cinch TIGHT (but be
careful not to break the thread - not a good place to do it) and weave the
end back in through the body of the lighter. Some beads will tighten better
than others. Pull the case off the waxed core and put it on a working
lighter and you have a beaded lighter case!!!!!

Later,

Helen C

I use the japanese seed beads for mine. Czech can end up being too small
(narrower bead) and haven't really worked with Delica's. Different sized
beads will add texture as long as it's even otherwise it could bulge
unattractively (don't say a word) Experiment if you feel like it. This is
just a guideline from the hundreds of them I've made.

I've done all over patterns (diamonds, stripes, look for things the repeat
in patterns of 2, 4, 5, 10), made up a few to see how thing work, taken
ideas from embroidery, used some free patterns (with a little modification
of course) and of course tried to come up with graphs of things people have
requested (always so much fun when you're limited by the size of the medium
you're working with) Names, sports teams (names and/or colors) or I can
just ask someone for a few colors (and hope I have them!) and go from there
after I get home and attempt to put colors together.

Old October 18th 03, 12:41 AM
Dr. Sooz

And you're not predictable, Helen!!!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old October 18th 03, 12:53 AM
Helen C

Nah, I just whine a lot (I think I did say that wasn't quite the word I
wanted. Love those brain farts!)

Later,

Helen C

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
And you're not predictable, Helen!!!
~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old October 18th 03, 02:40 AM
KDK

Not invisible. I haven't gotten any bead catalogs to drool over yet- I
think I'm trying to avoid them so I don't go broke or get a severe case of
bead-lust

Best of luck on your projects and try to get some sleep!!

Kathy K

"Helen C" wrote in message
Did I turn invisible again or did anyone else see this? Re-posting it
because I wanted comments, suggestions, etc. One response just doesn't

seem
right for all the words you all have to share.

Later,

Helen C

*repost below*

Ok, first of all I know some of you don't like FMG but until I become
independantly wealthy, it's who I deal with (and since they're only about
200 miles south of me, delivery's quick) Just got their new add-on

catalog
yesterday and they have 130 new colors of the japanese seeds I like so

much.
Wah. Can't get them right now but man, do I want! Pretty sparkly colors.
As usual, there's a lot of junk in there (who wear's all that rhinestone
jewelry anyways?) but I mainly order the seeds from them. And the prices

can deal with. Now, if I can just the the cc's paid off, I'll be a happy
camper! Don't think I'll be getting the 24k gold plated or the nickel
plated though. Couldn't justify the expense even though they'd add a nice
touch of WOW. Just wanted to share and whine a little about my economic
woes (poor, poor me)

Did I ever tell you I got the loooong bugles from shipwreck beads?
Beautiful! Now, why is it I keep picturing those lovely victorian beaded
lampshades? I honestly think I don't have enough beads for that unless I
just mixed them ALL up and did some weird abstract design.

And, I've lost my marbles! Had some beads set out to make some covered
marble earrings and my lovely chillun's took them. And I can't figure out
which one it was. I might find them if I get really lucky! Or at least
clean their rooms (yuck!!!!!) Got lots of things to make but no time to

do
it in. A friend came over so as soon as she's able to get some sleep (in
this house, yah, right) Need to make a green bay packer lighter (x-mas
order so I have time)(and hoping I have enough dark green. 30 shades of
green and only ONE dark green, go figure), red, white and blue hearts,

want
to make at least ONE ornament cover (bead and button but I'll probably
modify it) AND I need to fill my earring book. There's more (isn't there
always?) but that should keep my busy for a while.

You all take care and all that. Vibes to whoever needs them!

Later,

Helen C

Old October 18th 03, 02:58 AM
Helen C

My goal(s):

To be independantly wealthy instead of too broke to pay attention.

Never run out of anything.

Always have enough free time to do what I want instead of what I HAVE to.

It's only gonna take me (roughly) 20 years to do this. Need to wait for the
rugrats to grow up and (hopefully) move out (or I could just attempt to have
them wait on me hand and foot. HAW!)

Later,

Helen C

I thought I might get some kind of comment about losing my marbles. Really
I did.

Old October 18th 03, 03:58 AM
Christina Peterson

That's a good plan. I'll add it to my own notes. I've never make a lighter
cover. But wouldn't it be easier to just do a tubular peyote?

Tina
(the voice of inexperience)

. net...

Old October 18th 03, 04:10 AM
Christina Peterson

I just put in an order with Rio. One of those that's not cheap, but not
fun. I have "made up" several things. But I didn't have the right length
head pin, so put earrings on steel head pins. And haven't like the way my
crimp were acting so I got a diiferent sized. Got ear wires in ss and gf,
which I've just begun to make for sale (as part of sets). Velvet bags,
earring cards, and some cool tissue in tan with dragon flies. The only
beads I got were a few 4mm ss and gf beads.

$200 and even the paper has no pretty colors!

But I also made a necklace with my silver dicho pale aqua flutter from
Karen. I put it with lt Azor Swarovski and green fluorite.

I need to work with Pete on the photography. I've just never had a knack
for it.

Tina

Old October 18th 03, 04:23 AM
MargieK

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:10:59 GMT, "Christina Peterson"
wrote:

But I also made a necklace with my silver dicho pale aqua flutter from
Karen. I put it with lt Azor Swarovski and green fluorite.

I need to work with Pete on the photography. I've just never had a knack
for it.

Ahhhh...I was going to ask if we could see your work, Tina. I use my
scanner because I don't have a camera that is good for jewelry.

--
Margie
http://www.PictureTrail.com/margiek

Old October 18th 03, 04:40 AM
KDK

I like your goals

Hmm - maybe since a lot of us here have lost our marbles we didn't see
anything unusual about it

Kathy (who once asked if anyone knew where her sunglasses were- while she
was wearing them!) K

Old October 18th 03, 04:43 AM
Christina Peterson

Oh no. That's just the norm around here.

Tina

"Helen C" wrote